The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

My most retained line from the film (because my sister and I used to shout it at each other) is "PUSH THE BUTTON, MAX!!!"
Ha, that's a good one...It's funny that The Great Race has this big pie fight in the end, the comedy I watched last night did the same scene.

Bugsy Malone (1976)

I liked those cars! They actually worked too. They were pedaled by the driver and had bicycle tires and working steering. Good detailing on those cars. It was funny when the kid gangsters drove them around, ha!...I liked the dreaded Sprulge guns too and how they shut custard mini-pies at the other gangsters that then 'rubbed them out'. Except in the big gun battle at the end when everyone was shot with creamy goo and no one was rubbed out. But oh well, it's a movie meant to be enjoyed.

Scott Baio stars, he later went on to play Fonzie's cousin Chachi Arcola in Happy Days and later had his own TV spin off Joanie Loves Chachi. I've seen ever episode of both of those too so I wasn't surprised that Baio was the standout actor here. He's good in this.

I chuckled a few times and the movie concept is amusing. It sort of reminded me of the all midget cowboy movie The Terror of Tiny Town (1938)

The musical numbers didn't work for me here. I didn't like the arrangement of the songs. Something about mid 1970s music just didn't jive with me. Either did the kids who 'sing' but are actually dubbed by adult singers....Geez just let the little tykes sing for themselves, that would've been funner.

Glad I finally seen this.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-03-15 18-46-42.png
Views:	204
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	86065  

The trick is not minding
Starting up Satanic Panic which has been in my watchlist for years now.
Looking it up on The Numbers, which tracks box office (like box office mojo), it appears to have only played in 5 theaters.

No wonder I missed it.

The cast of the MTV show performs a series of stunts and skits.

When I was in high school, a series of video tapes made it around my neighborhood, showing a bunch of twenty-somethings (skateboarders?) doing various "pranks" and skits. Soon, a ton of the guys in my neighborhood were making their own tapes. Thus I was shown many variations of property damage and dudes, like, farting in each others' faces in the name of being "edgy". Then shortly after college, I lived above a bar. All this is to say that the raucous laughter and smashed glass of young men who don't realize that they're not funny or edgy, they're just obnoxious is something I don't need any more of in this lifetime.

So anyway, this was 90 minutes of that. Only this also involved animal abuse and the harassment of random bystanders. The shot of the dead cat floating in the river is where I fully checked out of this one.

I laughed exactly one time: when a concussed Johnny Knoxville slurred out "But is Butterbean okay?" after the former boxing champ had beaten him into unconsciousness.

What a waste of time.

The Graduate, 1967

Recent college graduate Ben (Dustin Hoffman) returns home to live with his parents. His post-college malaise is shaken up a bit when old family friend Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) aggressively pursues a sexual relationship with him. Despite the affair, however, Ben remains emotionally detached. That is until Mrs. Robinson's daughter, Elaine (Katharine Ross), enters the picture.

This film has long been one of those glaring omissions on the list of movies that a film buff is supposed to have watched early in discovering their passion for cinema, but that I had never got around to until this point. I often have a (unfounded, I must admit!) hesitation to watch films that have a certain degree of cultural saturation. "Plastics". "You're trying to seduce me". *bangs on large glass church window*.

But this was for the most part really great and an example of a movie that manages to use technical moves that are brilliant even as they call attention to themselves.

The movie-making on display is what I loved the most here, and on so many fronts. I loved the way that the film takes us right inside Ben's perspective, whether that's getting quick ,frantic glimpses of the nude Mrs. Robinson, literally limiting us to his point of view inside a scuba outfit, or showing characters in a darkened blur as he looks up at them from the pool. Then there's the editing, with moments like an exquisite cut from Ben jumping up onto a pool float and then seamlessly landing on top of Mrs. Robinson in bed. Finally, the camera is totally emotionally indulgent and it's great. Pans and zooms are used to obvious and excellent effect. A standout to me was a moment where Mrs. Robinson speaks to Ben, the shot beginning in close-up only to zoom out and out and out to reveal that she's in a corner far away from Ben, leaving her suddenly looking very small and vulnerable.

