The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

"Beerfest" - (2006)

Right off the bat, noticed the first two actors, then I knew what I was in for. No clue that this was a Broken Lizard production. That sets the tone right from the get go, in meaning absurdity is on the horizon. I mean, who doesn't like beer...basically people I don't know.

Then Cloris Leachman strolls in, now I'm hooked. Love the premise yet the jokes are hit and miss, alas thats the nature of the beast.. In meaning, the elementary humor is in one owns eyes. Mine see it as what I expected from the onset (i.e.- see first paragraph).

Love the soundtrack and love the "Shoot The Boot". whoever tasked me to see this, kudoes.

I forgot the opening line.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch - 2001

Directed by John Cameron Mitchell

Written by John Cameron Mitchell & Stephen Trask

Starring John Cameron Mitchell, Miriam Shor
& Michael Pitt

Some novels, music and films have that old advantage of the long gestation time - and it's usually a person's first, whereupon afterwards pressure comes to bear to produce works in a timely fashion. Stephen Trask and John Cameron Mitchell started developing a series of songs in 1994 that would become part of a stage show, performing them at drag clubs - called Hedwig and the Angry Inch, it would debut off-Broadway in 1998 and the film version would eventually make it to the general public in 2001. It's an evolutionary pathway for the music, story and dialogue, and I think it's why the movie is so hard to fault - and if the music carries you away with the vision and story it's a heady mix that proves to be inspirational, exciting, intoxicating and fun. I enjoyed Hedwig and the Angry Inch far more than I ever expected to, or even thought possible. The infectious music got right into me, and John Cameron Mitchell appears to be born to play the role.

Hedwig is introduced playing a gig at a Bilgewater's restaurant in front of unimpressed onlookers who simply want to eat their meal in peace - and as future gigs continue through the movie (always at a Bilgewater's franchise) she tells us her story. Born in East Germany as Hansel Schmidt, Hedwig grows to love American music and eventually meets a U.S. Sergeant who convinces the young man to have a sex change operation which goes horribly wrong. Once married and in the U.S. he abandons her, so she picks herself up and starts writing and performing songs. While babysitting for extra money, she meets Tommy Speck, a young Christian boy she falls in love with. She teaches him music, and together they write songs - but eventually, the renamed Tommy Gnosis leaves Hedwig as well, and goes on to great fortune and fame with the songs Hedwig either wrote by herself or wrote with Tommy. Enraged, Hedwig is following Tommy's tour with her own band The Angry Inch hoping to expose the truth once and for all.

Hedwig is a character that seems dogged by misfortune - right from the very start by being born in East Germany to an abusive father and disinterested mother. The botched sex change operation is what gives rise to the term "angry inch" - as that is what she's left with (the imagination reels.) Those she loves abandon her. It's not hard to see why she's such an abrasive character - she forces her husband Yitzhak (a cross-dressing Eastern European singer, played by Miriam Shor - further crossing gender lines) to only wear men's clothing and never don a wig himself. She's confrontational, outspoken and determined. John Cameron Mitchell gives the character real flair, but also lots of personality and a real inner beauty which shines through in every scene. Hedwig has a very dignified charm which attracts my attention - it's magnetic and his expressive demeanor accentuates this to the point where lines hardly need to be spoken. I think it really helped to play this character over the course of many years before filming this feature.

The music has been written (and partly performed) by Stephen Trask, inspired in large part by the music of Lou Reed, but also David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Toni Tennille, Debbie Boone and Anne Murray. The songs are catchy to say the least (it seems like Wig in a Box will never get out of my head now) and capture the essence of the narrative so well that it flows through the movie feeling like a natural extension of the action. It's sometimes comes as straight performances from Hedwig and her Band, at others a musical interpretation of reality and was performed live by John Cameron Mitchell with the music prerecorded during filming. This helps to give the performances a 'live' feel and sound while preserving the power of the music. Highlights include "The Origin of Love" - based on a speech by Aristophanes in Plato's Symposium, "Wicked Little Town" - a version of which is sung by Hedwig and Tommy in reprise, and "Midnight Radio" - which brings the movie home, and sounds inspired by Bowie's "Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide".

