The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame V: Comedy Edition

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Have you seen:
Klown (2010)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
The King of Comedy (1982)
I've seen The King of Comedy and Klown, so I'm only two films now from a locked in set of noms.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Happiness of the Katakuris, 2001

Masao (Kenji Sawada) buys a rural property in the hopes that the construction of a new road will lead to it being a successful tourist stopping point. He enlists his wife Terue (Keiko Matsuzaka), his father (Tetsuro Tanba), his daughter Shizue (Naomi Nishida), and his son Masayuki (Shinji Takeda). But there's just a little snag: their guests just keep on dying, and the family must cover up the deaths in order to give their fledgling guesthouse a chance to survive.

Miike has always been hit-or-miss for me. He is undeniably a talented filmmaker with a particular skill for blending genres. On one end of the spectrum he's made movies I've loved, but on the other side of things he's done some stuff I really disliked. Finding humor in the violent and grotesque is a very subjective line, and there have been things he's put on screen that were meant to be darkly funny but just made me some combination of upset/sad/depressed.

I have had The Happiness of the Katakuris on my radar for many years now, but have resisted pulling the trigger because I was nervous about which version of Miike's "dark comedy" I'd be getting. (And honestly, seeing a child and a dog on the poster made me extra nervous). Fortunately, this one skews more to the humor than to the dark.

I can't think of anything to compare this film to. It's a comedy musical with a just-right dark thread running through the center of it. What really keeps it feeling light is the fact that the focus isn't on the deaths so much as on the way that the deaths impact the family and their own internal dynamics. Masayuki has a criminal past, and his parents not-so-secretly suspect he might have played a part in some of the deaths.

Visually, the film is an intentionally overstuffed blend of claymation, bubblegum musical numbers. and amusingly tense family dinners. These elements help to soften the violence and gore, giving the film a much needed lightness to stay in the comedy zone. The acting is all pitch-perfect, which is to say that it matches the tone of the visual madness. I particularly liked Nishida as the hapless Shizue, who gets her head turned incredibly easily. (We first meet Shizue as she returns to her parents' home, broken-hearted and pregnant . . . and giving a man passing on the street a not-so-subtle look up and down.) Her romance with a man who claims to be both a member of the Royal Family AND a US fighter pilot adds a lot of humor to the film.

I enjoyed this film very much. It was a real relief that my suspicions that it might be full of animal violence or other unsavory elements were unfounded. There was one joke about pedophilia (involving an adult male guest having loud sex with his adolescent, young teenage companion) that walked right up to the line for me. It's not that joke specifically that I disliked, but the fact that the family sits by and lets it happen really dinged the sympathy we're supposed to have for them. It's one thing to act out of self-preservation when it comes to events out of their control, and it's quite another to sit by while child abuse happens under your roof.

Another film I'm very happy to have watched!

The trick is not minding
Still need a replacement for Game Night
There are a few of us still waiting on replacements. Adding to that, he forgot a round of recommendations that he’ll post eventually. Should be 10 , not 9. I’m sure he’s busy atm, so he’ll get it all squared away at some point.

Still need a replacement for Game Night
I have a note that you do need that.

There's one person who's not been on the board for 24 hours and needs to send a boat load of replacements. Once I get those everything should be squared away. Oh and that's why there's only 9 movies for most people. I removed the movies that they said they had already seen. Once I get the replacements it will be 10 movies for everyone across the board.

A Man Called Ove, 2015

Ove (Rolf Lassgard) is a man in his late 50s who has become increasingly isolated after the death of his wife, Sonja (played in flashbacks by Ida Engvoll). At a point of total despair and loneliness, Ove no longer wants to be alive. Against his will, though, Ove is pulled back into emotional connection with the arrival of a new neighboring family, especially the wife/mother of the family, Parvaneh (Bahar Pars).

There's a TED Talk that I've gone back to a few times called "Isolation is the Dream Killer", and I thought of it a lot while watching this film. There are several events that take place in Ove's life that are out-and-out tragedies, but we see via flashbacks that Ove was able to overcome them. In his present state it's the isolation that's doing him in. As he forms connections with others, he slowly comes back to life.

Ove is a very lovable character. He honestly made me think a lot of one of my students who struggles with OCD and some other related mental health issues. He likes things just so, and expects others to abide by his very logical rules. He has a rigid sense of rights and wrong, and he behaves accordingly even if it puts his own well-being at risk. His bluntness does not come from a place of unkindness, as we see him take in a stray cat, teach his neighbor to drive, and even temporarily take in a young gay man who has been kicked out of his home because of his sexuality.

The film splits its time between the present day and flashbacks to Ove's youth (played by Filip Berg) and his relationship with Sonja. We see how Ove's sense of decency was shaped by his relationship with his father, and how his romance with Sonja pushed against his rigid boundaries. Both Lassgard and Berg are charming in the lead role. Pars is also winning as the heavily pregnant Parvaneh who is unrelentingly cheery and patient with Ove.

I only had two minor nitpicks with this film. The first was just some inconsistency with the narration. There are times that the flashbacks are narrated by Ove, and it honestly doesn't totally make sense. (It does make sense when the flashbacks are couched as Ove talking to someone else). The narration just isn't needed, in my opinion.

I also thought that the characters of the "whiteshirts"---officials who in a flashback want to destroy Ove's home and in the present want to institutionalize Ove's neighbor (and former best friend/frenemy)--were a bit over the top. They are played as just sneeringly evil, and I thought it was a bit too much. I understand including an element that can unite the neighbors and light a fire under Ove, but it feels like too much. A scene where one of them taunts Ove over his wife's death lands wrong for me. There is such a rich depth of character development and internal conflict that putting energy into an external conflict feels out of place.

