Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

Blue Spring (Aoi haru) - 2001

Directed by Toshiaki Toyoda

Written by Toshiaki Toyoda
Based on manga by Taiyô Matsumoto

Starring Ryûhei Matsuda, Hirofumi Arai, Sôsuke Takaoka
Yûta Yamazaki & Shûgo Oshinari

While certainly not violent, my high school days felt a little bit like the Japanese boys in Toshiaki Toyoda's Blue Spring - a sense of alienation, uncertainty and rebelliousness and it always evokes a wave of nostalgia, as it certainly did for Toyoda. Although based on the manga of the same name, the director (who also adapted) also included incidents which had happened to him in high school - and that's what a good portion of Blue Spring feels like. Incidents. It's not all neatly tied together, and somewhat episodic in nature when not dealing directly with the film's two chief characters, Kujo (Ryuhei Matsuda) and Aoki (Hirofumi Arai). A couple of friends who turn enemies before the film is finished, furnishing it with an element of tragedy.

Kujo and Aoki are part of a group of friends that include Yukio (Sousuke Takaoka), Yoshimura (Shugo Oshinari) and Ota (Yuta Yamazaki). As far as leadership is concerned, of the gang that rules supreme over the school (including teachers), a clapping game is played to test the mettle of whomever wins it. Contestants hold on to a railing above what would be a fatal drop, clap their hands a number of times, and grab the railing again. Too slow and you'll miss the railing, and be on your way down. Kujo challenges, and wins leadership, but he doesn't treat it seriously which leads to conflict with his once-best friend, Aoki. This conflict affects Aoki's outlook on life, changing him in negative ways, darkening his personality and causing mental health problems. In a high school as dysfunctional as Asashi High, it's sink or swim, and Aoki, not to mention a few others, are drowning.

Asashi High in Tokyo is a filthy, run-down place with graffiti covering the walls on the inside and very few staff members to be seen - a depressing place made even more unpalatable by the students which roam it's halls with baseball bats ready to break the bones of those unfortunate enough to have displeased gang leaders and misanthropes. If a career in baseball is looking unlikely, there's always the Yakuza waiting impatiently for their next henchman while driving along the bordering streets. It's comforting to know though, that if a student does go so far as to stab another classmate to death they will finally, at long last, get into trouble. On the lighter side, you might just find yourself wet through when someone pours a bucket of water on you while you're in a toilet cubicle.

When Toyoda found a vacant school to shoot on location, he actually needed to have it roughed up and painted with graffiti, which had to be stripped and cleaned at the end of the filming schedule - a difficult task for those to whom it was given. It gives this film a sense of reality anyway. Many of the young Japanese actors (most, I feel) try to project a sense of 'toughness' and bravado - although a few are obviously more suited to being followers and gofers. In this film we don't bother much with adult authority or the teachers, and never once get to meet the parents of any of these boys. Instead Blue Spring presents us with a self-contained world - the school as the whole universe, which we never leave during the duration of the film.

There are some nice shots - including a spectacular 16 hour time-lapse one of Hirofumi Arai's Aoki standing at the railing at the top of the building from 4pm to 8pm the next morning without changing his stance - a real-life achievement from the actor which the director wasn't at all confident he could pull off, and presented to Arai before he signed on to do the film. The colour blue features prominently (as you'd expect) signaling inexperience, but with "Blue Spring" also, in Japanese, meaning "youth" or "best time of life". I notice that there's a preponderance of black as well, usually signifying anger, frustration, death and rage. Cinematographer Norimichi Kasamatsu was well experienced - but for editor Mototaka Kusakabe, Blue Spring was his first film.