While at first glance the film might seem to be about gender dysphoria, it's important to note that Hedwig's sex change operation is one forced on him, and at that time in his life he's simply a gay man. Unsuccessful, the operation leaves Hedwig in a kind of in-between state between man and women, so he relates to the Berlin Wall of his youth, not being on one side or the other - but wants to look at himself as a 'bridge' between the sexes - defining the arbitrariness of male and female gender roles. He embraces his feminine side, for this is something that helped to pick him up during the lowest point of his life, when his first husband Luther Robinson (Maurice Dean Wint) left him, but his self-image is complex and in turmoil. Hedwig yearns to find his "other half" - thinking that this is the one thing that will finally make him feel like a whole person and finally allow him to see what he truly is. Ultimately though, it will come down to Hedwig letting go of his ideas about fate and design to find out how to allow himself to just be, and to accept who he really is without so much control, either from others or himself.

For John Cameron Mitchell, this was an exceptionally impressive directorial debut, and he hasn't created much else that rises to the level of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, although I did really appreciate Rabbit Hole (released in 2010) when it came out - a memorable film that I've seen more than once. It seems that cinematographer Frank G. DeMarco helped to guide the project, and has gone on to have a close working relationship with him. DeMarco had a limited budget to work with, but managed to eke whatever he could out of the meagre sets and locations that could be afforded. DeMarco was also director of photography on Rabbit Hole and he's also filmed J.C. Chandor's All is Lost with Robert Redford. Stephen Trask also performs in the film as one of The Angry Inch bandmembers, and Miriam Shor always attracts a lot of attention from me playing the part of Yitzhak. Michael Pitt, who plays Tommy Gnosis, hasn't set the world on fire, but has had a solid career so far - he starred as Paul in Michael Haneke's pointless remake of Funny Games.

A special recognition should go to the film's animation department, and specifically Emily Hubley for creating the "Origin of Love" animated sequence which gives us a mental window into the lyrics being sung, and makes sure our attention doesn't waver from it's meaning - both literal and metaphorical. Hubley had a film career going back to the late 1970s and worked closely with John Cameron Mitchell to get the exact look he desired - this was one portion of the film which would be distinct from the stage show. Other animated sequences take us through Hedwig's reminiscences on the dreams of his childhood, and the divided/whole face - a changing tattoo on Hedwig's abdomen - has an important meaning in context with the film. The addition of this animation was a great concept for the film, delivering dream-like imagery - the absence of which would really hurt the end result. It's great to see Hubley's name up there in the main credits - an integral part of the filmmaking team.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a great film because it speaks to everyone about their path through life, not just to those suffering from any kind of issue concerning gender or sexuality. I was definitely inspired by the film, and in the best tradition of these films the rock music really underscored the powerful message. Self acceptance is hard to come by these days, with social media pushing people closer to the edge of being forced to fit certain criteria and succeed in all areas of life. The messages the film delivers hit home hard, and the experience John Cameron Mitchell already had with his character and the story allowed him to perfect not only his message but the delivery. I also have to add that the costumes and makeup - usually something I'm least aware of when watching a film - were glammed up and colourful enough to really explosively leap off the screen. It's a comparison made a lot, but I have to add - watching this really does take me back to my youth and discovering The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time, and it's a film that has reached a deserved cult classic status as well.

Being a fan of strange musicals like this (I just happen to have a longstanding love of Phantom of the Paradise) it's a puzzle as to why it's taken me such a long time to get to Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It was released around about the same time as the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, which was something of a distraction, but that was indeed a long time ago now. I simply never realised how good it was, and never came across it in general. Either it wasn't very well publicized, or I wasn't in that particular headspace at the time. Since then, the stage show has gone on to have a West End revival and to play on Broadway. I'd love to go see it one day. By the time the film was ending I was electrified, and felt I'd truly witnessed something great - all of the music pulsing through me and the images refusing the leave my retinas. Now I could understand the devotion some people have towards this movie. Everything just happened to land in the right place - and that especially goes for John Cameron Mitchell as Hedwig.

