The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

I seen Dinner at Eight some 20 years ago. I verily remember it but I remember not being too impressed with it despite it's big name cast. I'll have to watch again someday.

I may or may not have seen Duck Soup, though Harpo's leg in other people's hands I do remember. I wonder if he did that gag in other Marx Brothers movies?

I watched My Favorite Year (1982). Directed by Richard Benjamin, the film is about a young comedy writer (Mark Linn-Baker) who has to try and keep an ageing movie star (Peter O'Toole) sober and out of trouble. O'Toole is wonderful here and was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe. The film itself is fine, but not great. There is some charm here and a couple funny moments, but nothing really blew me away. It has a decent screenplay and some good supporting performances. I liked the film alright, but feel it had potential to be even better. Although I wouldn't consider it one of the best comedies of the 80s, it is still worth watching.

You'll have to excuse me for not keeping up, for I love college basketball and March Madness is the only thing on my mind. So no games today and no NIT games as well. So, I watched a film...

"Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006)

Great selection for me because it fills most of the check marks that seem fitting for a comedy. Floors me considering living my whole life within an hour from Canada, that there is a border war akin to our whole north/south American thing. That adds a whole new direction for the viewing, plus a hockey element...Sold!

The intro sets the pace and add its absurdity that is to follow. Also enjoyed the Roy Schieder Quebecian cop paired with the Richard Jenkins Ontarioan detective. The ex-wives and kids only add to the absurdity. Found myself laughing aloud more than once a big thanks for the rec.

I watched My Favorite Year (1982). Directed by Richard Benjamin, the film is about a young comedy writer (Mark Linn-Baker) who has to try and keep an ageing movie star (Peter O'Toole) sober and out of trouble. O'Toole is wonderful here and was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe. The film itself is fine, but not great. There is some charm here and a couple funny moments, but nothing really blew me away. It has a decent screenplay and some good supporting performances. I liked the film alright, but feel it had potential to be even better. Although I wouldn't consider it one of the best comedies of the 80s, it is still worth watching.
I happened to watch this recently and my reaction was about on par with yours. I liked it but didn't love it. At the same time, it was charming and O'Toole's performance keeps you watching.

My Favorite Year was one of the noms in the Virgin HoF. You won't find the Virgin HoF, which I hosted, listed here in the HoF Archives and for a specific reason, guesses as to why?
It was deemed invalid because not everyone in the hall was a virgin?

You'll have to excuse me for not keeping up, for I love college basketball and March Madness is the only thing on my mind. So no games today and no NIT games as well. So, I watched a film...

"Bon Cop, Bad Cop" (2006)

Great selection for me because it fills most of the check marks that seem fitting for a comedy. Floors me considering living my whole life within an hour from Canada, that there is a border war akin to our whole north/south American thing. That adds a whole new direction for the viewing, plus a hockey element...Sold!

The intro sets the pace and add its absurdity that is to follow. Also enjoyed the Roy Schieder Quebecian cop paired with the Richard Jenkins Ontarioan detective. The ex-wives and kids only add to the absurdity. Found myself laughing aloud more than once a big thanks for the rec.

Bon Cop, Bad Cop is a really fun, enjoyable film. I recommend everyone who hasn't seen it check it out. Also, there is a sequel that is pretty good that is worth checking out too!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Some Like It Hot

I guess I appreciate the movie more than I found it funny. This being a comedy HoF, that's the main thing I'm looking for. Did I laugh? Well, I chuckled a few times and believe that it was somewhat progressive at the time, but overall I couldn't help but feel a little underwhelmed by it.

I see the inspiration the film has had on comedies and it does it better in a few of those instances but overall I couldn't help but feel that the comedy just didn't hit my funny bone.

Suspect's Reviews

I enjoyed Some Like It Hot, but it isn't one of my personal favourites. It's an 8/10 for me. I bought the Criterion blu ray though.

Waitress (2007)

I want to start off with something positive first...you'll see why in a moment. This is a movie I would've picked to watch for myself, so I was glad it was chosen. I saved it looked like this would be fun. I mean how could a PG-13 movie about a waitress who likes to bake pies not be fun! So what I'm trying to say is, thanks to whoever picked it for me...and I'm also saying sorry, because now I got some harsh things to say about this movie.

What the hell? Is this suppose to be a comedy? Oh gee, I guess a husband who physically assaults his wife, controls who she sees and where she goes and also stalks her...is suppose to be funny? The husband was played the role so violent and so creepy-controlling that he made the husband in Dolores Claiborne look like a nice guy. I mean sure if this was a dark comedy then anything could go for humor. But the tonal shifts are so extreme that the film goes from a fun, cutesy Bridgette Jone's Diary type movie to the aforementioned Dolores Claiborne. I really liked the pie jokes but the husband who's a psycho, not so much. In fact he's played so intense that it ruined any chance of this film have a humorous impact on me.

I don't blame the actor who played the husband, I blame the director who also wrote and co-stars in this film, Adrienne Shelly. I don't know what she was thinking except I guess to show men as controlling jerks...because the husband isn't the only one. There's also this dweeb loser who might have been funny, only he clearly states he's going to stock the other waitress (played by the directory) until she agrees to marry her. She says he's called her 30 times in a day even though she asked him to go away. Then there's the handsome, nice guy doctor who seduces his pregnant patient right in the office and he's married too. And that all is suppose to be funny?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	0c74904912c4e538f77b5789eb4e9390.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	86197  

Waitress (2007)

I don't blame the actor who played the husband, I blame the director who also wrote and co-stars in this film, Adrienne Shelly. I don't know what she was thinking except I guess to show men as controlling jerks
I don't think it's that simple at all. I think that it shows that life is complicated, and the humor and the joy in the film come from figuring that out.

And the men in the film run a whole range. Yes, her husband is creepy and abusive. But she is also supported by several male characters, like her boss, Cal, who knows she's pregnant but keeps her employed, or the Andy Griffith character who wants her to start a new life and ultimately is a big part of helping her claim her own future. While her doctor does cheat on his wife, I don't think that he's ultimately meant to be a bad guy in the scheme of things, just someone who engaged in an ill-advised affair (and her driving the affair diffuses a lot of the power-differential problems of a doctor having an affair with a patient).

I totally get what you're saying about the extremity of the domestic violence subplot taking this out of comedy territory for you. But I think that this movie is more of an "oh, life!" comedy. I saw this in the theater when it came out and there was a lot of laughter and a very positive response to it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Waitress for the Movies Directed By Women countdown, and I liked the movie, but I didn't think of it as a comedy movie. I think it's more of a drama with some funny moments.

Happiness (Todd Solondz, 1998)

So I had a clear idea of what this movie was in my head and I always rolled my eyes at it and when I just now watched it I realize I was dead on, but here's the twist, that turned out to be a good thing. There's an extremely delicate tone to this film and with one miscalculated step could have thrown the whole thing off but it manages to walk this tonal tightrope flawlessly. A lot of it is the performances. The delivery and the dialogue just has this feeling to it that I don't know how to describe but its palpable. This is mirrored by the colour pallet that feels over-saturated and muted at the same time. Its honestly pretty masterful. For future reference, if any of you have to recommend me things again films that have a distinct aura like this is a good way to go. That all being said I'm giving this a
because even though I like just about everything about it, the film also feels about double its length and its not quite in the realm of films where that would be a positive. Also no funny.

Hey Citizen, you just made me want to see Waitress, thanks!

When my future wife and I first watched Happiness, and we laughed hysterically throughout, I knew she was the girl for me.