26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Apologies then, I was under the impression that everyone has to write a review for each film. sean should be fine then.
It usually is a stated rule, but up to the host of course on how to handle it.

The trick is not minding
And Then There Were None

Imagine my surprise with this mini series, ,having mixed it up with some war film and finding out it’s a mystery film. That would be the first of my surprises.

The first is how much I enjoyed it. It’s wonderfully acted, and the suspense is kept to Boiling point, threatening to overflow but never overplaying its hand. It keeps us guessing the entire time, and leaves us wondering which of them is committing the murders. At 3 hour episodes, it actually breezed by quicker then most movies.

I wouldn’t want mini series to be picked for these, however, as I don’t view them as the same as movies. Although I do acknowledge that there have been some great ones over the years. Lonesome Dove for example. But the HOF is meant for movies. That was always my impression, anyways. Regardless, I don’t regret having to watch this.

And Then There Were None (2015)

Adapting literative works is often times difficult, some works get multiple adaptations and inspirations before the right one is made. It's ironic because Agatha Christie felt this was her best constructed story...she wanted to kill 10 people without it being ridiculous or the murderer obvious so we got this.

In film versions the cast of actors tend to have heroes, Vera and Lombard tend to be played as protagonists and we get the happy ending often. The killer tends to be fairly obvious because time and energy isn't put in developing all ten characters. By running almost three hours we get to know the people who are on the Island and the justification for their murders.

The mini-series is shot with a basic contrast...the Island is home is dark and dreamlike a purgatory of sorts it's vast and empty almost like a waiting room for death. But the filmmaker makes sure to switch up the contrast with flashbacks...we get Africa, Prison cellars, gallows, court houses, beaches etc and all are bright and vibrant and full of life...as opposed to the Island which is just death.

Part of what I like about these murderers is that you can see how they were all able to get away with their crimes thanks to their position in society. The variety in which the original crimes were unfolded was particularly enjoyable to me. You have almost a seven deadly sin aspect to the characters...
  • Marston - Sloth - a playboy who failed to take responsibility for learning to drive kills two children.
  • Mrs. Brent - Pride - a spinster who feels like her maid is beneath her so she takes away her livelihood and leads to her suicide.
  • McArthur - Envy - sent out his wife's lover to die in the field of battle during WWI
  • Vera - Lust - A woman who wants a husband but realizes she can't have him unless her war dies
  • Armstrong - Gluttony - a man who's love of drink caused a patient to die in his care.
  • William Blore - Wrath - a policeman who abuses his power and kills a relatively minor offender
  • The Rodgers - Greed - A pair of servants who couldn't wait for their mistress to die to inherent whatever money she was going to give them.
Which leaves us with our hero and villain...of course the hero ends up dying which is a nice twist because the hero isn't much of one. You could even make the case that Mr Owen was the hero of the story as he did away with a group of terrible people.

I'm sorry that some of you didn't enjoy this...I love mysteries and this is one of my favorites a story that is long and yet it flies by.

I'm sorry that some of you didn't enjoy this...I love mysteries and this is one of my favorites a story that is long and yet it flies by.
For what it's worth, I enjoyed it quite a bit and found it to be a unique entry for this Hall, given it's a mini series. Thanks for nominating it

All the ballots have been submitted and all the points have been tallied up. I'll post the results tomorrow (I'm finishing up my last final exam of the semester today, so I'll be a bit busy this evening). Overall, this was a fun HoF to host. Thanks to everyone for joining it

Probably about the same time to remove the one from yours.
Yes because it wasn't like I was waiting for you to finish my nomination before posting the review of my nomination.

The trick is not minding
Yes because it wasn't like I was waiting for you to finish my nomination before posting the review of my nomination.

Not sure why you couldn’t just post yours before me.
In fact, there is zero reason why you couldn’t have. Zip. Zilch