We all experience suffering in one form or another through life - tragedy and bad luck will always find us. Some people fight it with rage, and for others it's a transformative experience. Hedwig has been transformed in more ways than one - and despite how we identify what's male and female, Hedwig exists as something between the two as both, and in a positive light can be seen as a whole. Perhaps that's the goal of everyone - to become that whole, not in a literal sense, but in our minds. Acceptance and letting go of being defensive - it's hard being vulnerable, but it's the only way anything new can enter our lives - are at the core of healing from the inside out. I thought Hedwig's journey in this film is a truly beautiful one, and considering how much great music and imagery there is to find here this film finds it's way into the select group of films that simply could not be improved, but are perfect as they are.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've been keeping an eye on this thread to see the reactions to certain movies. I was really hoping Phoenix would like Hedwig, but this goes way beyond my expectations.

I love this movie so much and it thrills me whenever I see someone else also loving it.

The Player - 1992

Directed by Robert Altman

Written by Michael Tolkin (based on his novel)

Starring Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi, Fred Ward
Whoopi Goldberg & Peter Gallagher

This review contains spoilers

In The Graduate, Part II Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross would be back as Ben and Elaine - married and living together with Anne Bancroft's Mrs Robinson, who has had a stroke. Graduate screenwriter Buck Henry manages to insert Julia Roberts into his pitch, as the couple's daughter. It's 1992, and Julia Roberts is somehow being finagled into everybody's pitch in The Player - a watershed film for Robert Altman who had spent over a decade in big budget/big movie exile after a series of films that lacked commercial appeal. It must have seemed especially sweet that this popular success set about critiquing the Hollywood process - whereupon profit always seems to come at the expense of quality storytelling and novel ideas. It's a film that is absolutely as relevant today as it was back in the early 1990s.

It opens with a bravura 8 minute shot that zooms out from a painting, out of an office and through studio streets, stopping at intervals at the window to the office of Tim Robbin's Griffin Mill. Mill is an executive who spends his days listening to screenwriters pitch ideas to him, a job that puts him at odds with the artists of the filmmaking crowd - out of the thousands he listens to he can only greenlight but a few - so he'll rarely get back to many hopefuls out there who believe they have a great idea. One of these hopefuls is sending postcards to Griffin Mill, with spiteful death threats written on them. Under job pressure from newcomer Larry Levy (Peter Gallagher) a stressed Mill hunts down the most likely suspect, David Kahane (Vincent D'Onofrio) after speaking with his girlfriend June Gudmundsdottir (Greta Scacchi). Mill and Kahane fight, and in a fit of rage Mill kills what turns out to be the wrong man.

It's the metaphorical battle between the creative and commercial, and later in the film a pitch is made to Griffin for a film called Habeas Corpus that will tell us in a somewhat comedic fashion who usually wins these battles - with even a screenwriter (played wonderfully by Richard E. Grant) swayed by avarice and gladly stepping all over his own artistic integrity in the end. Director Robert Altman points his finger at the greed responsible for the decay of soulful righteousness in the movie business. Griffin Mill is a sympathetic figure amongst all of this however - an especially difficult job for Tim Robbins to pull off. In this film it's not the person - it's the job. Intelligent, softly-spoken, good-natured and thoughtful, but also ruthless, he's no saint and he is guilty of murder but somehow we're always on his side. Robbins had shaken off appearances in horrible films such as Howard the Duck to appear in Jacob's Ladder (a critical, but not a financial success) and Bob Roberts (which he also wrote and directed) just before really making his mark here.

