The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Collateral

Did you know that...
  • writer Stuart Beattie was inspired to write the film when he was 17, and took a cab from Sydney airport?
  • Frank Darabont and Mimi Leder were considered as directors at some point?
  • Russell Crowe and Adam Sandler were attached to the project? Crowe was the one who brought Michael Mann on board, but he left the project later. Robert De Niro was also considered to play the, uhh, taxi driver.
  • Jason Statham is allegedly playing his Transporter character in his brief cameo?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Despite its accolades and reputation, I've just never been all that interested in Almost Famous. Though having recently watched and loved Say Anything, I find myself more willing to give it a shot.

Both are quite charming in similar ways. There are a few bits of near cringe overacting from Anna Paquin and Kate Hudson, but, oddly, Fairuza Balk really anchors that group. Personally, I feel Frances McDormand played her very best version of Frances McDormand here and totally nailed her role.

Seriously though, it is a sweet movie with quite a few moving parts jumping around and you really start to cheer for everyone in different ways. I did, at least. Hell, Dwight Shrute plays a bit with Rolling Stone Magazine. Groovy, man. Crazy.

I'd love to read your take on it whenever you get around to it.

Both are quite charming in similar ways. There's a few bits of near cringe overacting from Anna Paquin and Kate Hudson, but, oddly, Fairuza Balk really anchors that group. Personally, I feel Frances McDormand played her very best version of Frances McDormand here and totally nailed her role.

Seriously though, it is a sweet movie with quite a few moving parts jumping around and you really start to cheer for everyone in different ways. II did, at least. Hell, Dwight Shrute plays a bit with Rolling Stone Magazine. Groovy, man. Crazy.

I'd love to read your take on it whenever you get around to it.
Hearing people talk about it in this thread (combined with the recent Say Anything viewing) has certainly made me 10x more interested in it than I've been in the last 20 years.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Fight for what you love
Love what you fight with
Kneeling or not
Up in the air or deep hid

Stay focused, don't lose sight
Remember your loved ones
Even if you fight
Or the other walks out and runs

This last part don't rhyme, wo!
It serves a purpose? To who?
Those who decipher it can
and doesn't take them long

There you go. Have fun

Hint, hint...

Fight for what you love
Love what you fight with
Kneeling or not

Remember your loved ones
Even if you fight

There you go. Have fun
Going with "City of God" and " Signs"

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, but he's definitely good at picking some great movies. I watched Collateral for this countdown, and I liked it a lot. It might have even had a chance to make my list, except there were a few things about it that bothered me.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Collateral"!!!" spoilers below
1) During the shootout out the club, why didn't most people run? They just kept dancing, (and sometimes ducking), like nothing was happening.

2) Vincent had perfect aim every time he had to shoot someone, but all of a sudden when he's shooting at Max, he completely misses him.

3) Mark Ruffalo's character was completely wasted in the movie. He started out as the guy who was putting it all together and solving the crimes, but then he gets killed for nothing because even though he got Max out of the club, Max still ended up back in the cab with Vincent.

I haven't seen In Bruges.

I loved both In Bruges and Collateral yet have only seen each once. It doesn't mean that I don't think both are highly rewatchable...I do, just for some inexplicable reason I haven't seen both more than once.

And for some reason at the beginning of his career, I didn't think I'd care for Cruise. It wasn't something I could nail down. But then the more I watched his films, the more I liked them and him. I've got no problem with him and look forward to his movies now. I really need to catch up the MI films.

Whenever I hear or read the title In Bruges, I laugh and it really doesn't haven't anything to do with the film itself. I watched a movie on Hallmark with Lacey Chabert (Yes, I confess! I've watched more than my share of Hallmark movies, especially with Lacey, whom I adore) and of all places, it took place in the city of Bruges. And I would laugh because I lost count of how many times they said "In Bruges," in the movie. I mean, if I was a drinking man, I would have gotten blitzed really fast if I took a shot or swig every time that was said. I know, a lot of people have to drink in order to watch even one Hallmark movie! But, there, it's out there now and I'm glad I tell you! Glad!

That said, didn't vote for either.

#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#20. Iron Man 83
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

Million Dollar Baby is a really good film , and perhaps could've made my list if it hasn't been such a long time since I've seen it. Another Eastwood film did fairly high, but now I feel like it'll miss the cut, but I do know of a few more fans.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hint, hint...

Fight for what you love
Love what you fight with
Kneeling or not

Remember your loved ones
Even if you fight

There you go. Have fun
Requiem and Lives of Others

A thumbs up for 3-3.5 movies?!? This is the 100 best though!
Christmas hasn't been good for my neck so I'll comment on the films another, less painful, time. However, I am still HK, so I couldn't let this go. @rauldc14 it's the 00's. I'm still not convinced there's 100 good films, let lone
+ or
films. You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

Christmas hasn't been good for my neck so I'll comment on the films another, less painful, time. However, I am still HK, so I couldn't let this go. @rauldc14 it's the 00's. I'm still not convinced there's 100 good films, let lone
+ or

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
+ or
The only good one is Charlie's Angels I suppose?

115 points, 10 lists
The Wrestler
Director

Darren Aronofsky, 2008

Starring

Mickey Rourke, Evan Rachel Wood, Marisa Tomei, Mark Margolis

117 points, 8 lists
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Director

Ang Lee, 2000

Starring

Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zhang Ziyi, Chang Chen

A system of cells interlinked
I am just catching up, and when I got to the hint, I had a sinking feeling in my gut that one of the films was going to be The Da Vinci Code.

Luckily, Thief had just that minute posted the reveals, which alleviated my fears.

Whew!

Hint breakdown!

I haven't seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon since it came out, so I barely remember anything, which made this a bit tougher, but...

Hint, hint...

Fight for what you love (It can apply to both, but mostly "fight" and the love of "fighting", wrestling)
Love what you fight with (on the other hand, a character steals a precious sword on CTHD)
Kneeling or not (Kneeling = crouching, but also could be a reference to submission in wrestling)
Up in the air or deep hid (Hid = Hidden, while "up in the air" could refer to any wrestling move or the acrobatic fights in CTHD)

Remember your loved ones (mostly a reference to The Wrestler's struggle with his daughter)
Even if you fight (again, reference to fighting, which there is lots of in both films)

("Wo who/hu can(g) long" is the title of CTHD in Mandarin. Clever or too much?)

There you go. Have fun
No guesses this time

Reply to Topic