The soundtrack contains a preponderance of Thee Michelle Gun Elephant songs, and this band appears to have been something of an obsession for Toshiaki Toyoda at the time. The film actually had wall-to-wall Thee Michelle Gun Elephant in it's soundtrack before producers stepped in and literally forced Toyoda to use different music during segments of the film. The music isn't bad, and finishing with the song "Drop" - a real grungy and almost angry, defiant shout of a song, fits the movie perfectly and comes at just the right time. Although in Japanese and unintelligible to me from just listening to it, the lyrics about wandering from day into night have an added sense of meaning considering the way the film ends.

I thought this film was okay, but I didn't get passionately invested in it, and I could have done without so much of it taking place in filthy toilet cubicles and featuring, lets say, "human waste product" as much as it did. I liked aspects, and the metaphorical use of flowers in the school's garden was interesting. The photograph at the start, of all of our principal players together as a tightly bonded group, gave me a sense that these kids were closer than what they ended up being - but a lot of the film is involved with the establishment of a kind of pecking order, which drives multiple wedges between these friends. In the end there wasn't much camaraderie between these kids, although by the time the credits are ready to roll, you feel that Kujo will always sadly regret turning Aoki from friend to enemy.

Do the power games and oppression at the high school relate to the politics of the adult world? Are these kids simply quick learners when it comes to iron-fisted rule, and how it safeguards those at the top? The perks of being a dictatorial leader? The fact that when you become a dictatorial leader, you also become friendless? Perhaps this is the inevitable state of a society without any real hope for the future, as evidenced by the fact that these kids seem to have little hope for one. Nobody seems to care - not their parents or their teachers, and what we have is humanity reduced to it's natural, brutal state. Swinging clubs at each other to make sure everyone stays in their place. Everything that cannot blossom is destined to remain dead, and trod on, and repressed - like these kids' and their optimistic hope for their future.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

My Favorite Year
(1982)

About a young writer who idolize an older actor, who is a womanizer and drunk, which his company has hired. He is assigned the task of watching over the older actor, who gets in all kind of antics.

I really don't have much to say as this is definitely not my type of film. If it was on TV on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I would pass it by. I'm familiar with the actors especially nice to see Selma Diamond and Adolph Green since I have seen other films/tv of them when I was younger.

And I rarely enjoy any American comedies.

Young Man With a Horn (1950)

This is the type of movie I usually watch, it has the stars that I like, a director I like and the subject matter too is to my liking. So yeah, I liked this! I mean how can it not be to my liking with Kirk Douglas, Dorris Day and Lauren Bacall.

I think my favorite part was the first half were we see a very special friendship develop between the jazz musician Art Hazard (Juano Hernandez) and Rick Martin the young man with a horn (Kirk Douglas). I especially appreciated the rare chance in an early 1950s film for a black actor to have such a large and positive role...and where the white actor was very close to him. I found that all touching and interesting from a cinematic history viewpoint, it made for a good story too.

I like the second half as well. It was unusual that Lauren Bacall's character took center stage with her neuroses. I'm gathering she was suppose to be bi-polar or something like that. Then on top of that it was very, very interesting that a 1950 movie eluded to the fact that she was a lesbian, albeit a very subtle mention. Lauren Bacall's character was so interesting that she overshadowed Kirk Douglas's character and I wanted to know more about her. Which is all very curious for a 1950s film but I guess that's the way it was written in the novel.

Doris Day...any film with Doris will make my Day Loved hearing her sing and I loved the look and feel of the swanky jazz and dance clubs that we see.

What can I say? This is my type of movie!

Every HOF I have been in, usually @edarsenal, @Citizen Rules and @TheUsualSuspect is in. This time TUS didn't participate but that ok.

Ed, get your butt to watching and review my film!

I'm gonna give yours a second watch to better review it!

My Favorite Year
(1982)

About a young writer who idolize an older actor, who is a womanizer and drunk, which his company has hired. He is assigned the task of watching over the older actor, who gets in all kind of antics.

I really don't have much to say as this is definitely not my type of film. If it was on TV on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I would pass it by. I'm familiar with the actors especially nice to see Selma Diamond and Adolph Green since I have seen other films/tv of them when I was younger.