Griffin will go on to court June, which does himself no favours inasmuch as how guilty it makes him look - the police (led by Whoopi Goldberg as Detective Avery) are suspicious, but industry insider Walter Stuckel (Fred Ward) is looking out for him. Surrounding all of this is the glamour and heady glitz of Hollywood - the celebrity cameos in this film are so numerous that it wouldn't be possible to mention them all here. Cher, Nick Nolte, Burt Reynolds, Andie MacDowell, Rod Steiger, Jeff Goldblum and Jack Lemmon all make an appearance, amongst many, many more. It gives the film a heightened sense of reality, not to mention that it's simply enjoyable to spot these faces in the crowd as if we're amongst all the celebrities - living vicariously through Griffin Mill. These stars were generous enough with their time to appear for little to no pay, probably because Altman, a popular figure as far as actors were concerned, was directing. Late in the film the 'movie within a movie' Habeas Corpus features Bruce Willis, Julia Roberts, Susan Sarandon, Peter Falk and Louise Fletcher.

Altman would be nominated for an Oscar for directing this film, but surprisingly the film itself wasn't nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award. He does a tremendous job, and I think there could have been nobody better at the helm of this particular film - Altman was "anti-Hollywood" and a non-conformist, a person this film really needed to guide the way. Geraldine Peroni was nominated for editing the film, and I have to remark that the editing in The Player is indeed exceptional, especially in a transitional sense - giving greater impact to foreshadowing and the multi-layered humour in the movie. It would be her only Oscar nomination, despite her putting together Brokeback Mountain. Cinematographer Jean Lépine was surprisingly left out of consideration, but perhaps I'm focusing too intently on that opening shot, which must have been horrendously difficult to rehearse and get just right (I think 15 takes were shot, with the 10th being used in the finished film.) I recognize Thomas Newman's score nowadays as having that kind of American Beauty signature - along with, in this case, small samples of the kind of music older films once had - sometimes sounding like two tunes, one layered over the top of the other.

Screenwriter Michael Tolkin was basing this on his own novel, first published in 1988, and was generous in allowing changes to be made although for the most part it follows along fairly true to the original source. In the novel Mill is less sympathetic, and of course readers are allowed into the main character's head (I hear he has a contempt for cinephiles!) His Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay rounded out The Player's three nomination, Tolkin losing to Ruth Prawer Jhabvala's adaptation of Howard's End. Robert Altman ended up losing to Clint Eastwood, who directed Unforgiven, and Geraldine Peroni to Joel Cox who edited that same Eastwood film, which probably would still have beat The Player for Best Picture if it had been nominated. The nominations as a whole were good for Robert Altman however, giving him long overdue recognition and the impetus to write and direct Short Cuts. The Player was an all-round success, faring well at the box office as well.

What I especially enjoyed in The Player were the references to certain films themselves. Mills initially meets David Kahane at a showing of Bicycle Thieves* - my favourite foreign language movie of all time. A detective played by Lyle Lovett talks about seeing Tod Browning's Freaks. The long opening shots of Absolute Beginners and Touch of Evil are discussed (during the long opening shot of this movie - in a very clever way, this film is referencing itself.) Posters for the likes of Casablanca and King Kong adorn walls. Films like D.O.A. are discussed and the likes of Sunset Blvd. are cleverly alluded to ("Anybody know who Joe Gillis is?") Like the celebrity cameos, it would be difficult to recall all of them here - but most of them are films I love very much, and they obviously also mean a lot to the filmmakers. They would also have known how much film lovers would enjoy seeing and hearing about all these references to their favourite films. It all adds to an already enjoyable story that has a mix of black comedy and film noir.

