The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Finished Werckmeister. This is coming from a guy who loved Satantango: Werckmeister went on too long in some instances. Satantango made a point of feeling very post-apocalyptic, so when I compare this average town setting to Satantango, it can't help but feel weaker. Having said that, philosophically it checks a lot of boxes. The characters and their relation to the crazy world around them kept this bleak approach to life alive.

Now onto The Devil's Rejects. After that I'll have seen 6/10 revealed films.

I think I mostly hated Hedwig.
My first forum was a place that was pretty quick to throw the homophobe tag around for little comments like "I hated this movie" when there happened to be prominent homosexuality. After seeing this post, I thank sweet merciful God no other forum I've been to acts that cruelly and unreasonably.

Looking at the imagery of the film, I imagine it would be a really bombastic and hyperactive film which in general may not be up someone's ally. In my case, I love musicals, but I rarely watch LGBT films, so I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. But I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, but that might've been more for the classic rock.

Trivia

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Did you know that...
  • the film was initially set to be an American production (Universal) starring Johnny Depp? Depp even recommended Schnabel as a director. Eventually, Universal withdrew and Pathé picked up the project, switching production to France, while Depp bowed down to work on Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.
  • Schnabel insisted in making the film in French in order to be closer to Bauby's experience, and he even learned French himself to help in the process?
  • the film was shot in the same hospital where the lead character was treated because Schnabel wanted to familiarize himself with Bauby's life?

Trivia

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Did you know that...
  • most of the lead vocals were recorded "live" as the scenes were shot, to capture the intensity of a live performance?
  • Director, writer, and star John Cameron Mitchell said that Michael Pitt was somewhat uncomfortable with their prolonged kissing scene, complaining about being scratched by Mitchell's stubble?
  • Mitchell frequently had to shave his "five-o-clock shadow" towards the afternoon, without taking his makeup?
  • Mitchell has also said that Pitt ate onion and garlic directly before shooting the kiss scene?

I forgot the opening line.
92. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly : I was rather surprised when this didn't show up during the foreign language film countdown. I've always enjoyed it, and I didn't have to rewatch it for this countdown because I'd already seen it again recently. A very real account of someone trapped in their own body, unable to move even though their mind is working absolutely fine. The man was Jean-Dominique Bauby and was the editor of a French fashion magazine - and wouldn't you know it, someone who enjoyed life to the full. For someone who loves and lives for women, fast cars and excess to be trapped and hardly able to communicate brings pain beyond imagining, and the film does a great job of claustrophobically placing us behind his one good eye - hearing his thoughts as if they're our own. The struggle to communicate begins with a lengthy quest to define even one letter of the alphabet. This film always comes up as a contender, whether it be for this countdown or the foreign language one, but it always just gets squeezed out.

91. Hedwig and the Angry Inch : Thought this would show up, as it had in the Millennium countdown. It looks like my kind of movie, and when I eventually do see it there might be many viewings for me if the songs really click. I really need to put the world on pause for 5 years while I catch up with all the films on my watchlists.

I've seen 4/10 films so far. That ratio will improve as we get deeper in.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Tomorrow's hint...

She's expecting
Not thanks to sky and thunder
He's expecting
To join this musical wonder

JU. NO. Easily.

I'll think about my second choice. For now, I'm guessing Moulin Rouge again.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly in one of the first movie tournaments that I participated in when I joined MoFo. I didn't rewatch it for this countdown, but I remember that the movie was good, but it was also a difficult movie to watch.

I watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch for this countdown because Miss Vicky has mentioned it many times as a favorite movie. To be honest, I expected to hate the movie, but I thought it deserved for me to give it a chance anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked the movie much more than I thought I would. It didn't make my list, but I'm glad that I watched it.

Well, Devil's Rejects was a bit more of the same and still not scary. But the story and the acting were way better. 62. No way it would get close to my ballot.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Despite my review for The Devil's Rejects being positive. It did not make my list.

Suspect's Reviews

Haven't seen Hedwig yet, but it did inspire this cool Type O Negative song, so I owe it that at least:

Have heard of both but haven't had the opportunity to see either. So far, nothing I voted for has made the list but I'm hopeful.

I think the hints are too easy and should not be posted. There. I said it. Might just be me I don't know.

Other than that great job so far Thief. You have added a lot to the countdown and I like it a lot. But I just see the hints as a subtraction.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

73 points, 6 lists
Almost Famous
Director

Cameron Crowe, 2000

Starring

Patrick Fugit, Billy Crudup, Kate Hudson, Frances McDormand

74 points, 6 lists
Juno
Director

Jason Reitman, 2007

Starring

Elliot Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman