The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

...I totally get what you're saying about the extremity of the domestic violence subplot taking this out of comedy territory for you...
I could've loved this movie without the terror/thriller factor from the abusive husband (though he did a great acting job I must say.)

In the 'romantic' scene where the doctor shows up at the door of the waitress's house while the husband is at work...and they share a bonding moment making pies...that didn't work for me as I'm thinking the wife would be terrified that the husband would come home and kill them both, so that the romantic aspect of that scene is impossible due to the intensity of the abusive husband. These two elements cancel each other out.

But like I said the same kind of psycho creep worked great for Dolores Claiborne a film I liked. But with a comedy those two elements didn't work for me. I like to keep my food on my plate separate. I hate it when my mash potatoes gets cranberry sauce on it at Thanksgiving

I watched Waitress for the Movies Directed By Women countdown, and I liked the movie, but I didn't think of it as a comedy movie. I think it's more of a drama with some funny moments.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Hey Citizen, you just made me want to see Waitress, thanks!

When my future wife and I first watched Happiness, and we laughed hysterically throughout, I knew she was the girl for me.
You guys should watch it, if you do post about it here, I'm interested in your reactions. My wife watches all these HoF films with me and she liked Waitress better than I did.

Knives Out (2019)

This was OK, but nothing that hasn't been done many times before and not nearly as funny as that poster would seem to suggest. What is funny is that the movie referenced Clue, which is a wildly funny who-done-it mystery movie.

Knives Out has this cool collection of knives arranged in a circular pattern on a grid that makes for a interesting backdrop, but with 2 hours 10 minutes the characters themselves didn't get to shine and aren't all that interesting. Oh, their bizarre tendencies were eluded too but never delved into deep enough to satisfy. Instead maximum script time is spent on the mysterious death of a famous, ready for this, mystery writer. The film could've been shortened by 20-30 minutes as the murder mystery itself ran out of steam, thus evoking padding so that the magic 2 hour+ runtime could be achieved.

No real complaints here, just not all that interesting and I'm not sure I seen anything that could be described as funny.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	KNIVESOUTY2019M-lgi-landscape-poster-1920X1080-PSTL.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	86206  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked that he spin the classic who dunnit mystery. It's that at the beginning, then it becomes something different in the middle and reverts back to it towards the end. I look forward to the sequels.

Suspect's Reviews

Knives Out (2019)

This was OK, but nothing that hasn't been done many times before and not nearly as funny as that poster would seem to suggest. What is funny is that the movie referenced Clue, which is a wildly funny who-done-it mystery movie.

Knives Out has this cool collection of knives arranged in a circular pattern on a grid that makes for a interesting backdrop, but with 2 hours 10 minutes the characters themselves didn't get to shine and aren't all that interesting. Oh, their bizarre tendencies were eluded too but never delved into deep enough to satisfy. Instead maximum script time is spent on the mysterious death of a famous, ready for this, mystery writer. The film could've been shortened by 20-30 minutes as the murder mystery itself ran out of steam, thus evoking padding so that the magic 2 hour+ runtime could be achieved.

No real complaints here, just not all that interesting and I'm not sure I seen anything that could be described as funny.
Sorry you didn't like it more. I thought it was one of the most entertaining films I've seen that has come out in recent years.

Sorry you didn't like it more. I thought it was one of the most entertaining films I've seen that has come out in recent years.
Me and the wife felt the same about Knives Out. I'm surprised you liked it that much it seemed pretty low key which usually is my thing but not this time around.

I liked that he spin the classic who dunnit mystery. It's that at the beginning, then it becomes something different in the middle and reverts back to it towards the end. I look forward to the sequels.
Same.

I also thought that it was incredibly rewarding to watch a second time around.

Don't Talk to Irene

Had never heard of this before and that makes sense since its Canadian, it wasn't a big hit, and I'm not the target audience. Kind of a lame story, and one that's been recycled countless times-high school nerd overcomes and achieves. Irene is overweight, wears glasses, has no social skills or friends, and against stereotype and also sort of cruelly, isn't very smart. She's obviously bullied at school and ends up getting suspended and having to do community service at an old folks home along with two of her tormentors. Her dream, of course, is to make her school's cheerleading squad. Whoever made this film must not have played or watched sports because if they did, they'd know that if you're a cheerleader you need to be hot or else you'll face flying tomatoes. We are supposed to get a heartwarming film with the message that people can be whatever they want to be. What this leads to is a climatic dance routine with Irene, some of the elderly, and other assorted misfits to the sound of Milli Vanilli. I had to turn down the volume in case someone in my building heard what I was listening to. What would they think? Fortunately the movie is a breeze to watch and it's pretty funny. There is some pretty good semi-raunchy comedy. If it went for that full hog throughout this really could have been something. As it is, it's a decent movie and was a solid nomination.

