The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I still contend Punch-Drunk Love is the height of P.T. Anderson's Robert Altman obsession. Magnolia is clearly the closest in form and style to the point where much of it comes off as homage, but centering the entire narrative of P-DL around that Shelley Duvall song...that's some crazy shee-it. At least Magnolia was aping Altman's masterpieces.

Punch-Drunk Love was definitely not on my ballot, but I must admit its artifice and insanity has grown on me over the years.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

On another note, I watched The Death of Mr. Lazarescu today and it was quite good but wouldn't have cracked my ballot. Hyperrealist-type films like this rarely score higher than like a 7/10 with me, just not really my style.
That's awesome. Glad to see you gave it a shot even if not your style.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm trying to decipher the "clue". I haven't come up with anything. Of course I'm looking at well known movie titles and not obscure films or average films that make me think people like Harry Lime, Ueno and Mr. minio have hacked an account or twelve.
Hey I've got some mainstream films on my list too. I like a good mix. I made sure to put the mainstream movies on my alt account lists too so don't worry.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Fed
Fed who?
Fed with this goofy films

Someone said
"You shall not pass!"
But I worked hard
And I did pass

I fought, I cried
I flew, I stole, I ran
Money, diamonds
Cash right from the pan

Afraid of the gangster
Afraid of the suit
Afraid of the countdown
They're forcing me to

Ain't putting nothing
Back on that shelf
And if you knock
You can go f*ck yourself

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Monsters, Inc. is the first movie from my list to make the countdown. I first saw it when it was in the theaters, and it quickly became one of my favorite movies. I've seen it many more times since then, and I love it more every time. It was #2 on my list.

I've never been a fan of Adam Sandler, but I watched several of his movies for this countdown, including Punch-Drunk Love. A couple of his movies were good enough that I considered them for my list, but this was not one of them. I liked it, but not enough for it to make my list. However it was nice to see him in some movies that were not just stupid mindless comedies.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Knock, knock...
Who's there?
Fed
Fed who?
Fed with this goofy films

Someone said
"You shall not pass!"
But I worked hard
And I did pass

I fought, I cried
I flew, I stole, I ran
Money, diamonds
Cash right from the pan

Afraid of the gangster
Afraid of the suit
Afraid of the countdown
They're forcing me to

Ain't putting nothing
Back on that shelf
And if you knock
You can go f*ck yourself
The Two Towers
Snatch

I don't know what the next films are going to be, but I have enough faith in Thief to be quite certain that neither one is going to be The Lord of the Rings movie.

A system of cells interlinked
Catch Me if You Can makes sense...

Not sure of the other one...

You think coffee is more important than movies? I can't believe you, man
I'm at the point in my life where coffee might be more important than my wife and kids.

87 points, 10 lists
Catch Me If You Can
Director

Steven Spielberg, 2002

Starring

Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen

88 points, 9 lists
Snatch
Director

Guy Ritchie, 2000

Starring

Benicio del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones, Brad Pitt