The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Starting to wonder if he will only have 2 appearances, the obvious picks.
No, there is plenty of Spaceballs love on MoFo (not from me) that it will surely show, too. Those three locks, I think, then maybe The Producers or Robin Hood and perhaps a surprise.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

67 points, 5 lists
When Harry Met Sally...
Director

Rob Reiner, 1989

Starring

Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher, Bruno Kirby

70 points, 4 lists
The Gold Rush
Director

Charlie Chaplin, 1925

Starring

Charlie Chaplin, Georgia Hale, Mack Swain, Tom Murray

Crikey, another twofer I liked When Harry Met Sally well enough when I saw it on release but can't say I've ever felt any real desire to rewatch it. The Gold Rush is excellent - was #11 on my pre-1930 ballot and would 100% have made it onto my ballot here had I made one - hoped that even without my support it would appear higher up this list.

Seen: 9/18

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Well, I've seen When Harry Met Sally although I don't think I found it to be a real gut-buster - but if you're looking for a quality story, and a film that really gives you a sterling romance, then you've got yourself a comedy that's more than just empty and facile "jokes". I think it's a pretty decent movie, but I reckon that if I watched it today it would get a 7/10 from me. The last time I watched it pretty much satisfied me for life and I never thought to myself, "I gotta watch When Harry Met Sally again one day." After seeing it I thought "That'll do me for When Harry Met Sally." What can I say. It's nice.

The Gold Rush I just talked about a minute ago after The Kid made it's appearance. I've been really wanting to see The Gold Rush for a while now. It's #8 in the 'All Time' countdown according to film critics a few decades ago - but then again, Modern Times is #6 in the same countdown. City Lights made #12. It looks like that one will beat The Kid in our one.

And I reckon I know which film is coming next!!!

Seen around 11/18

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Both are great films, but neither made my ballot. I have When Harry Met Sally on dvd and on digital and The Gold Rush on Criterion blu ray. I'm mildly surprised that these two films didn't end up ranking higher.

Seen 18/18.

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Watched When Harry Met Sally once and hated it. The Gold Rush is decent enough.

The Gold Rush was #4 on the MoFo Pre-1930s List as well as #78 on the MoFo Westerns List. This is the first appearance of When Harry Met Sally....

I am so relieved When Harry Met Sally... made the list. It was one of the last five or six I cut and I was worried RomComs weren't going to get enough support and a great flick like WHMS might get lost in the shuffle. Good job, MoFo!

Seen both, voted for neither.

Diehl, better edit #83 on the first page.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Since we know one for tomorrow, maybe we can get 4?

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Gold Rush was my number 9 and without a doubt my favorite Chaplin. Glad it made it.

When Harry Met Sally was decent enough but never in contention for my list here.

Eh, given Holden's comment about Mel Brooks' birthday, that doesn't seem like a horrible stretch of protocol.

ETA: oh, I see. Not an extra reveal, but the wrong movie for the number.

I've seen When Harry met Sally... at some point in my lifetime. Actually, I think I rewatched it once as a teenager, which would imply I've seen it twice in my lifetime (and actually being at least positive on the movie). It's been so long I don't remember much of it though. I'm not much of a rom-com person, but that is one I'm mildly curious to revisit because I have inkling I would probably like it.

The Gold Rush is a Chaplin I've seen. Still not a Chaplin person.

Seen 14/18

Seen Harry and Sally once, not the type of movie I normally seek out but it was a good watch.

Seen The Good Rush 2 or 3 times. I like it, thought it would be higher.

Seen both, voted for neither.

84. When Harry Met Sally - was my #17. Holds a special place for me this one. Such a funny and classic heartwarmer. Crystal is just terrific.

83 The Producers - never seen it.

Wait it's the Gold Rush not the producers? Not seen that either.

When Harry Met Sally was a nice watch. I used to be a big Meg Ryan fan. It’s good, and fun, but never n contention for my list.

Considering how much I respond to Chaplin, I should love Gold Rush. Maybe next time. No votes from me.

To Be Or Not To Be was a very entertaining watch last night. The first half hour I thought I was really going to love it. It loses some steam but has some great moments at the end too. I could see this one growing on a rewatch. Gave it a 3.5. Wouldn’t have made my list, but definitely belongs.

Not huge on romcoms, but I enjoyed When Harry Met Sally more than I expected. it has a level of humor and charm which puts it above many other romcoms I've seen. I don't love the film per se, but it's still really well-made. I watched it after I submitted my ballot, but it wouldn't have made my list anyways.

The Gold Rush is another great Chaplin film that wasn't one of the two Chaplin films I decided to go with. It's also one I should rewatch someday as I don't remember it too well.

Reply to Topic