The Twilight Zone Hall of Fame

Tools    

The sword also kept returning itself to Fenton every time he tried to give it away, even when he threw it in the trash, the garbage man brought it back to him.
Oh, I love the idea that he's being haunted by this symbol of his crime. I think it's a great touch, and shows allegorically that we cannot throw away or give away our guilt.

Why would George Takei say otherwise? Not that I hold that an actor knows the intention of the story, unless he talked first hand to the writer about it.
You mean you think Takei is saying that the father being a traitor wasn't real?

Don't know if it was mentioned, but there was a similar episode (similar subject matter, anyway) with the recently deceased Dean Stockwell as a soldier who gets to see both sides of the war in the Pacific during WWII. It was titled A Quality of Mercy.

From what I understand an updated version of that episode was made for Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983).

Don't know if it was mentioned, but there was a similar episode (similar subject matter, anyway) with the recently deceased Dean Stockwell as a soldier who gets to see both sides of the war in the Pacific during WWII. It was titled A Quality of Mercy.

From what I understand an updated version of that episode was made for Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983).
You know there's a much similar episode to The Encounter in the original Star Trek series, Day of the Dove.

You mean you think Takei is saying that the father being a traitor wasn't real?
Yes. Takei says at the 2:15 mark in the video that Arthur fantasies that his father was a traitor at Pearl Habor then he says or images it.

Yes. Takei says at the 2:15 mark in the video that Arthur fantasies that his father was a traitor at Pearl Habor then he says or images it.
While I obviously take a lot of issue with the script as I'm reading it, I think that this makes even less sense. I took Takei's use of the word "fantasy" as being more akin to "hallucination" than to meaning something he was making up.

So... just a question on opinions: do you guys think the episode (The Encounter) was banned because of the suggestion of a Japanese American who was a traitor at Pearl Harbor (since no such story has ever been confirmed or even suggested, thus reinforcing some WWII-era stereotype that grew out of paranoia, but for which there was never any basis) OR was it due to some of the blatant racism and xenophobia expressed by Fenton?

I'm asking for opinions since this was not the only Twilight Zone episode to deal with racism or utilize offensive language to make a point against racism, but it was the only one banned (that I know of).

So... just a question on opinions: do you guys think the episode (The Encounter) was banned because of the suggestion of a Japanese American who was a traitor at Pearl Harbor (since no such story has ever been confirmed or even suggested, thus reinforcing some WWII-era stereotype that grew out of paranoia, but for which there was never any basis) OR was it due to some of the blatant racism and xenophobia expressed by Fenton?

I'm asking for opinions since this was not the only Twilight Zone episode to deal with racism or utilize offensive language to make a point against racism, but it was the only one banned (that I know of).
If Fandom is considered an accurate source, it's a little of both, with the former issue that there is no evidence that such espionage ever occurred being the primary reason.

"A Stop at Willoughby" CONTAINS SPOILERS

This is a pretty good episode that reminds me of "Time Enough at Last" in that it's also about a man with unsatisfying work and home lives who only finds solace in his imagination. While I viewed that other episode to be primarily about, well...there never being enough time to do that, this one is most effective as a case study in a widely discussed mental health condition lately: imposter syndrome. James Daly makes it easy to empathize with Gart, a man who as a result of feeling pressured to please his spouse, being promoted much too quickly or a little of columns A and B ends up in a place where he cannot live authentically. As for Willoughby, with a look and feel that reminds me of Mayberry, I love how nostalgic, sickly sweet and too perfect it looks as well as how much of a stark contrast it is from Gart's real world. There's also the demon that is his superior, Misrell, who Howard Smith plays as the worst boss any of us have ever had. Thankfully, he does it in a way that adds much-needed comic relief thanks to his delivery of his goofy "push" catchphrase.

I like the episode quite a bit, but it's not a classic like the similar "Time Enough at Last." Also, despite Gart's constant favoring of his stomach telegraphing the ending and even though I can’t think of another way the story could have concluded, it’s still a bit over the top for me that he dies. My opinion about the episode telling a valuable story about imposter syndrome still stands and I'd encourage anyone who struggles with it to watch it. You might need to warn them about the ending and to not take it the wrong way, though.

I'd guess it's because of the two script flaws IMO, that I mentioned. They are Takei saying his father was a traitor at Pearl Habor, and then apparently turned into a crazed warrior jumping out the window yelling banzai.