I forgot the opening line.

Swiss Army Man - 2016

Directed by Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert

Written by Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert

Starring Paul Dano & Daniel Radcliffe

Swiss Army Man had me running the whole gamut of critical opinion during it's runtime - from hating it and thinking it's stupid to warming to it as it began to elicit out-loud laughter and then full-on appreciation for what the filmmakers were trying to do during an unexpected period of adding meaning and and emotional complexity to what started out as a crude kid's joke of a movie. There was just a steady build-up of admiration and recognition until by the end I felt like I'd gained a fair amount of enjoyment from what I'd seen. I was well aware of how coarse this was going to be, with the basic premise of a corpse being used as a survival tool and makeshift company for a stranded man in the wilderness. I knew it would take some ingenuity for it not to turn into a crass vehicle for immature, dumb antics.

Paul Dano, who I'm especially fond of, plays Hank Thompson. Seemingly stranded on an island, Hank has been sending trash along the waves in a bid to elicit rescue. One day, in despair, he prepares to hang himself, but at the very last moment spots a body (Daniel Radcliffe in what is probably his most unusual role) washed up on the shore. Hoping the man is alive, Hank tries to revive him, but the body's only response is gaseous flatulence - which increases to such a surreal extent that Hank is soon using the body as a kind of human jet-ski, exposing it's rear end and riding it in paroxysms of joy. Hank rides the body to the mainland and begins a long trek back to civilization - and if you're queasy already hold on to your lunch, because for Hank the body eventually becomes a water source after swallowing large quantities. All Hank has to do is press on it's gut, and he gets a water fountain he can drink from. Then, in his psychologically fragile state, Hank starts to hear the body talking to him.

The two form a bond, and soon Hank realizes that the body's penis is pointing the way back to civilization (it's at around this stage that I'd be exhorting all my friends who are leaving that it gets better - in fact, many audience members walked out of the theater when the film was screened at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival.) As the relationship between the body and Hank develops (the body has a kind of zero-state knowledge of humanity and is taught everything by Hank) they begin to explore issues of love and human connection, and more of Hank's difficulty adjusting to love and real life are revealed. The two of them build a kind of faux reality with a home, a bus, friends and an entire life they live out in the middle of nowhere - and Hank even dresses up to simulate a female mate that the body (now called Manny) may have once had. You start getting the sense that this pretend world is better for Hank than the real world ever was - but also that the two of them are very close to the real world again and that this real world might be even more foreign to Hank than it was before.

I originally thought this was a film where Dano's character was going to use a dead body as a survival tool in the wilderness, and perhaps prop him up and treat him as a friend ala Tom Hanks with the beach ball in Cast Away (his character's name of Hank Thompson is an obvious derivative based on this.) The "swiss army knife" idea is used consistently throughout the film - Hank learns that the body's arm has a swift chopping action, that if he pushes things down it's throat and pushes on it's gut it acts like a grappling hook or gun and various other neat tricks. But what I didn't expect was for Daniel Radcliffe to have a role in the film where he speaks to Hank and has an actual relationship with him. Through that we get to learn so much more about Hank and his complex psychological makeup. As Hank teaches the body to be human again, we learn of his complex relationship with his father, the loss of his mother, and the trouble Hank has socializing and especially his fear of the opposite sex. The sad and lonely Hank eventually reveals himself to be just the kind of person to develop a close relationship with a dead person rather than a living one.

This was written and directed by the "Daniels" - as they prefer to be called. Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. This is their first feature after some successful experience putting music videos together in their specific kind of style - usually featuring something that's visually unusual. It was that same kind of visual idea - a man riding a corpse whose flatulence is propelling them forward through the waves - that gave them the initial starting point for this feature. It's surreal, and Paul Dano really turns it into something of complete unbridled joy. They got Dano to sign on when describing their film as one where they wanted to make a movie in which "the first fart makes you laugh and the last fart makes you cry." The film's young cinematographer, Larkin Seiple, would go on to film the remarkable Childish Gambino/Donald Glover music video for "This is America" - everything about the production speaks to a new younger generation giving artistic expression to a kind of lowbrow humour that often mixes in with surreal, meaningful and artistic qualities quite well.

