26th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Not Quite Hollywood : The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! - 2008

Written & Directed by Mark Hartley

Featuring Quentin Tarantino, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dennis Hopper
Jackie Weaver, Jack Thompson and Barry Humphries

Not Quite Hollywood opened doors that had heretofore been shut, even to Australian audiences who had lived through the explosion that was the Australian New Wave of cinema during the 1970s and 1980s. It was a hidden treasure just waiting to be discovered - although there was on the surface a reluctance to acknowledge the more base levels of Australian film, there is a uniqueness here that strikes people who come across these movies. Quentin Tarantino was influenced a great deal by them - but they were loathed by Australian critics who felt especially image-conscious, and as such they were buried at home and rarely seen overseas thereafter. In 2003 Tarantino caused something of a sensation in Australia when he premiered Kill Bill Vol. 1 and at the screening dedicated it to Brian Trenchard-Smith in front of critics and filmmakers who had fervently wished that Trenchard-Smith had never decided to carve out a career directing Australian exploitation cinema. For his part, Tarantino considered those at the screening 'snobs' - but attitudes began to change when this documentary hit the big screen and film fans began to rediscover a forgotten era of movie history.

Mark Hartley spent a number of years researching this subject - something akin to cutting a trail through virgin jungle in the Amazon. It was a subject virtually unresearched - it's foremost expert Quentin Tarantino himself. There were no books published on this subject. When Hartley sent Tarantino his rough draft for the film he expected no reply - but instead the reply was instant. From that moment on Tarantino did everything in his power to help the project go forward - including sitting for hours of interviews regarding the films and his personal history with them. His help didn't end there. There were some cases where the negatives of the films involved didn't exist or couldn't be found - and Hartley discovered that Tarantino himself had hunted them down in the past and owned them personally. With this auspicious start, Hartley spent the next five years putting together the documentary Not Quite Hollywood : The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!

This documentary's advantage is the fact that it is one of the most entertaining 100-plus minute films you can encounter - with the added effect of arousing your curiosity enough to set film lovers into action hunting down these films and watching them. Examining film after film, it could be excused for becoming tedious or tiresome - but Hartley has expertly and wisely cut down his film into a digestible size. He had over 250 hours of interviews and film footage to wrestle with - and had a film of over three hours in length when he had cut everything but it's most essential elements. I applaud him for delivering a film that runs under 2 hours in the end - and not leaving us exhausted and perhaps fed up. Special mention should also go to editors Jamie Blanks, Sara Edwards and Mark Hartley. On it's DVD release, another 100 minutes of cut footage entertains no less - but an important lesson to learn is that some things, no matter how lively and wonderful they are, must be left on the cutting room floor. The rest is left to us to explore - and Hartley has faith in us to do that.

The film is divided into three sections, with an introduction that gives us the background of what state the Australian film industry was in the decades leading up to the 1970s - which was that it was virtually nonexistent. Here Hartley has had some luck inasmuch as the explosion of genre filmmaking in Australia did go through three distinct phases, the first coming during the 'free love' era and consisting of sexual exploits and nudity, the second being more horror based and the third honing in on action and stunts. The titles of these sections are appropriately bawdy and irreverent : Ockers, Knockers, Pubes and Tubes - Comatose Killers and Outback Chillers - High Octane Disasters and Kung Fu Masters. The tone and content are laid back and rude in keeping with the films, but behind it all is some serious research, skill and delivery only seen in the best of documentaries. There are an extensive number of films examined in an attractive way that actually gives most viewers a great urge to search them out and see them. Writers, directors, crew and actors all appear to have fond memories of the era - and to have had a great time.

Co-existing with the exploitation genre were the serious Australian New Wave films, which deserve a mention. Some, like Wake in Fright, Breaker Morant and Picnic at Hanging Rock do get that mention - but only in service to the genre films being examined - although Wake in Fright did initially have much greater coverage in the documentary. It's a little-seen great film, and described by Jack Thompson as showing a true-to-life depiction of Australian culture that most Australians did not want people overseas to witness. Many of the exploitation films, as mentioned by Tarantino, were not promoted as being Australian. Some, such as Dead Kids (otherwise known as Strange Behavior) were set in the United States and utilized U.S. actors nearly exclusively. Others, like Road Games featured U.S. stars such as Jamie Lee Curtis, and Stacy Keach. Mad Dog Morgan featured Dennis Hopper in the title role. Importantly, Hartley manages to interview Jamie Lee Curtis, Dennis Hopper and Keach for this film - giving it a comprehensive profile and getting serious star power behind it.

