The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hmmm, let's see then. This applies to the lead characters from both films...

WARNING: spoilers below

They are not where they're used to be
They are entertainers
They are helped by a most unlikely person

Pretty good. Lemme show you my Finding Nemo one to get a better idea.

"When in the shadow of death, keep punching and boxing, among other physical traits."

Since I don't want people guessing on this instead, I'll just tell you. The shadow of death is the abyss where Dory sings "Just Keep Swimming," which the second half references. But the kicking and boxing refers to a kangaroo, exclusively native to Australia.

New rule for countdowns: You must submit your ballot AND a 10-15 second interpretive dance representing your #1 film.
I'm not supposed to reveal my #1 pick, but let's just say we should all be thankful that I won't be subjecting any of you to this. That would really be ... something.

New rule for countdowns: You must submit your ballot AND a 10-15 second interpretive dance representing your #1 film. If the person running the countdown is moved to tears by your performance, your film gets an extra 2 points.

I'm not doing this until I get a sequin unitard.

Oh, also, forgot to say I rewatched all of Kill Bill very very recently, by coincidence. Not for this or anything, but just because there was a little gap between when we started staying at the new house and when the Internet was up and running, so we bridged the gap with some DVDs and that was one of them.

Still tremendously watchable (which is why we picked it, of course), and picked up one some foreshadowing I hadn't noticed the first X times.

I'm not doing this until I get a sequin unitard.
One should have been mailed to you when you registered here. Please contact an admin if you have not received your sequin unitard.

Reveals in a few. Got caught up in the Christmas ornaments disassembly and I gotta keep the wife happy.

One should have been mailed to you when you registered here. Please contact an admin if you have not received your sequin unitard.

I hope so. They sent me a stupid tux and rolex instead, as if I didn't already have a closet full of em.

Oh, I was just being Raul for a moment You're doing one helluva impressive job as host, no complaints here.
Oh, good heavens, NO!

195 points, 15 lists
Lost in Translation
Director

Sofia Coppola, 2003

Starring

Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Giovanni Ribisi, Anna Faris

199 points, 16 lists
The Pianist
Director

Roman Polanski, 2002

Starring

Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay, Maureen Lipman

As for the hint, I'm going to say:

Lost in Translation
One of the Lord of the Rings movies probably Two Towers
You win half a prize!

Hint breakdown...

Hmmm, let's see then. This applies to the lead characters from both films...

WARNING: spoilers below

They are not where they're used to be (reference to the "Lost" in the title, but also to the lead characters being "lost" in another country, or in the midst of war)
They are entertainers (Bob is an actor, and Szpilman is, well, a pianist)
They are helped by a most unlikely person (Bob, an older man, is "helped" by a much younger woman, and Szpilman is helped by a Nazi German)
Ta-ta!

Tried watching Lost In Translation once but wasn't feeling it and have never returned to retry it (having a very low opinion of The Bling Ring from Ms. Coppola certainly didn't help in garnering any enthusiasm to do so). Probably haven't ever seen The Pianist, I'd imagine if I had it would have left some impression.

Seen: 43/70 (Own: 31/70)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
30. Whale Rider (2002)
29. The Others (2001)

Lost In Translation was my 23. It may have fell off if I hadn’t recently rewatched it. It’s tremendous. Such a melancholy film, and I adore spending time in it.

I held off on The Pianist way too long. I don’t really enjoy Brody outside of Anderson. The movie is fantastic though. Just outside being a favorite but certainly would be top 50 of the decade for me.

Haven't seen Lost in Translation.

The Pianist, on the other hand, was #18 on my ballot. The film successfully captures the mundanity of living in isolation, a lot of the violence feels like it's being shown from Szpilman's point of view, and the story is compelling in terms of who helps Szpilman out and who doesn't. In fact, I rewatched it last week with my roommate and he enjoyed it quite a bit as well.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (#78)
7. A Serious Man (#66)
9. 28 Days Later (#45)
18. The Pianist (#31)
20. Moon (#48)
23. Sunshine (#88)
25. The New World (#99)

I watched Lost in Translation once many years ago and was pretty thoroughly unimpressed with it, though don't ask me to recall the specifics of why.

I haven't seen The Pianist and have no desire to change that.

Wow those are both very high. I didn’t know The Pianist was so beloved.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. What are the odds, I ended up rewatching Lost in Translation today. Parts of it haven't aged well in one way or another, but it still holds up where it counts. I've seen The Pianist once and liked it, but have felt little reason to revisit it.

Reply to Topic