A very special mention has to be given to the soundtrack. Andy Hull & Robert McDowell have written and arranged something that is unusual and superb - the entire thing basically only consists of a cappella musical interludes that rise in dramatic ways, which were performed by actors Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe. On paper that sounds horrible, but in practice, in concert with the film, it's surprisingly magnificent and easily one of my favourite aspects of the film. These compositions are amazing, and cover every emotion - at times these songs are quite funny and relate to plot points and dialogue, at other specific moments they heighten the emotional impact of more serious and moving scenes to a great extent. It's unusual, original and best of all compliments the film exactly like a score should. This is one aspect of Swiss Army Man I'm not likely to ever forget. In fact, if I watch the film again it will be to listen to that music in concert with the film's more dramatic and funny moments.

Initially I thought Paul Dano was ill-suited to the material, but as with many other things this subsided once Daniel Radcliffe's character became a force he could interact with. After that I thought Dano was terrific. Editor Matthew Hannam worked on a personal favourite of mine - 2015 film James White - he also did a great job. Overall, after initially cringing a bit and not really being in tune with Swiss Army Man I really began to get into it, at first in a humorous way and finally as a film in all aspects. Some of it is out of this world great - and for that it's definitely a film I could see myself going back to for a second viewing, perhaps even being more attuned to the film's opening 15 to 20 minutes. As a comedy it didn't hit me square on and have me laughing all the way home for its entire runtime, but overall it's pretty funny and has it's hilarious moments. The rest is made up for in a holistic sense when the Daniels aim for more than lowbrow comedy and successfully make more of an artistic statement with their film.

And for all those who watch the film - keep a close eye out for the sasquatch.

For those who love this film, the Daniels' new film, Everything Everywhere All at Once, looks like it might be really good and opens tomorrow, 25th March 2022.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Bank Dick (1940)

Glad to have watched this as it's on The Roger Ebert's Great Movies list. I was curious about watching another W.C. Fields movies as I hadn't loved the others...Same goes here. I did find aspects of the film funny but the story was so loosely woven that my attention wondered, err I mean wandered and well truth be told I was tired too. The biggest draw for me was seeing Una Merkle an actress that always lights up the screen with her squeaky voice and comedic characters.

a personal favourite of mine - 2015 film James White
A very strong film. Just watched it for the first time last year.

And for all those who watch the film - keep a close eye out for the sasquatch.
Paging Captain Terror! Paging @CaptainTerror;!

A very strong film. Just watched it for the first time last year.

Paging Captain Terror! Paging @CaptainTerror;!
I have seen this film but do not remember a 'squatch. *sigh*

*RE-adds Swiss Army Man to watchlist*

Initially, I thought I was going to hate Swiss Army Man - during the first third or so I was disliking everything about it - but I felt it underwent a radical change as it went along and my opinion had changed by the end. I can't help but wonder about all the people who walked out on it - if they might have had the same change of heart if they'd stuck with it.

[James White] A very strong film. Just watched it for the first time last year.
I recommended James White to everyone I could after seeing it. Christopher Abbott takes that character and does spellbinding things with him - a really brave performance. I'm perplexed over the fact that writer/director James Mond has done so little since making such a fine movie.

Christopher Abbott takes that character and does spellbinding things with him - a really brave performance.
Every time I see him in a movie, I'm like, "Why do I know this guy? Why does he make me sort of uncomfortable?"

Then I look at his filmography, realize the films of his I've seen, and I'm like "Oh, right."

Arthur - 1981

Directed by Steve Gordon

Written by Steve Gordon

Starring Dudley Moore, Sir John Gielgud
& Liza Minnelli

Listening to "The Best That You Can Do (Arthur's Theme)" puts me in a good mood - a neat thing to have that song to introduce your film. Written by a committee including Burt Bacharach and performed by Christopher Cross, it won the Oscar for Best Original Song in 1982, and quite deservingly so - though it was up against Lionel Richie's "Endless Love" among other interesting choices. One of the song's writers, Peter Allen, thought up the main chorus line while his flight circled the airport at New York - and for that thought alone he's an Oscar winner. Peter O'Toole had a storied career lasting over half a century but left this world empty handed - Peter Allen had a thought on an airplane and is an Oscar winner. Funny world. But anyway, what good spirits I was in when introduced to Arthur - Dudley Moore's most enduring character - and the only one he himself was Oscar-nominated for.

