The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Infernal Affairs is a pretty fun watch but I prefer The Departed of the two.

290 points, 24 lists
Inglourious Basterds
Director

Quentin Tarantino, 2009

Starring

Brad Pitt, Mélanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Eli Roth

302 points, 21 lists
Children of Men
Director

Alfonso Cuarón, 2006

Starring

Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Clare-Hope Ashitey, Michael Caine

Hint breakdown...

Short hint....

WARNING: spoilers below

Get under, hide away (both films have characters trying to hide. In the case of Shosanna, she starts the film hiding under the house)
Don't let them get to you (see above)
Because of who you are (who you are, Jewish)
or what you will do (what you will do, give birth)

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Basterds was my #12 - not quite the "masterpiece" that its final line implies, but still one of QT's strongest films and a necessary rebound after the mixed reception to Grindhouse. I might have voted for Children of Men not too long ago (even had it on my 2013 edition of the top 100) but I'm kind of burnt out on Cuarón as a whole these days and even a relatively recent rewatch didn't exactly scream that I had to put this on my list - after all, I had to leave room for Speed Racer and Miami Vice.

18. Inglourious Basterds (290 points) - I rewatched this about a month ago. It's not particularly good at all. Really indulgent and gratuitous, which I know is what Tarantino is all about, but this is peak Tarantino and really quite cringey. Some good dialogue and cinematography but really it's just an excuse for Nazis and violence. Nowhere near my ballot.
17. Children of Men (302 points) - Very good film. Really well photographed with some good set pieces and tracking shots. Just missed out for me though.

Both Inglourious Basterds and Children Of Men are ok and no surprise to see them this high but neither were anywhere near being on my ballot.

Seen: 56/84 (Own: 37/84)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009) [18]
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006) [17]
13. Amélie (2001)
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Fourteen down, a dozen to go...

Seen both, voted for none...

Inglourious Basterds is great. I really loved it back when I first saw it, Christoph Waltz is superb, Melanie Laurent is a revelation, and Brad Pitt and Co. are hilarious. That said, I feel like my love for it has waned a slight bit. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, but my recollections of it tend to be more "episodic", than as a whole (i.e. Oh, the underground bar scene is great!... yeah, the theater scene is crazy, etc.) if that makes sense. Anyway, I considered it, but ended up cutting it.

Children of Men is a film I didn't really care on first viewing, but a second run at it, really drove it home. I think it's great now. Love the cast, Cuarón's direction is masterful. I had it on my mind, but ended up cutting it, though.

And now?...

Seen: 67/84

My ballot:  

The tense opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is absolutely fantastic. Christoph Waltz' performance is perfect. Even though I'm also a fan of both Daniel Brühl and Til Schweiger, this wasn't anywhere near being in contention for my list because I don't particularly like the rest of the film.

I wasn't excited about Children of Men when it was in theatres, and the trailers for it seemed very dull. All I heard from friends was that it was okay at best, so I passed on it. Over the last few years though, it seems like whenever it comes up, people are really positive and talking about how underrated it is. I should probably watch it.

Seen: 51/84

My List:
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
09. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #20
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds was all the way up at #8 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Cuarón's Children of Men was #11 there as well as #20 on the MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
He's had several alts that have been banned. Not sure if he has one currently.

He claims he purposely locked himself out of his main account by making it so that he can't change or recover his password, or something to that effect. He keeps following me and unfollowing me on Letterboxd under various names and did the same on Facebook until I stopped accepting his friend requests there.
Forum was the most fun with him around honestly.

I don't know about "screaming 2000s", but Shaun of the Dead is light years better than The Hangover.
Well, that's the problem. The host doesn't know whats 2000. All these foreign films are just here to try to impress people like Wintertriangles and Mr Minio

This is another movie I went and saw with my mom and I think it was her idea to see it. She hated Tarantino's reimagining of history, but I had a blast with it. Besides the sweet satisfaction of seeing a bunch of Nazis get slaughtered, it popped with Tarantino's signature dialogue and beautiful imagery, and features performances that ranged from heartbreaking, to chilling, to hilarious (people always rave about Christoph Waltz, and rightfully so, but damn is Brad Pitt one fine comedic actor). It immediately took a place among my all time favorites. I voted for it at #24, but don't let that low rank fool you, I haven't stopped loving it.

I have never had any interest in Children of Men.

Seen: 50/84

My Ballot:
1. Quills (#67)
2. Gladiator (#40)
3. Up (#33)
5. Ratatouille (#23)
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
14. The Departed (#19)
21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#63)
24. Inglourious Basterds (#18)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)

Meh. I thought I'd miss him, but it turns out I don't.
I'm not sure I really miss him, but I miss all the crazy things he's thought up and participated in.

Would you look at that... Double up on entries from my list.

I had Inglourious Basterds at #20 and Children of Men all the way up at #7.

Not much to say since I have reviewed both movies in the past, but Inglourious Basterds was kinda sorta the Tarantino flick that flipped me around and made me eagerly excited for every new film of his. I was still “‘new” to cinema back then, so that movie made me dive deeper into cinema as well as visit and revisit his filmography and appreciate everything a whole lot more. I still like this movie a whole lot but not quite as much as I used to.

As for Children of Men, it’s definitely one of my favorite movies. From the depiction of a near dystopian future to the fluid camera and natural lighting by Chivo to the simple yet effective core story of a faint hope in a fallen world. I’ve seen it many times and still love it.

Inglourious Basterds was my 1 pointer
Figured it'd make it so I placed it at 25.

1. Moon (2009) - 48th
6. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - 20th
8. Sin City (2005) - 47th
11. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - 57th
13. Cast Away (2000) - 69th
20. Unbreakable (2000) - 62nd
21. Gladiator (2000) - 40th
22. Watchmen (2009) - 87th
23. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 63rd
25. Inglourious Basterds (2009) - 18th

Reply to Topic