A very sweet film. I have a friend who really loved the book, and the story is certainly engaging.

Avanti! (1972)

I really picked the wrong film to start this off with because Avanti is a film that leads the viewer to think about what they just saw. I'm not even sure about Wilder's influences with this one if it's based on the struggles of middle aged men or an attempt of doing the whole foreigner going through a crisis in a foreign land type film. Wilder walks that line and it's not really successful because neither position left me fullfilled because the lead doesn't take a position.

The basic plot of the story is a man flies to a small island in Italy where his father has died in a car accident. In a twist of fate his father was not alone and the lead is confronted by a woman who was the daughter of the other victim in the car. It's a dark idea and strong concept. The film takes a number of political points that have aged poorly the 135lb female lead treats the story like she's fat...might have worked in the early 70's looks bad today. The lead is blackmailed by a staff member...who was deported from the US by pulling a gun on war protesters...works in the last years of Vietnam..looks bad today.

It's a very well made film, but compared to the other Lemmon/Wilder films it's just not as good. It's trying to hard to be meaningful without actually committing and it's hurts it as a comedy. The jokes are so badly dated that you can't really laugh at them. But then again this might be the best of the nominations for me because it's so well made.

I also thought that the characters of the "whiteshirts"---officials who in a flashback want to destroy Ove's home and in the present want to institutionalize Ove's neighbor (and former best friend/frenemy)--were a bit over the top. They are played as just sneeringly evil, and I thought it was a bit too much. I understand including an element that can unite the neighbors and light a fire under Ove, but it feels like too much. A scene where one of them taunts Ove over his wife's death lands wrong for me. There is such a rich depth of character development and internal conflict that putting energy into an external conflict feels out of place.

The "white shirts" are meant to represent European politics...they were a blending of "brown shirts", "communists", and bureaucrats.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
, looks like I got my full ten so here's a breakdown of the noms given to me.

First, a mention from our Sponsors and a BIG FAT HUGE appreciation to our Host, The Most, CR for tackling this. Just on the immense amount of film suggestions, he's had to sort through for all of us.

Boy (2010) Being a Taika Waititi movie already places it on a high interest.
A Nous La Liberte (1931) I had this on my watchlist so very happy to finally get to it.
Alfie (1966) Can't remember if I'd seen the remake with Jude Law but pretty excited to see Micheal Caine in the original -- berry berry nice!
Diner (1982) This movie has been on my radar since it came out and I've continually been on the fence about it. Time to hop off and explore.
Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) Never heard of this, but, Dean Martin, Ray Walston, and Kim Novak?! NOICE
Blithe Spirit (1945) I watched this last night and enjoyed it even more than i expected I would so a truly excellent start to this. Should have a review in the next day or so.
Ready or Not (2019) A dark/horror comedy. . . Hmm, something tells me I might enjoy this.
Symbol (2009) This can only be Ueno and I am equal parts intrigued and petrified LOL
Bananas (1971) The early style of Woody Allen which I prefer so this should be a lot of fun.
Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999) I remember when this came out and should get a kick out of it.

Paddington 2 (2017)
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (2001)
The Greasy Strangler (2016)
The Ruling Class (1972)
Beerfest (2006)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Super (2010)
Choke (2008)
The Silencers (1966)
The Apartment (1960)

Looks like I'm all set to go also. Please note that I am a horrible writer and my reviews will never be up to par with all the fine writers here.

Paddington 2 (2017)
The Ruling Class (1972)
Beerfest (2006)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Super (2010)
Choke (2008)
The Silencers (1966)
The Apartment (1960)

Looks like I'm all set to go also. Please note that I am a horrible writer and my reviews will never be up to par with all the fine writers here.
You'll do fine, just be yourself
Nice list. A couple I haven't seen so curious to see what ya think of 'em.

The trick is not minding
I’m all set so I’ll start this up once I return home this weekend. *

Street Trash (1987)
Support your Local Sheriff (1969)
Happy End (1967)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Harry and Tonto (1974)
Satanic Panic (2019)
God Bless America (2011)
Harvey (1950)
Muriel's Wedding (1994)
Best in Show (2000)

An interesting mix here. I have never heard of Street Trash, Happy End (smells like a Uenostation nom) or God Bless America. *
All of the others have been on my radar however, so I’m pleased. *

Paddington 2 (2017)
The Ruling Class (1972)
Beerfest (2006)
Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Super (2010)
Choke (2008)
The Silencers (1966)
The Apartment (1960)

I haven't seen many of those but they look fun and I hope you enjoy them! As far as fancy review writing goes, nah, don't worry...my favorite reviews are simple ones. Usually just your honest reaction to the movie is all that's needed...and it can be short too.

I’m all set so I’ll start this up once I return home this weekend. *

Street Trash (1987)
Support your Local Sheriff (1969)
Happy End (1967)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Harry and Tonto (1974)
Satanic Panic (2019)
God Bless America (2011)
Harvey (1950)
Muriel's Wedding (1994)
Best in Show (2000)

An interesting mix here. I have never heard of Street Trash, Happy End (smells like a Uenostation nom) or God Bless America. *
All of the others have been on my radar however, so I’m pleased. *
Only seen a small selection of yours and definitely recommend the ones I've seen

What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
I've heard of this. Thought it was a horror but a quick look and I see it's a horror/comedy.
Don't expect much horror out of it, as it's more of a comedy/satire.

Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006)
Did I secretly join and nominate this?

The "white shirts" are meant to represent European politics...they were a blending of "brown shirts", "communists", and bureaucrats.
I figured they were meant as a general stand-in for corrupt bureaucracy. I just felt that they were a bit too cartoonishly evil and it detracted from the much more real and emotionally honest relationships between Ove and the other neighbors.