Arthur Bach is a happy drunk, and is very often drunk. He drinks not because he's otherwise miserable, but because he believes in wringing every bit of fun and excitement out of life. It helps being rich, and Arthur comes from a very wealthy New York family. He's someone who has never really grown up, much to his father's chagrin - Stanford Bach wants him to marry Susan Johnson (Jill Eikenberry) and settle down. It's with thoughts of marriage and the more suitable goal of marrying the woman you love that he spots Linda Marolla (Liza Minnelli) shoplifting while out with his valet Hobson (Sir John Gielgud). He immediately senses a kindred spirit - but he has been threatened with being cut off from his family funds if he doesn't become engaged to Susan. An impossible choice looms, and conflict seem inevitable. Arthur, however, is not one to come up with grand schemes - he muddles through an engagement to Susan and courtship with Linda in his usual drunken play-it-by-ear style, sadly also having to contend with the imminent demise of his beloved Hobson.

So, after being cheered by Arthur's theme song and ready to accept anything that comes my way I thankfully found that Dudley Moore's performance doesn't irritate - and is in fact somewhat charming. His humour finds a place in the light-hearted appreciation of his own somewhat off-key jokes, and he's introduced picking up a prostitute which wipes any high-minded concept he may have of himself off the map straight from the get-go. Later we're introduced to Hobson, who Sir John Gielgud plays in a rather stiff manner, which suits a stuffy valet (one albeit, who shows very tender affection for Arthur) but never challenges the actor to the point where I'd automatically see why he deserved the Oscar he won for his performance. Liza Minelli I'm really not sure about - she plays her part so straight that you get the sense she's Dudley Moore's foil in this. Just your average every day waitress trying to earn a living (one day hoping to become an actress) - but when she's introduced in a bright yellow and red costume, shoplifting, she seems to promise a character that's much more eccentric and playful than she ends up being.

I've held off from seeing Arthur for so long simply because I don't find Dudley Moore appealing. He occupied a place as a high-profile leading man for only a short period of time in the late 1970s and early 80s, and after a few successes went on to play parts in dismally average to horrible Hollywood-standard comedies. I'd only seen him in three films before this, and all of those films are pretty bad. I think my curiosity got the best of me when I sought out Best Defense, which has a reputation for being awful. Eddie Murphy, who is in the film for only a few minutes of it's runtime, was used in previews to try and offset just how lousy the rest of the film is. I have no idea why, but I ended up seeing Santa Claus: The Movie at a cinema - produced by the Salkinds and directed by Supergirl's Jeannot Szwarc it misses the mark by a mile. Dudley Moore appears as Elf Patch in that - a leading role. Meanwhile, Wholly Moses! takes the cake as far as unfunny comedy goes, and in my mind is probably the worst of those three. When you start out lukewarm to cold on an actor, and then see him only in horrible movies, it leaves an impression. When rumours started to spread in the press that he was physically abusive towards his girlfriend, my opinion of him dropped even further.

You can't always blame a lead actor for a film's lack of quality, and you can't always believe what you read in the press - or what is alleged in court. Looking at Dudley Moore today I get a sadder impression - he started out as a musician, and then on television as a comic becoming famous when partnering with Peter Cook. I don't think his sense of comedy was ever really in step with mine, and I'm more drawn to Cook when I see them perform together. Although well-known enough in film as well, it wasn't until he starred in 10 in 1979 that his name became synonymous with big budget features. Wholly Moses! followed and garnered terrible reviews, but he went on to rectify that and improve on the success of 10 when Arthur was released in 1981 and he found himself Oscar-nominated and the lead in the 4th most lucrative film of the year. After that, Dudley Moore starred in a string of critically panned box office flops throughout the 80s - his career as a leading man not really living up to the stature he had in those days. Towards the mid-to-late 90s he was diagnosed with progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) - his output had fallen away after a few failed sit-coms as he struggled with his health, passing away in 2002.

