28th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Arrrrr mateys! I have finished my voyage and enjoyed the journey on this fine vessel with all you rascals and pirates. It was a fine time filled with danger, excitement, and intrigue! Until next time, fellow crew mates.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Btw, is ed still in this Hall?

I'm sure he probably is, he's always been solid in HoFs...but let's ask him. @edarsenal How you doing?
I'm in! Just taking a break and binging on Disney Plus for a bit before jumping in this weekend, with possibly Cuties.

Ed, get your butt to watching and review my film!

I'm gonna give yours a second watch to better review it!
I hope ya like it, pretty damn excited to check out this Blind Grab.

I'm in! Just taking a break and binging on Disney Plus for a bit before jumping in this weekend, with possibly Cuties.

I hope ya like it, pretty damn excited to check out this Blind Grab.
Binging which shows on D+?

Cuties is on Netflix. Disney + has the Star Wars and Marvel series and NetGeo has some great science/history stuff on there. Stuff I enjoy.

I forgot the opening line.
I had a slightly difficult watch lined up as a future Hall of Fame nomination which I'm seriously considering scrapping - there seems to be hubbub and debate over nominees being too distressing - I don't know. In case anyone is still in doubt though, the animals on the set of The Painted Bird were treated with the upmost compassion and none were harmed whatsoever. It's all special effects.

And - I want to ask in general - does anyone consider that my reviews are a little too lengthy?

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I had a slightly difficult watch lined up as a future Hall of Fame nomination which I'm seriously considering scrapping - there seems to be hubbub and debate over nominees being too distressing - I don't know. In case anyone is still in doubt though, the animals on the set of The Painted Bird were treated with the upmost compassion and none were harmed whatsoever. It's all special effects.

And - I want to ask in general - does anyone consider that my reviews are a little too lengthy?
Your reviews are fine. You write long and I write short so it evens out.

I don't have an issue with watching distressing films. Again, my issue with The Painted Bird wasn't that it was too distressing, but simply that I was left cold by the film for the reasons I brought up in my review. So I think you should feel free to nominate whatever you want.

Also, I don't think your reviews are too long at all. I always enjoy reading them in these threads as I can tell you put a ton of work into writing them.

Rams (Grímur Hákonarson, 2015)

I'm sure its a shock to no one when I say this is flat out not my bag. The little-to-no-vibe-or-style-euro-drama thing rarely clicks with me and this is no different. If a work in a visual medium isn't going to be visually engaging I don't know what to tell you lol. Aside from that though, I'm not even really sure what the hook is supposed to be here tbh. I have not the slightest idea what its really going for or how it wants me to feel at any given time. Its just kind of nothing. I appreciate that its not needlessly bleak as a lot of films in this style tend to be and its paced well enough and the last couple scenes are probably strongest which is good I guess? Idk, not much for me to take away from this one but its not like its a bad time or anything.

...And - I want to ask in general - does anyone consider that my reviews are a little too lengthy?
I was joking of course, just trying to lightening the mood around here, it seemed we needed a little levity earlier today

is 8 sentences enough to convince anyone i watched the film or...?

Well I don't know I didn't watch it yet...was there a magical transgender character that didn't exist like in Josie and the Pussycats.

Well I don't know I didn't watch it yet...was there a magical transgender character that didn't exist like in Josie and the Pussycats.
countering my claims of you being an assh*le with a mistake i fully owned up to isn't the own you think it is my dude.

Loki, Wanda Vision, Moon Knight, and Obi-Wan, rewatched Mandalorian and Boba Fett. Watched Cruella SEVERAL times lol
I have watched Moon Knight and Obi-wan and 3 shows of Boba Fett.

Young Man and his Horn
(1950)

A young lonely boy, who wants to learn to play the trumpet, is taught by a trumpet player in a jazz band. The younger boy looks up to the trumpeter not as just a teacher but as a father figure as well. The young boy grows up to be a talented trumpet player and meets a woman who he falls in love with but she doesn't love him as much. Due to his love for his wife, who responds to everything in a very cold manner, he disregards his close friends and even the love of playing music. Their marriage is in turmoil and their life falls downhill from there. He begins to drink heavily and disregards his responsibilities. He tries to regain what he enjoys in life but things turn for the worst. Finally, his drinking and worries force him to the end and he loses what he once had. Only with the help of his true friends, he's able to gain part of what he had lost.

This is probably only one of the few films I have seen with Kirk Douglas and Doris Day, both. My favorite Kirk Douglas film is "Spartacus", with Tony Curtis, and my favorite Doris Day film is "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" with David Nivens. I have never seen any films with Lauren Bacall.

There are not many films I like from this era but I was kind of excited to see this. It is a good film and I may be up for watching it a second time.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any Lauren Bacall films, @MovieGal. Huge fan of hers, especially the ones with her husband, Humphry Bogart. I've only recently watched Spartacus from a Personal Rec HoF. Excellent film. Helluva ending.

Nice write-up with a succinct breakdown. Bravo, my dear

I have watched Moon Knight and Obi-wan and 3 shows of Boba Fett.
Need to finish Moon Knight, only a couple of episodes in and I'm enjoying Obi-Wan and thoroughly enjoyed Boba Fett.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any Lauren Bacall films, @MovieGal. Huge fan of hers, especially the ones with her husband, Humphry Bogart. I've only recently watched Spartacus from a Personal Rec HoF. Excellent film. Helluva ending.

Nice write-up with a succinct breakdown. Bravo, my dear
Always my friend Ed.

I don't watch many films that are older than me. Some from 1930a and 1940s I love, like The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Uninvited and Dragonwyck.

I remember watching Johnny Belinda, To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride of The Yankees and a few others. Mark helped me remember Baby Doll, which was strange to a 7 or 8 year old.

I did enjoy Black Narcissus very much.

The other day, I rewatched Lost Horizon and The Island of Dr. Moreau, because of Michael York.

I just can't find films before 1967 (my birth year) that I like, unless it's foreign.

We are only 3 years apart and you enjoy far more than I do.