For those old enough to remember drive-ins, there is some nostalgia delivered pre-credits and during the film. There's some sadness that the era came to an end, but the advent of the video era gave many of these films an exposure they wouldn't have had otherwise. There is also prominent mention of the fetishistic love Australian men have for cars, and the role they played in many exploitation films. Most issues like this are well-balanced and not stretched to the point where we begin to lose interest. The film's music also keep us charged up and includes Angry Anderson belting out Rose Tattoo's 'We Can't Be Beaten', The Angels with 'Shadow Boxer', 'Living in the 70s' from Skyhooks and The Easybeats with 'I'll Make You Happy'. Some great animation - a real staple of the film - is provided by the film's animation department. Such is the editing, there is no need for any narration - the story flows smoothly and coherently from beginning to end.

Being film fans, my friends and I were surprised by Not Quite Hollywood when we saw it at an arthouse cinema - and so were film fans in general. It led to a mass release of films which up until that moment were largely forgotten. Many I recognized from the days when video revolutionized the film-watching experience, and many I had until then not heard about. Some I never knew were Australian - such as the very strange musical The Return of Captain Invincible, where Alan Arkin plays a superhero whose secret weakness is booze and where a villain played by Christopher Lee belts out songs. I know a few friends who cleared a spot for a whole new genre in their collections. It's a documentary I'm thankful for, and one I can be always in the mood to watch. For anyone that enjoys it - I recommend the two-disc collectors version which includes hours of footage cut from the film, trailers for all of the films featured (and trailers were very different in those days,) interviews, a fantastic collection of images and film posters, Q&A sessions and various funding pitches from the film's early gestation. I'll leave this with a small section (the whole thing is too long to transcribe) of the Fantasm Comes Again press kit which is included with the release :

We will probably never see the repeat of this particular New Wave movement of films and their exploitation deluge of "boobs, pubes and kung fu".

I also recommend, to whoever enjoyed this, Mark Hartley's Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, which was released in 2014.

(I decided not to give it a rating - since it's my nomination in the Hall of Fame)
One HELLUVA review, PHOENIX74!! Loved the informed details and it got me excited to see this, even more than I was previously.

Angel-A (2005, Besson)

I was intently focused on the film for its entire time...That's high praise, as not many movies capture my imagination and keep me interested for the duration.

Angel-A is the kind of film that I find myself thinking about all the next day...and that too is a rarity for me. And you know what? I knew I'd like this film the second I seen its poster and read the synopsis. I just had a feeling...and I was right!

Gosh I loved this film, but I'm not sure if I can explain why. But I'll try...

I was intrigued by the idea that an angel is not like most of us perceive and isn't like the usual movie angel. If memory serves me angels according to the bible were very tall, very powerful and could be quite passionate, and that's how Angela appears. She towers over Andre the man who rescues her from the river. I mean she really towers over him. Even her head is like twice the size of his. It's impressive!

I liked the idea that in heaven she had no past and seemed to be at beckon call to be sent where she was required, with no will of her own. It added to her plight and made me feel compassion for her. It was telling that she was starved for human vices and smoked like a chimney, drank and was described as a 'six foot tall blonde slut.' I thought that was a cool juxtaposition to what we a movie angel usually is. But I'm sure that the idea of an angel banging guy after guy for money in a dance club's bathroom doesn't sit well with some. But I liked that too about her as it seemed to say something about the perception of sin.

I also loved the usage of black & white film, though it's actually bluish monochrome and that too gave the film an other-worldly look. I certainly warmed up to the two lead actors right away and that's always a plus. And of course I liked the film's message, If you think your shi*, you'll be treating like shi*. Words to live by.

I honestly believed that, at best, you'd be mildly amused but so-so about it. How truly wonderful that your experience is very similar to each of my revisits to it. SUHWEET!!

I do agree about the "out of the norm" approach to the idealism of Movie Angels. And like you, I remember reading about the specific class of angels (I forget their title) that interacted with us humans who were six-foot, plus, passionate, and very powerful. So, seeing Angel-A played out in that vein, AND, that Andre is not the usual kind-hearted soul in need of assistance to do something unselfish and for others. Already sets it apart for me and like you, I AM engaged from the get-go for both of them and remain so throughout.

I honestly believed that, at best, you'd be mildly amused but so-so about it. How truly wonderful that your experience is very similar to each of my revisits to it. SUHWEET!!

I do agree about the "out of the norm" approach to the idealism of Movie Angels. And like you, I remember reading about the specific class of angels (I forget their title) that interacted with us humans who were six-foot, plus, passionate, and very powerful. So, seeing Angel-A played out in that vein, AND, that Andre is not the usual kind-hearted soul in need of assistance to do something unselfish and for others. Already sets it apart for me and like you, I AM engaged from the get-go for both of them and remain so throughout.
I've loved some of your noms, and I had a hunch that this one would be one those. It's a way cool nom too. If there wasn't so many really strong movies this HoF, Angel-A might have been my #1....We'll see what happens when it's voting time

I forgot the opening line.