And I rarely enjoy any American comedies.

Six whole sentences...glad I watched a three hour movie that featured
  • an old lady pissing
  • a rape of a 10 year old
  • a brutal murder of a horse
  • a brutal murder of a bird
  • a brutal murder of a ferret
  • a baby getting shot
  • a 10 year old getting thrown into a pile of shit
  • a woman f'n a goat
  • the same goat getting decapitated
but man am I so sorry that a comedy wasn't up your ally. It must have been so rough and difficult for you to sit through a 92 minute film without any child nudity.

Some members don't write long reviews, then there's Phoenix

Seriously MovieGal and sometimes Allaby...and others too, write short reviews and that's totally OK, it's just their style. I've wrote short reviews myself.

I just checked and MG wrote 7 lines about my movie (Miracle Mile) and 6 lines about Blue Spring, she doesn't usually write scathing negative reviews but chooses to be kind and say little when she doesn't like a film which is just fine. Allaby wrote 6 and half lines about My Favorite Year, also totally OK.

BTW I've wrote the smallest review, only 4 lines for Blue Spring.

Some members don't write long reviews, then there's Phoenix

Seriously MovieGal and sometimes Allaby...and others too, write short reviews and that's totally OK, it's just their style. I've wrote short reviews myself.

I just checked and MG wrote 7 lines about my movie (Miracle Mile) and 6 lines about Blue Spring, she doesn't usually write scathing negative reviews but chooses to be kind and say little when she doesn't like a film which is just fine. Allaby wrote 6 and half lines about My Favorite Year, also totally OK.

BTW I've wrote the smallest review, only 4 lines for Blue Spring.
Don't worry Phoenix , we still luv ya!!

AND the reason I DON'T write long reviews is that I don't want to give the full plot away for other who havent viewed it yet. It's kind of like your friends telling you "I don't want you to tell me about to spoil it." Which is a valid reason.

AND the reason I DON'T write long reviews is that I don't want to give the full plot away for other who havent viewed it yet. It's kind of like your friends telling you "I don't want you to tell me about to spoil it." Which is a valid reason.

Oh you care about the experience of the other reviewers. You'll nominate a film with bestiality but you don't want to be rude by spoiling the surprise of child rape. That's so considerate of you you were thinking of us when you nominated a film where a child gets thrown in a pool of shit. Yes I would hate to spoil the sense of discovery when all of those animals got tortured.

I don't write plot synopsis either in my reviews and I usually don't read them as I've either just watched the film so I know what it is about...or I'm about to watch it and don't want to know which way the story turns.

I don't write plot synopsis either in my reviews and I usually don't read them as I've either just watched the film so I know what it is about...or I'm about to watch it and don't want to know which way the story turns.
I warned you about mine when we first talked about my nomination.

Nevermind, you watched already. Lol

I warned you about mine when we first talked about my nomination.
Yes you did

If anyone wants to be upset about The Painted Bird you can blame me... because when me and MG talked I said to her it sounded like an interesting movie. It is of course all CG and fake sex, nothing real except the nudity.

Yes you did

If anyone wants to be upset about The Painted Bird you can blame me... because when me and MG talked I said to her it sounded like an interesting movie. It is of course all CG and fake sex, nothing real except the nudity.
That's what gets me, it's a movie, it's fake. Documentaries are more real, not movies.

Yes you did

Actually the point is I'm not convinced that my film was watched while I was subjected to a horrible film with child rape, animal torture and an ungodly run time.

Oh, so the animal death scenes in The Painted Bird weren't real and were just cgi? Okay, so what exactly is so objectionable about those scenes then? Like, I'm sure we're all in agreement that killing an animal in real life for a film is awful, but if people are also against cgi deaths of animals in films where the animals aren't actually hurt, what avenues should films take to show those scenes then? Or should that just be off limits from being represented in film altogether?