26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
And Then There Were None

Most of my feelings after the first episode never left. I don't think this miniseries has much to offer that you can't get better versions of elsewhere. Whether it be visuals, music, acting, etc. When something is bad and also long, that's not a winning combination. That's how I feel about And Then There Were None.

Tower

I think this film is mostly great. It touched on a subject that happened a long time ago, so with that distance between now and then can make you think of it archeologically instead of with humanity and emotionally. It didn't dwell on the killer, but instead told the story of the people who acted bravely when it came time for them to act bravely. It never really felt manipulative as documentaries can get. The visuals were whatever to me, I mean, the idea behind it is well done and at times could add to the humanity by switching the visuals in and out to show the real people. The film did well to manage those transitions so as not to be manipulative. The only thing I hated was when it started showing recent shootings and the Cronkite clip where he blamed society for the shooting. I could get into further why I hate the idea of blaming society for the shooting and how the film implies that it also believes it by showing the clip at all. I also didn't like the film cheaply showing brief moments referencing other attacks, as the attention was taken away from the victims of this particular tragedy. I just didn't think it was necessary and took me out of the film.

Last time The Wizard of Oz was in an HoF was in the 5th HoF. It was Raul's nom and came in 7 out of 15 movies, right in the middle of the pack. It'll be interesting to see how it does here.
  1. A Separation 154 points. Runaway winner and high on almost everyone's list. I had it in 6th place and I was one of the people that placed it the lowest. Not that I didn't think it was a fantastic movie it was just up against a great group. More than happy about it winning.
  2. Le Trou 138 points. Pussy you came very close to being the first person with two inductees. This was on the top to middle top of a lot of lists.
  3. Plein Soleil 122 points. Another well liked movie. I'm pleased that this came in third place because it shows that members are willing to place a movie high that maybe isn't necessarily about really heavy themes , but is none-the-less a really good movie and certainly a worthy contender. Placed high on my own list.
  4. Unforgiven 118 points. This is where the placements started to vary a lot more, but this one had its share of high placings. I had forgotten how good it is.
  5. Wadjda- 108 points. Besides myself and Thursday this one was right smack dab in the middle of most lists. Miss Vicky had it fairly high too.
  6. Boy's Don't Cry 106 points another one that came in the middle a lot with only one really low placing (I think)
  7. The Wizard of Oz 102 points generally placed really high or really low. It was my number one choice. Those of you who love this movie like I do, just wait for the musical HoF.
  8. Quills - 100 points Some people really liked this but placing really low a couple of times hurt it. Another I placed pretty high.
  9. A Woman Under the Influence 100 points See Above.
  10. Divorce Italian Style 97 points kind of all over the place, but I think it was a generally well liked movie. I can see this being a specialty HoF winner someday.
  11. Ordet 97 points Such a low placing for such a great film, but that is why there are many judges not just one.
  12. Claire's Knee 94 points a polarizing film. It wasn't my cup of tea but I could see the appeal of it for others.
  13. Sideways 84 points. This is a really like able film that maybe just got swallowed up a bit. Still a really good nomination.
  14. The Wages of Fear 77 points something tells me that being in the same HoF as Le Trou hurt this film. I think it's better than it placed, but this was an extremely competitive HoF and I don't think the score reflects the quality of the film.
  15. Bullets Over Broadway 64 points Just not a lot of people's cup of tea. I think Woody Allen is a bit of an acquired taste

Weird order....had I participated I think I would have gone

1. The Wages of Fear
2. Unforgiven
3. Wadja
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. Divorce Italian Style
6. Le Trou
7. A Separation
8. Claire's Knee
9. A Woman Under the Influence
10. San Solieil
11. Sideways
12. Boys Don't Cry
13. Quills
14. Bullets over Broadway
15. Ordet

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I have to second what Raul said.

In past HoFs people have finished and sent in their list without writing all the reviews, that's always been allowed. In the 25th HoF which I hosted Edarsenal was short one review but finished on time and sent in his list, so no problem.
And it was for a gosh durned good reason, too

I forgot the opening line.

I love the Criterion poster for The Celebration. It fits the vibes of the film and the Dogme 95 movement really well.

With that being said though, I think the low budget feel of the film works in its favor, so I'm not sure whether a high definition version of the film would help or hinder it. Still curious how it would look though.
I get a big kick out of seeing what Criterion has done visually for their films. They do it better than nearly anyone else.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

#11:

Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! (2008, Mark Hartley)

Nominated By: PHOENIX74

Ballot Rankings: 2nd, 5th, 8th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 11th

Total Points: 37

I had it second to last. Did enjoy it though. Fun doc. Docs that are just talking heads or clips edited together are kind of hard to rate against narrative films.

#10:

Daisies (1966, Věra Chytilová)

Nominated By: ueno_station54

Ballot Rankings: 2nd, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 11th, 11th, 11th

Total Points: 40

I gotta get back to work, but I will endeavor to work fast and get back as soon as I can
You really think that work is more important than movies? I can't believe you, man.

#9:

And Then There Were None (2015, Craig Viveiros)

Nominated By: Siddon

Ballot Rankings: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 8th, 9th, 9th, 11th, 11th, 11th

Total Points: 49