Cinema Paradiso - 1988

Directed by Giuseppe Tornatore

Written by Giuseppe Tornatore & Vanna Paoli

Starring Philippe Noiret, Salvatore Cascio, Marco Leonardi
Leo Gullotta & Jacques Perrin

The town of Bagheria is located on the Northern shores of Sicily, near the capital Palermo. It is the birthplace of several historically significant figures, such as artist Renato Guttuso, gangster Joe Aiello and the acclaimed director of Cinema Paradiso - Giuseppe Tornatore. Cinema Paradiso was an autobiographical film that dealt not only with Tornatore's love of the cinema, but his relationship with Sicily and the way he sees his homeland and it's people. During the film, father-figure Alfredo (Philippe Noiret) has this to say to the film's young protagonist Salvatore (Marco Leonardi); "Living here day by day, you think it's the center of the world. You believe nothing will ever change. Then you leave: a year, two years. When you come back, everything's changed. The thread's broken. What you came to find isn't there. What was yours is gone. You have to go away for a long time... many years... before you can come back and find your people. The land where you were born." It was this quote that most directly articulated what Tornatore's feeling was towards what he had experienced leaving Bagheria, becoming a successful filmmaker and returning. He could finally see his people - and they populate the fictional town of Giancaldo in his film.

When I was a small boy a new cinema was built in the heart of the city - called, appropriately enough, 'Cinema City'. It was a large glass structure, made from massive panes arranged together to form a kind of translucent Rubik's Cube. I remember it opening when I was little - and I remember the ceiling of mirrors it had, all at different angles making visions that cascaded into infinity like a brilliant kaleidoscope. I remember seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark there - a seminal moment of my childhood. I remember my older brother and his girlfriend accompanying me to see Back to the Future and Teen Wolf. Going with friends and experiencing a full theatre laughing during The Naked Gun with thunderous applause from the full house when it ended. Eddie Murphy's Coming to America. I remember that as the years went by they'd employ less people, and the carpet became dirty as the whole place grew unkempt and dilapidated. I remember the crowds diminishing. I remember the time, not so long ago, when they demolished the whole place. It exist now only in my memory, and I'm surprised that such an important place to me could just simply vanish into a bygone era. Cinema City was a place of magic and happiness that no longer exists - and as such I can feel the nostalgia that Cinema Paradiso aims to foster in people. That of Giuseppe Tornatore's cinema in Bagheria, where at one time the gates broke and fell as a crowd of people desperately tried to gain entrance to see The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A special place for him, and his town.

These two threads, Tornatore's Sicily and his love affair with the cinema, combine in a sweetly sad nostalgic way in Cinema Paradiso. Through it he weaves the history of film itself - experienced by a young 'Toto' Salvatore and his father-figure projectionist Alfredo. Toto's father was sent to the Russian front during the Second World War never to return, and the cinema, with Alfredo, takes his place. The intelligent young boy is fascinated by movies and the business of projecting films onto the screen - so much so he eagerly watches Alfredo in his projectionist's booth and becomes adept with the equipment himself. Toto's entire town has a relationship with the local cinema, the 'Cinema Paradiso', and as such we learn about the town's people - the town square becoming a character in the film. In this cinema all the elements of life combine as we witness courtships, couples having sex, class distinctions, puberty and death. The theatrical cut of the film is separated into two sections - that of Toto's boyhood, where early cinema was fast-paced and sprinkled with gags, and that of Toto's adolescence, where cinema entered a more romanticized period where sex was thrust to the forefront with actresses such as Brigitte Bardot. An older Salvatore bookends the film - Alfredo's death becoming the impetus for him to return to his home town, now a successful director in his own right. It also marks the death of the 'Nuovo Cinema Paradiso' - raised from the ashes once, but soon to be erased from the landscape forever.

The film's sad nostalgia is aided by a score that elevates Cinema Paradiso a great deal, from the legendary Ennio Morricone - perhaps my favourite film composer. He will be sorely missed. Sad violins and other strings swell to either uplift us or bring a tear to our eye, and this really is an element which makes the film as good as it is. Sound is also cleverly used to attach scenes and shots together - for example when the wind chime matches the noises at church when the old Salvatore thinks back to his childhood altar-boy days, or when the censorious priest rings his bell signaling another kiss is to be edited out of the film he's checking and this bell mingles with the church bell to advance the story and take us forward. This use of sound could only be achieved with the film's editors and sound technicians working in close consultation with director Tornatore. Helping with the film's score was Ennio Morricone's son Andrea Morricone and the duo won a much-deserved BAFTA in 1991 for it. The film, overall won five BAFTAs, being nominated for eleven. It also won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1990.