The promise writer/director Steve Gordon had with Arthur could never be realised after he died suddenly on November 27, 1982 from a heart attack. This left Arthur as the only film he ever directed after a career in television and writing the screenplay for The One and Only in 1978. His script for Arthur had also been nominated for an Academy Award. Cinematographer Fred Schuler is notable for being behind the camera on a John Cassavetes favourite of mine, Gloria and the renowned Scorsese film The King of Comedy, but he never really found himself at a point of his career where he was in demand for the best productions going around, and after filming Fletch in the mid 80s was less likely to be involved in good movie-making. Editor Susan E. Morse was a long-time collaborator with Woody Allen and put together most of his work from the late 70s to the late 90s, receiving an Oscar nomination for her work on Hannah and Her Sisters. It's ironic to note that along with Gordon's direction and screenplay, most of the success for Arthur can be attributed to Dudley Moore's ad-libbing on set - and perhaps as his career continued he had less of an opportunity to show this side of his talent.

I find Arthur at times amusing, with enough appeal to at least slightly enjoy it's hour and a half of whimsy and cheerfulness. The character may have never grown up, but he never stoops to childishness or immaturity. We don't become overwhelmed by the trappings of his wealth, and when he goes out with Linda he doesn't hire a theme park for the night but simply goes there with her to enjoy himself - in fact he delights in winning cheap prizes. Arthur even toys with the idea of giving all of his wealth up, if only to be able to date Linda free from all the complications his family is providing him. He has a helpful and caring ally in Hobson, but their relationship isn't fully exploited when it comes time for those two characters to say goodbye. In fact, there are a lot of events in Arthur which are skipped by and which we don't see - Hobson's death and funeral being two of them. Throughout all of this, it's Arthur's drunken mirth and spontaneity which keeps anything from getting too dour. In the face of meeting his potential father-in-law Burt (Stephen Elliott), who obviously hates him despite Susan's love for him, Arthur always breaks the tension by trying to be funny. Moore and Elliott share what is probably the film's best scene in front of a moose-head, which continually distracts Arthur.

Despite all of this, I never found the film to be hilariously funny or dramatically moving. There is no sense of real love shared between Moore's Arthur and Minnelli's Linda - in fact they seem not much more than casual friends. There's not only a lack of sexuality, but a sheer dearth of chemistry between the two of them which made this a love story I could never really buy into. The only two things I could really believe in were Hobson's love for Arthur (perhaps this is a hint to his power in the movie and the acclaim it gained) and Susan's yearning for some kind of intimate connection between them (and also Burt's hatred for Arthur.) A long list of casting choices were thrown around for the role of Linda - and it's interesting to note that Moore's wife at the time - Tuesday Weld, was initially offered the role. It's also interesting to note that not only did Bud Cort turn down the role of Billy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but he had also signed on to portray Arthur in this before dropping out - Cort's was an entire career of lost opportunity after appearing in Harold and Maude and Brewster McCloud in the early 1970s.

The character of Hobson gets the best lines, by far - and these were non-ad-libbed lines, as Sir John Gielgud didn't understand most of the material he was reading. The delight people took in watching him dryly read these lines (me included) give the impression of comic timing and humour that he deserves appreciation for, even if he wasn't always completely in the moment - and the nominations for Best Supporting Actor that particular year were thin if you exclude Jack Nicholson, whose supporting role in Reds I've yet to see. His Oscar win might still have been a surprise - but he was a popular choice, and is still singled out for praise to this day when the topic of Arthur comes up. He's a definite asset to the film, and there's much more chemistry between him and Moore than there is between Moore and Minnelli. I'd still contend that this role was hardly a challenge for the experienced actor, but his presence and steadfast and steady line-reading are enjoyable to watch - and carried over into the not-so-great sequel in 1988, Arthur 2 : On the Rocks, his part in it being the only segments of that film I've yet seen.

Many people love Arthur and rate it highly. I think it's fine, and it didn't pain me to watch it, but I didn't love it - it joins a large group of 80s comedies which pass the time easily enough but don't become automatic favourites. Despite not being a great fan of Dudley Moore, I found his performance quite good - and perhaps this begins the start of a rehabilitation of his image in my eyes, although there's not much else out there that can further carry that trend along. Watching an interview of him near his death did much to soften my stance, although if he was violent at all towards any woman he deserves condemning for that. It would have been interesting if he'd taken some more dramatic roles to see if he had a greater range as an actor - I think he might have. Arthur will forever remain the high-point of his career. It's easy to imagine that he would have seen it at the time as the start of great things, but it was in a sense a beginning and an end. In 2011 a senseless remake of Arthur starring Russell Brand in the title role failed to even come close to the original. It may have taken me a long time to get around to watching the original, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll never watch that version of Arthur - not for all the money in the world.