This is an interesting article that contains some production information on The Encounter and quotes from the director.

https://thenightgallery.wordpress.com/2021/09/01/a-harsh-encounter-what-a-long-hidden-twilight-zone-can-teach-us-about-
hate/

Takei's interview seems to suggest it was the former, and I think that makes the most sense. There are other episodes that deal with racism/bias (like the one you cited where the American wakes up and finds he's turned into the Japanese officer whose squad he's trapped in a cave).

An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge Season 5 Episode 22

That stunt with a man floating down the rapids of a river was dangerous. He ever did that actually shot the rapids with their body which is a good way to bash one's head into a submerged rock. I was stunned by that river sequences, it has to be one of the most dangerous stunts I've seen done on film.

This is a much appreciate nom for the Twilight Zone HoF as it's quite different in filming technique and story telling than the usual fare. It's a French production that got the green light from Serling to be on his show. It feels very French too in the way it's filmed and that makes it a nice choice for our HoF. As is doesn't have any character development and next to no dialogue it relies on the end reveal, which makes this a powerful first time watch but not as much on the second watch for me. This one is going to be hard to rank on my ballot.

Wordplay/Dreams For Sale/Chameleon
Season 1 Episode 2

Were all these episodes original shown as one TZ show?

Dreams for Sale
hard to evaluate 9 minutes of TZ but I'll try: I like the actress she had unusual light colored eyes. I disliked the effect that was used to show time shifting.

Chameleon this was better nothing to special but it held my attention.

Wordplay now this was a cool concept as it made me wonder what would I do if everyone around me starting speaking strangely using words that I knew but for different things. I think this idea was done on Star Trek Voyager. Bonus points for Annie Potts and I liked Robert Klein as the guy who didn't want dinosaur but wanted lunch.

I'm guessing these episodes were picked by a fan of Wes Craven? Who directed them.

Season 2 Episode 15: The Invaders

It's hard for me to talk about what I love about this episode without giving away the ending, so I'm not going to try to avoid spoilers. If you haven't seen this episode yet, don't read any further.

WARNING: spoilers below
This is my second time watching this episode and I was pleased to find that it held up really well. Though it may require a couple viewing for one to fully appreciate it, the rewards are well worth it. I think half the fun of this episode is rewatching it and picking up on all the evidence and foreshadowing for the twist ending, and I'm generally a sucker for those types of stories. On your first viewing, you'll probably find the old woman's behavior weird and distracting, but when you rewatch the episode, you'll recognize that her oddities (communicating only with grunting noises rather than dialogue) are intentional. What I like the most about the old woman's behavior is that she doesn't seem to fully understand how to fight back against the "aliens". Since they're much smaller than her, she has the clear advantage and probably could've killed them much earlier than she did, but the behavior she shows in the episode (wasting opportunities to kill them and shying away from the aliens in fear) reflect her naivety in regards to self-defense and show that, instead of knowing what to do from the get-go, she's instead trying to teach herself how to fight back. I found that to be a great touch. Overall, this is a strong episode and, even though it isn't among my favorites in the show, I imagine it will do fairly well when I rank all the episodes at the end.

Next Up: It's a Good Life

Season 2 Episode 15: The Invaders

...What I like the most about the old woman's behavior is that she doesn't seem to fully understand how to fight back against the "aliens". Since they're much smaller than her, she has the clear advantage and probably could've killed them much earlier than she did, but the behavior she shows in the episode (wasting opportunities to kill them and shying away from the aliens in fear) reflect her naivety in regards to self-defense and show that, instead of knowing what to do from the get-go, she's instead trying to teach herself how to fight back. I found that to be a great touch..

I hadn't thought along those line, but I like what you said there.
Myself I always considered the lady to be a primitive alien and perhaps from a mute species, living in Earth's equivalent of the bronze age. But I think what really going on is, she's non violent and doesn't know how to fight back, she's literally helpless when faced with an attack from the Invaders.

I hadn't thought along those line, but I like what you said there.
Myself I always considered the lady to be a primitive alien and perhaps from a mute species, living in Earth's equivalent of the bronze age. But I think what really going on is, she's non violent and doesn't know how to fight back, she's literally helpless when faced with an attack from the Invaders.
Yeah, I really like the idea that the aliens from her world aren't aware of fighting and, as a result, the lady has to teach herself how to fight back against the invaders throughout the episode. It reminds me of the futuristic people in The Time Machine.

The 1960 version is great. I actually liked the 2002 version too and it's been a long time since I seen it.
I might get to the remake someday. It's going to be hard to top the 1960 film though.

I might get to the remake someday. It's going to be hard to top the 1960 film though.
It's been like 20 years since I seen the remake but I remember it being very different so it's more a reboot I guess.