The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

I considered Josie and the Pussycats for you ueno, but I've never seen it and didn't read about it as I went with another choice. I didn't know about a transgender character in it, so I can't commit on that. But I use to watch the cartoon so I thought a movie about a girl band would be a fun choice for you, but I guess it wasn't. I actually forget what I chose for you, I should go look at my text file and see.

alright so I went back and rewatched the scene they introduced Alexandra a few times and its highly possible i misinterpreted the scene and subsequent scenes aren't great with that misinterpretation. either way i still find that scene weird and i don't really know what its going for so i guess now its just a regular bad scene lol. i'll rewrite a review for it at some point and bump it up like a half star or something.

Blade of the Immortal as a comedy?

I have questions…..
I'll PM the person who chose it for Cricket just to confirm that was indeed the correct movie. Some people didn't include the year of the movie, which makes it hard to ID correctly...and they might have been thinking of a similar title.

Anyone who thinks their movie might be listed as a mistake, give a shout out or just PM me and ask, I'll check it out.

The trick is not minding
I'll PM the person who chose it for Cricket just to confirm that was indeed the correct movie. Some people didn't include the year of the movie, which makes it hard to ID correctly...and they might have been thinking of a similar title.

Anyone who thinks their movie might be listed as a mistake, give a shout out or just PM me and ask, I'll check it out.
Can we mulligan our recs that have already been viewed and not looked upon as favorably? Asking for a friend…..👀

The friend is me…..

I'm okay if someone wants to take a mulligan on Death Camp and try something else....unless it was ueno_station54 because I don't 100% trust that poster to make an honest nomination.

Have not heard of Black Belt Jones.

I have heard of Josie and the Pussycats.

I looked up Satanic Panic one day when I was looking for something to watch. I passed for whatever reason.

Despite my love for Pryor and Wilder, I didn't care for Hear no Evil See No Evil.

I haven't heard of Black Belt Jones either. I'm familiar with Josie and the Pussycats but have never got around to seeing it. I thought Satanic Panic was a lot of fun, an 8/10. I saw Hear no Evil See No Evil years ago, but don't remember much about it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a mulligan on any of my recs. They are all 100% awesome and if anyone doesn't like a movie I suggested for them, they are wrong and obviously not as cool or sophisticated as me!

Can we mulligan our recs that have already been viewed and not looked upon as favorably? Asking for a friend…..👀 The friend is me…..
ha but no.

I'm okay if someone wants to take a mulligan on Death Camp and try something else....unless it was ueno_station54 because I don't 100% trust that poster to make an honest nomination.
I like ueno, they have some different taste in film, but I believe they tried their best, as we all did. I guarantee some of you will hate my choices

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a mulligan on any of my recs. They are all 100% awesome and if anyone doesn't like a movie I suggested for them, they are wrong and obviously not as cool or sophisticated as me!
for that!

--------
Official type stuff I wasn't talking about doing replacement movies for films chose for us that we don't like, we get what we get. I was talking about a mistake in the year of title or incorrect posted title made by me... as I tried to interpret your guys choices that didn't have years

it presents its juvenile world view with such a exhuberent child-like panache, that I find it becomes elevated into something much stranger and funnier than it should be.
You know, I kept waiting for some meta-enjoyment to kick in, but I was really shocked at how uncreative and frankly dull the various stunts were. Put X near penis. Stick Y in butt. Oh, look, some Japanese people are politely slightly baffled by our antics. The worst cinematic crime that Jackass committed was being achingly dull. (And the whole "rich frat boys who don't fear consequences" vibe makes it really hard to think about them in any kind of adorable man-baby light).

You know, I kept waiting for some meta-enjoyment to kick in, but I was really shocked at how uncreative and frankly dull the various stunts were. Put X near penis. Stick Y in butt. Oh, look, some Japanese people are politely slightly baffled by our antics. The worst cinematic crime that Jackass committed was being achingly dull. (And the whole "rich frat boys who don't fear consequences" vibe makes it really hard to think about them in any kind of adorable man-baby light).

I don't really look at it on any meta level. And some of the pranks aren't terribly inspired. And it is obviously deliberately dumb. But I find the joy they find in eachothers company, infectious. And while I can't come up with any examples off the top of my head, I find them mostly to be pretty funny guys, in the way they are smart guys who are good at being dumb, and there are all sorts of little touches that brighten even some of the stupidest pranks.

Also, I don't think very many of these guys were wealthy when they began this. With maybe the exception of Bam Margera, and possibly one or two of the other professional skateboarders, I think they were mostly destitute bums at the time of filming this.

But it's not a film that you can really convince someone to appreciate. It either works for you or it doesn't. And in that way it's kind of critic proof. What complaints can possibly be made about it that aren't probably already being outright embraced by its fanbase? It just is, for better or worse.

Also Ueno's taste is solid. They clearly like what they like and I think their picks are always (at the very least) interesting. And in the world of movies, where seem to have forgotten to even hit that low bar of just being interesting, or different, or honest, I personally welcome as many left-of-centre picks as I can get.

hmm... i do still need revenge for And Then There Were None so who knows what i may have pulled.

I don't really look at it on any meta level.

But I find the joy they find in eachothers company, infectious.
"Meta" was probably the wrong word. I actually mean what you're saying in the second sentence. I kept waiting to get a vibe from it that I could like.

For example, if you've ever played with a toddler and they want you to roll a ball into a toy car over and over and over and over, like, that's dumb. But their earnest joy makes it not-dumb. I never felt that earnest joy. It all felt too calculated to be delightful and too ramshackle to be quality.

I've also, you know, had a really rough group of students this year and I am constantly having to deal with the fallout of mean-spirited "pranks" and property destruction, so I am very burned out on thinking that embarrassing someone or breaking things just because you can is any kind of charming.

Beetlejuice (1988)

I like Winona Ryder so I used a screenshot of her instead of Michael Keaton who I'm ambivalent about in this. Oh I like Geena Davis too...So far this has been my favorite comedy movie in this PRV...but I still have more to watch!

I thought I'd like this as I've liked most all of Tim Burton's films with Ed Wood and Mars Attacks! as two favorites of mine for my comedy countdown ballot. The only film of his I didn't care for was the live action Dumbo remake.

Michael Keaton was decent here, no complaints. But I don't think he has the right type of comedy chops to pull of the freeform improv style of character comedy he was shooting for. Jim Carey (i.e. The Mask) would've been my first choice here.

Oh was that nice guy really Alec Baldwin? I'm so use to him playing the self centered type. Baldwin paired well with Geena Davis and I liked their part of the story best. I'd be amiss if I didn't mention my appreciation for Catherine O'Hara, always liked her.

Tim Burton really knows how to stack his films with lots of interesting stuff. My favorite here was the afterlife waiting room with Sylvia Sydey. Creative stuff!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beetlejuice-Winona-Ryder.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	86120  

so far this has been my favorite movie. I really liked this one and right now it's my favorite of the comedies I've seen here in this PRV.
It is a really fun movie and it has a ton of rewatch potential. Lots of details to discover each time.

My favorite here was the afterlife waiting room with Sylvia Sydey. Creative stuff!
The show Face Off is a reality competition for make-up/prosthetic/special effects designers. They did a challenge inspired by the waiting room where they had to create a ghost character that still showed how they died. It was a lot of fun!