You're seeing things
In every single place
Inside, outside
Take off your face

Hide in the back
or in your room
You can't escape
Things that go boom!

This low? No way; if it's any spot besides #1 here, I'd be amazed. Batman Begins, though, I wouldn't be surprised by at all...

I forgot the opening line.
26. Requiem for a Dream : "Ass to ass." Requiem for a Dream's characters hit their nadir long after it seems they already must have - terrifying low points that can never be recovered from, and somehow, despite who these people are, you really feel for them by this point. They do start out with dreams, but somewhat facile and unwholesome ones that they only believe will make them happy. Their terrifying descent is vividly illustrated in dream-like cinematic visions that really cement this as an outstanding and memorable film. Who can ever forget Ellen Burstyn being terrorized by her own refrigerator? Impinging from around the corners is a society that thoughtlessly hands them the tools of their own destruction with a lack of care that seems obscene. I was definitely impacted the first time I watched this, and was very pleased that Jennifer Connelly was forging a serious career for herself beyond Labyrinth. There are many films that come before it in my reckoning though, so it didn't make my list.

25. City of God : I watched this around 6 to 8 months ago, as I had both City of God and City of Men - and despite having seen the former before my memory of it was vague. The Brazilian favelas have a reputation for blood-soaked violence and murder - and here we have a diverging tale of two young people. One, Rocket, will rise above his situation to become a journalistic photographer. The other, Li'l Zé, will embrace the drug dealing gangster life to become a notorious killer and madman. It's a very good film, but I didn't enjoy City of Men half as much (apparently it's based on a television series the director put together in Brazil.) If you like gangland wars and tales of people growing up in those kinds of neighbourhoods and making good, this is one of the better films that follow this path and takes you to a place we don't hear all that much about in our day to day lives. It's not a favourite of mine though, so didn't make my list.

64/76

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Batman Begins is already on the list.
Whoops, how'd I forget that? Anyway, I have no idea what else it might be, but I still say there's little chance that it'll be TDK this low; we'll see soon, though.

I like Requiem but not quite as much as I used to. I always found it to be more entertaining than disturbing.

1. The Secret in Their Eyes (2009) (#59)
2. Downfall (2004) (#28)
4. City of God (2002) (#25)
5. Adaptation (2002) (#43)
6. The Devil's Rejects (2005) (#94)
8. 28 Days Later (2002) (#45)
10. The Wrestler (2008) (#54)
11. Mystic River (2003) (#65)
14. Sideways (2002) (#39)
15. Amores Perros (2000) (#81)
17. Y tu mamá también (2001) (#95)

My first thought when I read "Put on your mask" was a line from The Death and Resurrection Show by Killing Joke, then I realized I had just seen a movie with that song and thought, is that it?

Then I remembered the movie: The Covenant. Nope.

The latest two I've heard so much about but have seen neither. So, neither is on my list. I was hoping more of my list would make it so far, but it ain't looking good, folks!

#5.Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#20. Iron Man 83
#21 Finding Nemo 44
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

"Early" hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Put on your mask
Put on your hat
Hide who you really are
You're not all that

You're seeing things
In every single place
Inside, outside
Take off your face

Hide in the back
or in your room
You can't escape
Things that go boom!
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
Dodgeball

A system of cells interlinked
The Dark Knight and Inglorious Basterds

241 points, 18 lists
Donnie Darko
Director

Richard Kelly, 2001

Starring

Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, James Duval, Drew Barrymore

243 points, 15 lists
Ratatouille
Director

Brad Bird, 2007

Starring

Patton Oswalt, Ian Holm, Lou Romano, Brian Dennehy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ratatouille was one of my last cuts. Cool to see it make it this high up.

Didn't see Donnie Darko yet.

My prediction game has been wayyy off

Hint breakdown...

"Early" hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Put on your mask (Bunny mask...)
Put on your hat (Chef hat...)
Hide who you really are (Linguini and Remy are deceiving people, but there's also the mystery of the man in the rabbit suit in DD)
You're not all that (Linguini is not that much of a chef)

You're seeing things (DD is seeing things, and in Ratatouille, characters often think they're seeing "things", ghosts, rats, etc.)
In every single place
Inside, outside (Kitchen, movie theater...)
Take off your face (Take of the bunny mask)

Hide in the back (Hide in the kitchen, where Remy usually hid)
or in your room (where DD is towards the beginning/end?)
You can't escape (as much as he tries...)
Things that go boom! (can't escape what's about to drop on him)

Reply to Topic