I also liked the acting and the character development. Hoffman does a great job of playing the subdued Ben, finding a way to give variation in his performance without ever going too big. Paired with the subjective camera, it's a fantastic combination of an actor's style and a film's style meshing perfectly. I'm thinking of the sequence where Ben takes Elaine to a strip club in order to humiliate her, and as he realizes how hurt she is, the scope of the camera suddenly ceases to include the body of the stripper, focusing instead on Elaine's face.

Bancroft is also great as Mrs. Robinson. It would be easy to hate her as a character, but we are given enough backstory and depth, and we get to see enough of her pain, that despite some really horrible actions on her part, there is sympathy for her. Mrs. Robinson is someone whose life went off track, and she carries an understandable regret for this, but also an anger at the younger generation.

The one character I felt was a bit underdeveloped was Elaine. While there's some really good rapport between Ross and Hoffman, especially in the scene where they go on their first date, I never totally got her. We see that her fiance's friends speak very crudely about her, and her fiance is known as the "make-out king." I could see Elaine being cowed into not seeing Ben. But being cowed into marrying Carl? It somehow didn't make sense to me. She's in college (or graduate school), so what's the rush? I know that she's a bit soft-spoken at times, but the wedding thing felt more like plot convenience than something the character would actually do. She mostly feels like she exists to be the center of a power tug-of-war between Ben and Mrs. Robinson.

I also felt myself wondering about Bancroft as the "older woman", and she's only like 6 years older than Hoffman! (And only 9 years older than her "daughter" LOL!). I read a piece of trivia that was like "Oh, Hoffman is so boyish and Bancroft is so aged that it works!", but for me the age difference didn't feel real. It wasn't a problem because the acting was so solid, but it did make me laugh a bit.

This was a real delight to watch. Funny, and so interesting from a technical point of view.

Even though it came along so early in the New Hollywood movement, I still feel that The Graduate is one of the crowning achievements of that entire period of film, so I'm definitely overjoyed that you liked it, Takoma!

The 'Burbs (Joe Dante, 1989)

So, I know this specific style of film (no idea what you'd call it but its extremely specific) is very popular and beloved but while watching them I can never wrap my head around who these films are for. I just can't imagine this naturally appealing to a child or an adult. Again I don't know what to call it but the Dante/Burton/Spielberg vibe continues to completely mystify me and like just about every film like this I can't really say its bad or anything but I am just unable to connect to it.

The second the premise is introduced you know every single beat the film is going to hit and it never even slightly subverts expectations. Heck, there's only one shot in the film that even kind of breaks away from the aforementioned vibe the film is hard locked into (the prolonged zoom in, zoom out whilst characters are screaming). The music really betrayed me. There's a piece of the score that only shows up in first scene (not including opening credits) that was sooo cool and interesting and then every other track is lame Elfman-adjacent sh*t. Also I don't like the cast at all. I don't have any comments to make there, just don't like anyone in this movie.

Despite having nothing positive to say about the film I'd still describe it as being generally inoffensive. Bland, inoffensive stuff like this typically gets a
from me, and that will be the case here as well. but I should probably start considering that more of a sin than I currently do.

I saw The Burbs when I was a kid and didn't really care for it. I saw it again recently as an adult and liked it a lot more, rating it a 7/10.

Black Belt Jones (1974)

I bet this is the type of movie Tarantino watches when he's sitting eating a bag of cheesy puffs and stealing movie ideas. It did seem like watching one of QT's movies only with less as it's a 1974 film made on a shoestring budget. I'm guessing this was made for a Drive-In theater double feature, probably the second feature. If you were around way back then and had a car and a date and you actually watched the second feature then you must've done something wrong

I went into Black Belt Jones with the lowest expectations, which often ends up helping me enjoy the film, cause I did kinda like it...at least I was never bored and that's something that happens to me during some movies (see my next review). I'm not into martial arts films, at all. But I did like the overall story and the 1973 Mustang Mach 1 was aces! Though I didn't see anything that would make me think this was a comedy, other than some of the MacGyver type crime fighting stunts were silly.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-Belt-Jones-.avi_snapshot_00.05.13_2011.08.30_23.33.47.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	86098  