When the ending rolls up, I'm very much reminded of Adaptation, a film that would come along a decade later. Adaptation references it's own making, and in a sense so does The Player - The postcard sender calls Griffin Mill again, and gives him a pitch for a film which is basically everything that has happened so far - calling his film "The Player", and as long as Mill greenlights it, it will have a happy ending, which this film has. It's one of the more satisfying endings I've seen in mainstream moviemaking, and ties up the film very neatly (apparently this ending was Tim Robbins' idea.) It's the kind of film where the humour is sly, and where I don't laugh out loud but watch with a grin on my face - because I just know that not only is this silliness actually close to what Hollywood is really like, but in some cases it's probably even worse - and Robert Altman has said as much in interviews. It's one of the more interesting films to learn about, as there's always some new inside joke or cameo to discover, but it's story is just as engaging by itself. Before seeing it, I'd always assumed that it was a square-on comedy - but it's a lot more than that. The satire is more straight-faced than I thought it would be.

I haven't seen nearly enough Robert Altman films - but what I have seen I have a deep appreciation for, especially McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Thieves Like Us and Brewster McCloud. I'll add The Player to that list, for there are many different ways to enjoy watching this again - from admiring it from a technical and filmmaking standpoint, noticing new little details and cameos in the background and just watching to enjoy the story. Altman hasn't created something here that's mean-spirited or depressing, instead he lets us be seduced by what is ever so seductive about Hollywood - giving us glimpses inside and showing us why we should all admit to ourselves that the machine cranking out soulless films for mass consumption are part of an obsessive quest to give "the audience" exactly what they want. At one stage Larry Levy ponders leaving the screenwriter out of the process altogether. It's a democratic process, and we vote with our money. If we want Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis with a happy ending then why even bother making an artistic statement? It makes so much sense that a producer kills a writer in this film, before getting his happy ending - something even studio executives watching the film must have got.

* A producer watching dailies thought that Altman and co had made Bicycle Thieves as a 'film within a film' - having never heard of it.

Somebody picked that out for me in one of these and I loved it. Then I picked it for someone else and they loved it. Maybe that somebody picked it for you?

Somebody picked that out for me in one of these and I loved it. Then I picked it for someone else and they loved it. Maybe that somebody picked it for you?
A whole chain of The Players - it's a good nomination, really interesting for people into films. Been meaning to see if for a while now - along with Short Cuts, Nashville and Gosford Park.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I know I picked it for Miss Vicky once.

World's Greatest Dad (Bobcat Goldthwait, 2009)

Ok so, peace and love but this is like the opposite of what I wanted lmao. I just wanted to watch dumb shit where people fall down not a talky cringefest. I guess I should have specified that secondhand embarrassment is a feeling I really hate and that's kind of this whole movie. So the approach is already not for me at all and I can't exactly blame the film for that but I can blame it for being terrible in every other way. It's probably one of the worst looking films I've ever seen. Like, to the point that I don't think I'd enjoy it even if it was the funniest shit I'd ever seen. Has big student film vibes, which seems to be par for the course with Goldthwait's films (though I like his found footage big foot movie a lot more than this) and completely lacks any fun whatsoever and of course zero laughs as well. The film also has a ton of really terrible songs in it that just date it so badly. This was pretty painful to watch and I had to take a number of breaks throughout. Yeah, just not for me on any level.

Kung Fu Hustle (Kung Fu) - 2004

Directed by Stephen Chow

Written by Stephen Chow, Kan-Cheung Tsang, Xin Huo
& Man Keung Chan

Starring Stephen Chow, Qiu Yuen, Wah Yuen
Siu-Lung Leung & Tze-Chung Lam

I usually find that comedy doesn't translate too well - and when I think of anything related to China I think of stony-faced, authoritarian henchmen who'll drag you to jail if you laugh, but Stephen Chow, director of Kung Fu Hustle, seems to have a sense of humour that transcends national boundaries. If you listen to a commentary on the film from Chow and actors Lam Chi-chung, Tin Kai Man and Chan Kwok-kwan you'll hear them joke, make fun of their film and tease each other in the most amusing way. These guys love to laugh and kid around, and they bring us a kung fu film that reminds me of the Zucker bros and Jim Abrahams who brought to the screen a new kind of cartoonish and outrageous comedy in the 1980s. Anything goes in the cinematic universe Chow has created here, where mystical kung fu techniques unleash all manner of havoc and destruction.

