The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Every countdown I end up reminding people that usually not seeing any of your films (or films you know/like) early on tends to mean they're just gonna place higher. So you can be bummed out now, or later. And "later" is a much longer period of time than "now."

All of the fillums on my ballot are 100% gonna make an appearance. If not 'now' or 'later' then certainly they will when I get to reveal what I voted for. I've never had one of mine not get a mention yet

Just woke up from a much needed nap...

...so reveals in a few minutes

84 points, 5 lists
Monsters, Inc.
Director

Pete Docter, 2001

Starring

John Goodman, Billy Crystal, Mary Gibbs, Steve Buscemi

86 points, 9 lists
Punch-Drunk Love
Director

Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002

Starring

Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Luis Guzmán

OK, my problem with The Devil's Backbone is that it's more "chilling" than "scary." Not enough ghost horror. BUT the story was really good anyway. Excellent acting, very hatable villain, good ending. 91.

EDIT: How the **** did I not guess Monsters Inc.? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I've always loved it. 93.

I've been interested in checking out Punch Drunk Love since it's a rare breed: an Adam Sandler movie people love.

Seen 16/28

This is seriously the most goofy countdown ever
That SC impersonation is coming along splendidly, raul.

Sideways maybe perhaps. I've seen the film though so probably not.

Probably some goofy horror film and some middle of the road foreign movie.
Really! Very, very good.

Here, we will use this to turn the countdown around:

The Mega Gong
And now the transformation is complete. Welcome back, SC.

ATTT, I was so amped for KKBB. Maybe too much? Val Kilmer and RDJ before he became an utter cock-Womble? Yes please. But I didn't like it. Saw it once, when released, and not since. I remember almost nothing of it other than I didn't like it and was really disappointed and, like @Pussy Galore, felt that it was trying soooo damn hard and failing even harder because of it.

The Devil's Backbone I finally saw a couple of years ago, but was underwhelmed by that too. But, by then, I was used to that feeling from Del Toro, who sits very much in the 'everyone loves him but me' column.

Just as I post the next ones arrive.

Monsters Inc is a wonderful, HK 100 film. Can't praise it much more than that. Funny, smart, touching, great duo and villain/sidekick/henchmen and a wonderful cast of characters for them to play around. Just great and easily the best Pixar film I've seen (and, therefore, the best Pixar film because otherwise I'd have bothered to watch it ) and, off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the only animated film to make my 100.

Punch Drunk Love stars Adam Sandler (without Drew Barrymore) and is directed by PTA. What do you think I thought of it?

First of all, I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love, which made it a bit harder for me to come up with a hint without spoiling things for myself, so there's that. Anyway...

Aaaaand finally... hint!

WARNING: spoilers below

Open the door (Doors are key to Monsters, Inc. but there's a door on the most known poster of PDL)
What do I see (Very vague, but "see" is the first reference to "looking" with an eye)
There's a couple (again, PDL's poster has a couple in a doorway)
Looking at me (another reference to looking/eye/Mike. Vague, but well)

Open the door (Another door, cause there are many doors in Monsters, Inc.)
Darn, she's a great girl (Sandler wants to be with this great girl)
Do I take the plunge (I understand he has a toilet plunger business?)
Or do I cower and curl? (reference to fear or being scared of what's behind the door)

Open the door (Third door, again, lots of doors)
and go back inside (reference to monsters going back through the door)
Take nothing with you (but they must not take anything with them, or they'll need to be disinfected)
Just enjoy the ride (vague reference to them riding on the doors, like in the Monsters Inc. climax)
There you go. I hope it makes sense.

"Punch Drunk Love" is Sandler' s best film. Kind of like saying that puking is the best thing about a hangover.

"Monsters" was okay enough, never came close to making the list.

Kind of disappointed with some of these picks.

That SC impersonation is coming along splendidly, raul.

And now the transformation is complete. Welcome back, SC.
Who is SC?

A case of "Didn't vote for / Don't mind that they're here"

DVF / DMH

Both Monsters Inc. and Punch-Drunk Love are ok watches but neither was ever really under consideration for my own ballot.

Seen: 18/28 (Own: 14/28)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.0):
72. Snatch (2000)
71. Sideways (2004)

Like I said, I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love, which is weird, considering how much of a PTA fan I am. I think it's because it came right after Magnolia, which I didn't react well to, and it really didn't get a lot of great reviews back in the day. I will get to it one of these days.

As for Monsters, Inc., for a good while, I would mention it as my favorite Pixar film, and maybe it still is. But even though I saw it a good bunch of times back then, it's been a very long time since I last saw it. That's why I didn't include it.

Seen: 16/28

My ballot:  

Also, Monsters, Inc. is only the second animated film to make it on the list (after Waking Life). How many more will there be?

Reply to Topic