Tools    

423 points, 29 lists
Pan's Labyrinth
Director

Guillermo del Toro, 2006

Starring

Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López, Doug Jones

Pan's Labyrinth was my #20.

Saw it in theaters back in the day and I was blown away by it. I really loved the way GDT mixed the harsh realities of war with this mythical world of fantasy and magic. All the technical aspects (costume, set, production, makeup) are top-notch, but also the whole cast is great. Kudos to Sergi Lopez for playing a truly despicable villain. I admit I haven't seen it in a while, and maybe if I had rewatched it recently it would've fared better on my list, but even with time between us, it has stuck on me.

Here we are...

Seen: 77/94

My ballot:  

Pan's Labyrinth has some great cinematography, and I appreciate how the design of the fantasy world is both beautiful and sinister at the same time. It has some striking visuals and truly unforgettable moments. The Pale Man doesn't even have any dialogue, but his sequence is incredibly memorable nonetheless.

Despite this praise, I don't love the film. I've seen it a couple times, but there's just something about it that puts me off, and I can't quite explain why. I definitely like the concept more than its execution. It wasn't on my list.

Seen: 61/94

Pan's Labyrinth was my #20.
Mine too. I've still seen this only once (but meant to rewatch it for two countdowns now). Could possibly deserve a higher place on my ballot, but I gave the advantage to films I've seen more recently.

Seen: 51/94

My Ballot:  

I'm gonna guess Seven is next
Yassssss - nailed it!!!

Pan's Labyrinth was another that didn't quite make my FL ballot so was delighted to be able to include it on my ballot here, I was initially somewhat lukewarm on it but it's really grown on me with each subsequent viewing.

Seen: 66/94 (Own: 46/94)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000) [11]
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) [15]
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009) [18]
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000) [12]
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006) [17]
13. Amélie (2001) [16]
12. Zodiac (2007) [9]
11. WALL·E (2008) [13]
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [7]
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008) [10]
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003) [8]
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Twenty-three down, just the three to go now....

Good movie that desperately needs a rewatch. Bought the 4K like six moths ago too, and still haven’t popped it in.

Pan's Labyrinth has some great cinematography, and I appreciate how the design of the fantasy world is both beautiful and sinister at the same time. It has some striking visuals and truly unforgettable moments. The Pale Man doesn't even have any dialogue, but his sequence is incredibly memorable nonetheless.

Despite this praise, I don't love the film. I've seen it a couple times, but there's just something about it that puts me off, and I can't quite explain why. I definitely like the concept more than its execution. It wasn't on my list.

Seen: 61/94
I’ll be lazy this time and simply quote someone that already said exactly how I feel about this film.

I never said it was bad. I said I don’t like it. There is a difference.
Certainly; I wasn't implying otherwise. By "bad" there I did, in fact, mean just that you don't like it.

Also a person can be physically transformed by something yet still remain recognizably human, rather than looking like some weird alien/treasure troll hybrid with alopecia.
Sure, but the question is meant to establish whether you inherently dislike the premise, because there's a huge difference between "I didn't like this because they didn't do it well" and "I automatically dislike this because I never want to see someone hideous."

The premise is that the ring makes people look hideous. You don't like looking at him because he's hideous. Therefore, it sounds like you don't like the premise itself.

"Pan's Labyrinth" was my #1 favorite film since seeing it in the theater. After numerous viewings it still remains my favorite. The blend of war and fantasy is both striking and memorable. Captain Vidal is a villain for the ages

This is my third countdown and this film has been my #1 each time. So for the next countdown topic, PLEASE pick a genre where this isn't my number one.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I've barely heard the Pan's Labyrinth.

I didn't realize but this wound up as a back-to-back two piece on my ballot with The Devil's Backbone. Not intentional, totally random. Haven't watched it in years but it has stuck with me enough to put my ballot.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So if I can get the last 6 right, it would be an impressive 8 movie streak to end it.

1. Fellowship
2. No Country
3. There will be blood
4. Eternal Sunshine
5. Spirited Away
6. Mulholland