The trick is not minding
Satanic Panic

Meet Samantha. Samantha, or Sam as she calls herself, just became a pizza delivery girl and just crashed a private party to demand a tip for the five pizzas she just delivered. It’s a big tip. Little does she know she just crashed the party of Satan Worshippers who plan to summon Baphomet. When their first option as a sacrifice is revealed by their leader (played by Rebeca Romijn of X Men fame) ad being unsuitable due to recents events (revealed at the beginning of the film) they decide to take Samantha in her place.*

Never mind the fact that the sacrifice has to be done that night, you would think the leader would have revealed this issue well before hand, seeing as it was very important after all, and then went about finding a backup sacrifice.

And that’s how this basically plays out. One hour long chase before we get to the sacrificial ceremony. It’s not a very funny film, although I did chuckle a few times. Like Jerry O’Connell accidentally shooting himself. But other then a few funny scenes, the script tried too hard. Certain scenes didn’t really work for me. It was mostly just a by the book approach that wasn’t exactly bad, but not exactly good. Somewhere around ok.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)

If low expectations helped Black Belt Jones then my high expectations for See No Evil, Hear No Evil crushed it. I was really expecting to love Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor in this comedy vehicle as the pair made several successfully comedies together...and I find both funny. But not here. I mentioned getting bored by some movies in my last review, well this is one of them. I started checking the time remaining at the 45 minute mark and I kept checking until it was finally over.

Basically this is one of those 1980s buddy cop/crime movies, think Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, only this time it's a comedy...However I didn't laugh at much, maybe a couple of chuckles.

I will say Gene Wilder was good here, he's always good. Wilder never over sells his deaf character and indeed I could buy that he was deaf. Pryor on the other had did this way silly, over the top, blind guy bit that I just didn't buy. Interestingly enough the bad guy Anthony Zerba is also suppose to be blind and does pull that off quite well.

No cool cars this time, but there was one hot chick!

The trick is not minding
Funny story about the time I went with my brother to watch Hear No Evil, See No Evil at the theatre in Tallahassee Florida.

About halfway through, the film flipped itself upside down and continued on for about five minutes before they stopped it. After waiting a few minutes, they announced they had to offer refunds or tickets to another movie that same day.

I think we chose tickets to another movie that same day.

Funny story about the time I went with my brother to watch Hear No Evil, See No Evil at the theatre in Tallahassee Florida.

About halfway through, the film flipped itself upside down and continued on for about five minutes before they stopped it. After waiting a few minutes, they announced they had to offer refunds or tickets to another movie that same day.

I think we chose tickets to another movie that same day.
OMG I never seen that happen in a theater.

Have you seen any other comedies with Pryor and Wilder? I'm wondering if I seen check out more of their stuff.

The trick is not minding
OMG I never seen that happen in a theater.

Have you seen any other comedies with Pryor and Wilder? I'm wondering if I seen check out more of their stuff.
I have not, but I really should eventually. When I did eventually get around to revisiting this, it wasn’t very good.

I have not, but I really should eventually. When I did eventually get around to revisiting this, it wasn’t very good.
It was the only pairing of the two that I've seen...though I know they made some real received comedies together.

The trick is not minding
It was the only pairing of the two that I've seen...though I know they made some real received comedies together.
Yeah, I hear Silver Streak is their best collaboration together, followed by Stir Crazy. Both are films I need to see yet.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil is a piece of garbage

The Burbs is fun but irrelevant

Jackass obviously has a very specific market. And it shouldn't by definition be for me, as I couldn't care less about skateboarding. And I don't like bro culture. It also has a completely lack of any kind of cinematic style beyond the stylized opening. And yet, it presents its juvenile world view with such a exhuberent child-like panache, that I find it becomes elevated into something much stranger and funnier than it should be. And, most importantly, I find that behind all of the shit and piss and disgusting behaviour and (presumably) horrible smells, these films are essentially about friendship and love, between men who don't know how to express either. So when I look past all of the things I might not like that are here, and some of the sketches that just don't really work, I actually kind of love these movies.