The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

It is a really fun movie and it has a ton of rewatch potential. Lots of details to discover each time.

The show Face Off is a reality competition for make-up/prosthetic/special effects designers. They did a challenge inspired by the waiting room where they had to create a ghost character that still showed how they died. It was a lot of fun!
I'm not one to rewatch films often, but I could see myself watching Beetlejuice again sometime. I did like the dead characters based on how they died, Burton has the mind for creating this visual type of wow.

Take The Money And Run (1969)

Woody Allen's first full directorial debut, though he did directorial work on What's Up Tiger Lily?...Here Allen wrote, directed and stars in what's been called one of the first mockumentaries. Allen at his first full directorial job, created a new genre of films with his fictional autobiographical documentary about a poor boy from a poor family who turns to a life of crime and utterly falls at it.

When I first joined MoFo over seven years ago I didn't like Woody Allen or his films, though I hadn't seen many. Then a MoFo challenged me to watch more of Allen's films. Now I'm happy to say I totally changed my mind and count Allen as one of my favorite currently working directors.

I enjoyed Take The Money and Run, I thought it was clever, unique, funny and well made and I liked Woody in it. Right now this is my favorite so far in this PRV.

Ghost Town (2008)

OK so I was eating pizza and wow was it delicious! I turn on the TV, access the USB drive and chose a comedy for the evening. I chose Ghost Town. As I was eating this tasty pizza the film starts with close-ups of dental equipment, then cuts to a dentist performing a procedure...'Ugh' I thought! Nothing worse than seeing dental tools of torture while enjoy one's dinner. So then we get to the scene where the dentist is going to have a colonoscopy and I though 'oh crap this going to suck'...

Indeed the first scenes in the hospital with Kirsten Wigg who's a difficult and daft nurse, was not funny and went on way too long. Now, I've seen several movies recently where I love the first act but hate the rest of the film. But to my pleasant surprise, Ghost Town keeps getting better and better until I ended up really liking it. A lot of that liking is because of Tea Leoni and her character's story. So as a film I did enjoy this but it didn't seem like a comedy to me, but more like a drama with some lighter moments. But still a good choice and glad to have watched it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	86166  

Are you guys still with me? Hope so
I’m still with you! You couldn’t get rid of me even if you tried. I’m going to watch a few today or tomorrow.

Take The Money And Run (1969)

Woody Allen's first full directorial debut, though he did directorial work on What's Up Tiger Lily?...Here Allen wrote, directed and stars in what's been called one of the first mockumentaries. Allen at his first full directorial job, created a new genre of films with his fictional autobiographical documentary about a poor boy from a poor family who turns to a life of crime and utterly falls at it.

When I first joined MoFo over seven years ago I didn't like Woody Allen or his films, though I hadn't seen many. Then a MoFo challenged me to watch more of Allen's films. Now I'm happy to say I totally changed my mind and count Allen as one of my favorite currently working directors.

I enjoyed Take The Money and Run, I thought it was clever, unique, funny and well made and I liked Woody in it. Right now this is my favorite so far in this PRV.

Good movie, fun and entertaining. It’s an 8/10 from me. I’m a big fan of Woody Allen and I have seen 41 of his films.

Ghost Town (2008)

OK so I was eating pizza and wow was it delicious! I turn on the TV, access the USB drive and chose a comedy for the evening. I chose Ghost Town. As I was eating this tasty pizza the film starts with close-ups of dental equipment, then cuts to a dentist performing a procedure...'Ugh' I thought! Nothing worse than seeing dental tools of torture while enjoy one's dinner. So then we get to the scene where the dentist is going to have a colonoscopy and I though 'oh crap this going to suck'...

Indeed the first scenes in the hospital with Kirsten Wigg who's a difficult and daft nurse, was not funny and went on way too long. Now, I've seen several movies recently where I love the first act but hate the rest of the film. But to my pleasant surprise, Ghost Town keeps getting better and better until I ended up really liking it. A lot of that liking is because of Tea Leoni and her character's story. So as a film I did enjoy this but it didn't seem like a comedy to me, but more like a drama with some lighter moments. But still a good choice and glad to have watched it.

I thought this was alright, but kind of forgettable. I have seen 4 films by this director and this was his weakest, in my opinion. The other films I have seen by him are all thriller or horror and I think he is better at that genre.

Good movie, fun and entertaining. It’s an 8/10 from me. I’m a big fan of Woody Allen and I have seen 41 of his films.
Wow, you always impress me with how well watched you are. I need to catch up Did you see Wonder Wheel? Not much talk about that one, but I really liked it.

Wow, you always impress me with how well watched you are. I need to catch up Did you see Wonder Wheel? Not much talk about that one, but I really liked it.
Yes, Wonder Wheel feels underrated to me. I liked it quite a bit, rating it an 8/10. Have you seen his last two, Rainy Day in New York and Rifkin’s Festival? Both are worth checking out.

Yes, Wonder Wheel feels underrated to me. I liked it quite a bit, rating it an 8/10. Have you seen his last two, Rainy Day in New York and Rifkin’s Festival? Both are worth checking out.
No I haven't, the last couple were Wonder Wheel and Café Society which I watched for Blake Lively. I didn't care for Café Society, did you like that one?

No I haven't, the last couple were Wonder Wheel and Café Society which I watched for Blake Lively. I didn't care for Café Society, did you like that one?
I actually enjoyed Cafe Society and rated it an 8/10. I think the last Woody Allen film that I didn’t like was To Rome With Love, which I thought was awful, a 5/10.

I actually enjoyed Cafe Society and rated it an 8/10. I think the last Woody Allen film that I didn’t like was To Rome With Love, which I thought was awful, a 5/10.
I didn't see To Rome With Love, I can't say the title rings a bell, it must not have been talked much about here.

Just finished watching Dinner at Eight (1933). Directed by George Cukor, the film stars Marie Dressler, John Barrymore, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow, Lionel Barrymore, Lee Tracy, Billie Burke, amongst others. It's about a wealthy couple who throw a dinner for their rich friends. I can understand why someone nominated this for me and I had assumed I would like it. Sorry to say, I did not. I did not find it funny and didn't laugh at all. Personally, I wouldn't even consider this a comedy. I found this fairly uninteresting for the most part and the film felt a lot longer than it was. I liked the cast and the performances were fine, but that wasn't enough to make the film enjoyable or entertaining. I've seen 14 Cukor films now and this is my least favourite of them all. Sorry.

Duck Soup (Leo McCarey, 1933)

I'd wanted to check out a Marx Brothers film for awhile but not sure I would have gotten around to it without this hall, so thanks for that and overall I liked this. I think the visual humour for the most part lands pretty well (my favourite bit for some reason being Harpo just putting his leg in peoples hands) but the spoken jokes are pretty rough (mostly from Groucho, Chico is alright). Unfortunately though, even when I'm enjoying the bits I do think just about every scene is too long but not quite long enough that the bit gets funny again. Definitely the most individual laughs I've had with a nomination so far though for sure and I'd be interested in seeing more Marx Brothers films, preferably a silent next time though.

Duck Soup is a
for me too. I've seen 12 Marx Brothers films in total. My favourites are A Night at the Opera (1935) and Horse Feathers (1932).

Duck Soup was one of my least favorites of the Marx movies I watched, and that surprised me given it's reputation. Also not a Dinner at Eight fan.