It all takes place in Shanghai during the 1940s, where gangs dominate the streets - the most fearful of which is the notorious 'Axe Gang'. A couple of clumsy and inexperienced hustlers (Sing, played by Stephen Chow and Bone, played by Lam Chi-chung) arrive in the poor, downtrodden Pigsty Alley claiming to be Axe Gang members. When they're quickly dispatched the real Axe Gang arrive, which precipitates a conflict, and this draws three top level kung fu masters out of their everyday occupations. To deal with this, the Axe Gang's leader Brother Sum (Danny Chan Kwok-kwan) retaliates with two masters of his own, and to the rescue come the slum's landlords, played by Yuen Qiu and Yuen Wah, who'll eventually have to confront the deadliest master of all, The Beast (Leung Siu-lung) - their best chance for victory may very well come from the most unexpected source.

Chow has brought a few Chinese stars back after a long hiatus for this film, such as Leung Siu-lung who is appearing on film for the first time in 16 years (and after which he started finding regular work again.) Similarly, Qiu Yuen (often referred to in the film as "fat lady") hadn't graced a screen for 19 years herself. The writer and director sought out actors he had a deep admiration for, and had seen in his youth watching Hong Kong action cinema - and I have to admit these two making their comeback are particularly good here. I loved the deeply dark and violent Beast, and the "fat" landlady (I didn't think she looked particularly fat) was one of the funniest characters in the film. Tze-Chung Lam as Sing's sidekick Bone has a real rotund, friendly charm. Wah Yuen and Danny Kwok-Kwan Chan as the landlord and Brother Sum respectively were quite good in their roles. A lot of the humour comes from a very clever screenplay, written by Stephen Chow, Kan-Cheung Tsang, Xin Huo and Man Keung Chan.

No doubt this film is very funny, but it's also fun to watch a kung fu film where all limits are off the table and anything can happen. The martial arts choreography was handled by Yuen Woo-ping, an expert who also worked on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Matrix films amongst many others. There is some wire-work here, but it's not exactly the same as in Crouching Tiger, as in this film there's a whole mixture of techniques, and many differing styles used. The supernatural is also delved into, with a lot of help from CGI, of which there is much use of. For the most part it fits the cartoonish style of this movie, but at times - like when someone falls from an upper story window and ends up on the pavement with a flower pot on his head - I felt that practical effects could and should have been used. Chow demanded a lot from his computer effects team, and for the most part they came through - I'm not a huge fan of CGI, but this film couldn't have existed without CGI.

You get the sense that Bruce Lee was something of an inspiration for Chow, and there are many nods to his past films - but Kung Fu Hustle goes much farther than that, as there are references to other famous films such as Casablanca, The Untouchables and Stephen Chow's previous hit comedy Shaolin Soccer when Sing deflates a soccer ball and announces that there will be no soccer in this film ("No more soccer!") Often lines such as "make him an offer he can't refuse" and "tomorrow is another day" give us that familiar feeling amidst the surroundings of 1940s Shanghai - which has really been brought back to life by the set designers who scoured China for the props and décor to enable a real-life approximation of that era. Production designer Oliver Wong deserves particular praise for this. He worked again with Chow on 2008 film CJ7.

Director of photography Hang-Sang Poon captures some well directed action with fluid camera movements, with many tracking shots covering everything that occurs in Pigsty Alley, and there are some pretty good long takes in there, challenging the actors and director Chow. This being a part-action film, there will be a lot of movement, but even in it's quieter moments Kung Fu Hustle is a visually kinetic film that looks really interesting and attractive. Traditional Chinese music is used throughout the film, which comes from Stephen Chow himself and Ying-Wah Wong who scores many of Chow's films. There is a lot of sound and action, which at times grows to cartoon-level fantasy - the 'Lions Roar' Kung Fu technique can create hurricanes, and at one stage our fat Landlady and Sing are involved in a chase that comes directly from the Road Runner cartoons with blurry fast-moving legs and a speed which has them zooming past (or under) trucks. In this funny film, the outrageous works and fits in perfectly as part of the fun.

