The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

133 points, 8 lists
Synecdoche, New York
Director

Charlie Kaufman, 2008

Starring

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Samantha Morton, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michelle Williams

139 points, 10 lists
28 Days Later...
Director

Danny Boyle, 2002

Starring

Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson, Megan Burns

Liked both when I saw them but that would have been over 10 years ago. Have soured on Kaufman a lot in that time and I can't imagine a situation where I'd end up watching 28 Days Later again even though I have fond, if vague, memories of it.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Synecdoche once and remember liking it, always meant to revisit it but I was never too big into Kaufman and I was less than impressed by I'm Thinking of Ending Things (which I watched twice, no less) so maybe I never will get back to it. You never know, though. 28 Days Later is a film that took me a while to properly warm up to - easy enough to side-eye this hot new zombie movie that thought it was too cool to use the Z-word (I even wrote a 2.5 review a few years back that I suspect will get referenced in one of Thief's follow-up posts) but I now recognise it as one of the better 21st-century horror films.

Technically you didn't even ask this, which adds layer to the distaste in your response. Nice.
One of the benefits of generally striving for correct grammar and syntax is that it makes the moments where one deliberately chooses not to use it have a greater impact, as is needed when someone decides to start adding unsolicited opinions to a simple guessing game.

Never seen Synecdoche, New York, have never really felt that it would be up my Straße tbh. I like the first half of 28 Days Later but am not so keen on the second.

Seen: 34/56 (Own: 25/56)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
44. Chicken Run (2000)
43. Zoolander (2001)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I have a feeling that I've seen 28 Days Later many years ago but I don't count it as seen.

Couple of years ago, I've started watching Synecdoche, New York. It was some late evening and I fell asleep after half an hour. Never start it again but I'd like to.

No change in my stats.

I will need to see 28 Days Later. It’s Boyle, it has a cool cast. I hear you mofo. Que the one of Sean’s two horror watches this year music.

I adore Synecdoche, even though I still don’t think I spell it correctly. Kauffman’s writing is brilliant. Few people convey being a human in our current culture like him. Pair that with PSH in every frame and I was never not going to love it. My #11

Vanilla Sky and Synecdoche, New York are clearly next, from the clues.
Pretty sure one is Synecdoche, New York. For the other, Taken?
I'd say one of them has to be 28 Days Later.
28 days seems obvious though I've never seen it. Maybe Signs for the other one?
You can all split the winnings.

Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later... did not make the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List but was #39 on the initial MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies List and then jumped up to #23 on the 2019 reboot of that list. Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York was on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List at #79.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Don't know if I'm awake (28 Days Later starts with Jim waking up)
or I'm still sleeping (while Synecdoche has a dreamlike state all through)
Are the streets all empty (obviously a reference to 28DL's opening)
or are they just acting (and this a reference to the people acting through SNY)

Can't handle this anymore (both lead characters find themselves overwhelmed)
All I have inside is rage (reference to the "Rage" virus in 28DL)
Wife and daughter slipping (reference to Caden's wife and daughter leaving)
All my life is a stage (and how everything seems to be fake/an act)

Is it been almost a month (28 days = almost a month)
Now they're watching from the sky (both a reference to the ending of 28DL with the helicopter, or the theater director/playwright overseeing his work)
Or is it been all my life (all the life condensed in SNY)
Waiting for my cue to die (referenced to the very ending of SNY)
Piece of cake!

Seen both, voted for ONE...

I haven't seen 28 Days Later in a while. I remember more or less liking it, but having some issues with the last act. I've been meaning to rewatch it, but haven't gotten around to it, which is why I never considered it. For what it's worth, I kinda prefer the second one even though it also has issues in its last act.

Synecdoche, New York was my #7. It obviously has the advantage of having a brilliant lead performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman, who is arguably my favorite modern actor, but mostly I'll say that it was one of the most emotionally affecting experiences I've had watching a film.

How many is that?...

Seen: 40/56

My ballot:  

Big Kaufman fan, and I saw Synecdoche, New York in the theaters, and just assumed it was one of those films I would (have to) see over and over and...somehow I've never seen it a second time. Or if I did, just a second time a long time ago, which I've mostly forgotten. Something about it turns me off, makes me not want to dive in again. I feel tired when I think about it. I'm pretty sure I'd be fairly well absorbed if I merely started it, but starting it again has proved intimidating for some reason.

One of these days I'll find out if the depth is there, the depth I suspected was there when I first saw it. But for now, I don't know, and it wasn't on my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Big Kaufman fan, and I saw Synecdoche, New York in the theaters, and just assumed it was one of those films I would (have to) see over and over and...somehow I've never seen it a second time. Or if I did, just a second time a long time ago, which I've mostly forgotten. Something about it turns me off, makes me not want to dive in again. I feel tired when I think about it. I'm pretty sure I'd be fairly well absorbed if I merely started it, but starting it again has proved intimidating for some reason.

One of these days I'll find out if the depth is there, the depth I suspected was there when I first saw it. But for now, I don't know, and it wasn't on my list.
I've never thought about seeing it again. I'm OK with not having to.

I should see 28 Days Later however.

I saw 28 Days Later in the theater at a ridiculously late showing (ridiculously late for me and my sister on a weeknight, maybe a 10:30pm start?). I really dug it. This was when they did that weird thing where they showed the alternate endings after the movie, leading to much confusion from some of the audience.

Anyway, my sister and I left the theater around 12:30am and walked back to where we'd parked our car, in a garage. The entire garage was empty. The attendant was gone. And after watching the film, we hustled back to our car with increasing speed in the eerily empty space. It was basically like that Key & Peele sketch.

A few weeks afterwards, my sister made me a duct-tape wallet with an embedded picture from the film. With a very little maintenance, it is still the wallet that I use to this day.

That said, it was a late cut from my own list, but I'm thrilled to see it make the countdown. For a film that got a lot of attention for its visual elements (like the shots of Jim in an abandoned London or that image of the graffiti on the staircase), it has some real emotional heft. I love the bonding that takes place between Jim, Selena, Hannah, and Frank.

It's a movie that is scary and tragic but also a bit optimistic, and that's the kind of mix that I like in a horror film.

I haven't seen Synecdoche and I just haven't been in a rush to do so. I remember it getting mostly positive reviews when it came out, but it's never appealed to me.

Let the night air cool you off
I like Synecdoche, New York a lot. It was my numero cinco.

5. Synecdoche, New York
9. American Psycho
15. Punch-Drunk Love
25. Jason X

My list so far is pretty bare. I know it's going to fill out as some of my choices are pretty boring, but it's also clear that the other half of my list won't be showing up at all.

Took me some rewatches to truly appreciate how good 28DL is, and it is damn good.

Also so many people including myself almost had Moon on their list. Imagine how much higher it could’ve been. :O

Something about it turns me off, makes me not want to dive in again. I feel tired when I think about it. I'm pretty sure I'd be fairly well absorbed if I merely started it, but starting it again has proved intimidating for some reason.
Pretty much this, I wanna say I watched it 5-6 years ago, appreciated the technical and writing aspects, but the PSH character was just such a downer It left me cold.

As for 28DL, I've enjoyed Danny Boyle enough, maybe a bit too high for that one.

Reply to Topic