The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I definitely have one in my top 25..
I don't just because my ballot was over crowded as it was...but I sure hope at least one of the Marx Bros films makes the countdown. I think it will.

Victim of The Night
I'm guessing Raising Arizona and Groundhog Day for tomorrow.
I'd forgotten about Groundhog Day. I wonder if I would have considered it. I enjoy the movie but is it right for my list? I will contemplate this on The Tree Of Woe.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen After Hours a few times, and while I enjoy the movie, I don't love it the way most people seem to love it. I think it's an interesting movie to watch, but it doesn't make me laugh.

Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've seen it well over a hundred times, and I never get tired of rewatching it. I'm thrilled to see that it got enough love to make the countdown. It was #2 on my list.

My list so far:
1) My Cousin Vinny (1992)
2) Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
4) When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
8) The Producers (1967)
9) Back to the Future (1985)
16) It Happened One Night (1934)

The Lady Eve is missing from page one and that’s throwing off the list. It’s because Fargo was initially listed out of order.

Here’s how the list on page one should go:
100. Sullivan’s Travels
99. The Lady Eve
98. South Park
97. Fargo
96. Home Alone
96. Austin Powers
Etc.

Edit: Man, I still managed to mess that up. Austin Powers should be 95, of course.

I definitely have one in my top 25..
Me too! But I don't think mine will be the one everybody is talking about. I don't care as long as the Bros. are represented.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Lady Eve is missing from page one and that’s throwing off the list. It’s because Fargo was initially listed out of order.

Here’s how the list on page one should go:
100. Sullivan’s Travels
99. The Lady Eve
98. South Park
97. Fargo
96. Home Alone
96. Austin Powers
Etc.
Spoiler alert: Lady Eve out, Mall Cop in

Good catch. I made a mistake on the second day I posted. I had like a like four way tie incorrectly which added Lady Eve to the list. I have corrected it in the list in the second post, but the numbering in the thread is off by one. Working on a fix.

We have 26 left, error on the first page says Arsenic is 28 but it's #27.
Edited my post, Wedding Crashers is out..

171 points, 10 lists
The Graduate
Director

Mike Nichols, 1967

Starring

Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross, Murray Hamilton

180 points, 11 lists
His Girl Friday
Director

Howard Hawks, 1940

Starring

Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy, Gene Lockhart

The Graduate is a movie I love more each time I see it. It always gets me listening to the soundtrack after. I love the antiseptic world Nichols creates. Hoffman is one of my favorite actors, so everything he is throwing out here is gold for me. It is certainly a humorous movie but I didn’t consider it for my list.

Only watched His Girl Friday once. I liked it but didn’t fall in love. I love Grant and that dialogue seems tailor made for my taste. I will give it another go at some point for sure.

Two worthy additions to the list. Both are great, but neither made my ballot. I have both The Graduate and His Girl Friday on Criterion blu ray.

Trivia: His Girl Friday: One of the first films (preceded by "Stage Door 1937" to have characters talk over the lines of other characters, for a more realistic sound Prior to this , movie characters completed their lines before the next line started.

Bingo! I had as my #6 His Girl Friday (1940)

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Starting to wonder if this countdown hates cross dressing men. Mrs. Doubtfire has surely missed, maybe Some like it Hot has too...

The Graduate is a fine film but probably wouldn't have been one I would have considered for a ballot for this particular countdown. I rewatched His Girl Friday in May (in case I decided to try and make a ballot for this) and sadly I still don't think that much of it so it would never had had a chance of a spot.

Seen: 40/76

Two days in a row with Cary Grant films revealed, and the third day something from my own list made the Countdown. His Girl Friday was my #11. The performances are great, and I enjoy the clever, quick-fire dialogue. It's ridiculous but charming, and highly entertaining.

Seen: 47/76

My List: 8
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
06. Brazil (1985) - #47
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
11. His Girl Friday (1940) - #25
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #30
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58
22. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) - #27

Reply to Topic