The mystic can find a way into the story with these effects - for example, a pair of blind masters use their musical instrument to summon swords, fists and demons which overwhelm their enemies. Late in the film the Buddhist Palm technique levels buildings and punches massive holes in the sidewalk. The Beast uses a kind of 'Toad' technique to launch himself into his foes, and jump high distances (while sporting a toad-like gullet.) Normally, physical comedy does nothing for me, but Kung Fu Hustle thankfully doesn't rely completely on physical gags and puts a lot of stock in clever dialogue and fun characters - and part of me was laughing because I'd never really seen a comedy from China/Hong Kong before, and this wasn't some Western film poking fun at kung fu or Asian cinema, but a Chinese film with a great sense of humour. It surprised me, and was much better than I thought it was going to be.

Underneath it all, Kung Fu Hustle tells a sweet story of one downtrodden man who once tried to learn how to be a kung fu master from a booklet, and wanted to protect an innocent little girl from bullies (only to be beaten up and humiliated.) Now a man, he comes across her (played by Huang Shengyi - an amazingly beautiful actress) again but rejects all notions of being the 'good guy' who always loses. The scenes between the two characters give the film some emotional resonance - but Chow doesn't waste too much time and the tone is kept either light or exciting for most of the film's running time. I can see why it was so successful - I found it to be a very funny film with loads of charm and feeling. Stephen Chow has a natural feel for what works comedically - something I can gather from hearing him talk and in the way he performs. Everyone involved in this film - from it's fight choreographer to it's lead star to it's production designer - were at the top of their game and created a film I really enjoyed.

A wonderfully silly kung fu film with some memorable characters and many sequences involving wild fantasy and visual flourishes. It would have been so much fun to have seen this in a full cinema filled with laughter - there's nothing better than feeling that energy during a really funny film. This came as part of a new wave of martial arts cinema from China which incorporate many trends in modern filmmaking - and the comedy is a large part of that. I feel encouraged to seek out similar such films, and more films from Stephen Chow based on how much I enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle, and encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a go - even if it's genre isn't your thing. It just has that universal kind of appeal, and is nearly guaranteed to pick you up and leave you happy for having seen it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It opens with a bravura 8 minute shot that zooms out from a painting, out of an office and through studio streets, stopping at intervals at the window to the office of Tim Robbin's Griffin Mill.
It's probably one of the worst looking films I've ever seen.
So her's a general question that these two reviews got me thinking about... are comedies almost always less concerned with how the film looks?

I feel like a lot of comedies don't really bother with any visual appeal, it's all about the jokes. Which is a shame, because it seems like there is a lot of potential for the style to be a part of the humour. It's there in films like The Player, where they are using techniques as part of a movie satire. Edgar Wright utilizes style as part of the humour and something like Playtime is all about the visuals.

I think it's one of the biggest problems with comedy movies that they are often ugly, which makes it hard to admire them even if they are funny.

If anyone has any recommendations for comedy movies that are also visually appealing, please share.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
So her's a general question that these two reviews got me thinking about... are comedies almost always less concerned with how the film looks?

I feel like a lot of comedies don't really bother with any visual appeal, it's all about the jokes. Which is a shame, because it seems like there is a lot of potential for the style to be a part of the humour. It's there in films like The Player, where they are using techniques as part of a movie satire. Edgar Wright utilizes style as part of the humour and something like Playtime is all about the visuals.

I think it's one of the biggest problems with comedy movies that they are often ugly, which makes it hard to admire them even if they are funny.

If anyone has any recommendations for comedy movies that are also visually appealing, please share.

Young Frankenstein
Wes Anderson movies
Edgar Wright movies
Coen Brothers comedies