French actor Philippe Noiret gives us a performance which elevates the film nearly as much as the musical score. He's given great latitude, and his scene where he sits for his school-equivalency exam, desperately cheating with the aid of a reluctant Toto, is especially enjoyable. In fact, all of his interactions with little Salvatore Cascio are adorable. Popular Italian actor Leo Gullotta provides more warmth and humour as the cinema's usher and Jacques Perrin is fine as the older Salvatore - he nails the film's pivotal final scene which needed a large amount genuine emotion to be conveyed properly. None of the characters, aside from a few very small ones, make as much of an impact as these do. Tornatore himself appears in a cameo as the film projectionist at the end of the film - the one who plays Alfredo's gift to Salvatore to an emotional Perrin. He originally wanted Fellini for this cameo, but Fellini correctly pointed out that his appearance would only distract the audience and suggested Tornatore do it himself, as the young director was yet to be famous enough to be easily recognized. I was slightly less enamored by Marco Leonardi, who plays the teenage Salvatore and his love interest played by Agnese Nano.

Film lovers will delight in spotting the various films that show at the Cinema Paradiso and Nuovo Cinema Paradiso. A trailer for Stagecoach is an early easily-recognizable moment as it's shown at the cinema. The excellent In the Name of the Law is the first film young Toto projects to an audience. I pompieri di Viggiù (The Firemen of of Viggiù) is a film shown that precedes an actual fire, and includes popular Italian actor Totò which is doubly fitting. Chains is a 1949 film which reduces everyone in the cinema to tears - it was particularly popular in Italy, and Ulysses gets an outdoor showing as the cinema expands to include films beneath the stars, both literally and figuratively. Charles Chaplin makes an appearance in City Lights. Here and there, Tornatore's idol Federico Fellini makes his presence felt. Fellini's influence is woven through the entire film - the local town crazy, who thinks he owns the village square, is an homage to him. He was definitely the most important influence to the director and his film.

Cinema Paradiso was shot on location in Tornatore's home of Bagheria and features some striking arid landscapes mixed with old architecture. At one stage we get a close look at one of the beautifully painted and decorated carts this part of the world is renowned for. Apart from it's moving human story, it's also a techno-story about the history of film medium, post-war cultural problems in Sicily and Italy and neo-realism in Italian filmmaking of the period. Successful, both critically and financially, the film had a difficult beginning - running at over 170 minutes, the film was panned by critics and ignored by the public. Tornatore, in an attempt to save it, cut most of the films third section from the story. This includes some closure to the romance that occurs in the second section of the film. It has been re-released, for those who are curious enough to see the film in it's original incarnation. It's a version I dislike, as I think it creates too much distance from the central Cinema Paradiso of the title - and mutes the emotion delivered from Alfredo to Salvatore in the final scene. I much prefer the cut that was delivered to theaters internationally, and it's this cut I'm rating. A fine, emotionally moving film that explores many things - but especially Tornatore's love for the cinema and how much cinematic experiences can transcend reality and bond people together. That the world has moved on from the magic of the cinema is certainly a very sad thing - but to have lived through that era is reason enough to celebrate.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've loved some of your noms, and I had a hunch that this one would be one those. It's a way cool nom too. If there wasn't so many really strong movies this HoF, Angel-A might have been my #1....We'll see what happens when it's voting time
I know what you mean, quite the solid regime (par usual) for this HoF to experience and enjoy.
And thank you!

I don't think I need to rewatch Cinema Paradiso, this is my review of it.

Cinema Paradiso (1988)

When Cinema Paradiso was over and the credits rolled...I was sure I hated it due to the over abundance of quirky cuteness and oodles of nostalgia...But then a funny thing happened, I put those images of the grinning boy and quaint Italian village aside and I started to think about the underlying theme of the movie.

Some might describe this as uplifting and get misty eyed from the heartwarming tale of a boy who loves the magic of movies and grows up to be a successful director...and that's what the film shows you...but it's not what it's truly about. Those happy coming of age aspects hide the devastating truth from plain sight of the audience, and in that truth lays the films greatness.

'when dreams become more important than reality'

The film projectionist warns the boy that the life of film is no life at all, and that he will become isolated from the world as he watches movies 100s of times over. But the boy falls under the spell of film and escapes into a world of movie fantasies and that's what we see...the older director looking back at his boyhood and seeing the town and it's people as if they were characters in a film, set in his mind's eye.

The boy loses himself into a world of movies and by that ruins his own life as an adult. Cinema Paradiso warns us not to live inside a dream, and that the illusion of cinema is so strong that one can live the lie of fantasy, instead of living a life.

Cinema Paradiso is the coming of age story of Salvatore and his relationship with Alfredo the owner and projectionist of a Movie House named Cinema Paradiso. The film takes the familiar three act structure of portraying Salvatore as a child, teenager, and adult. The adult portion is used for exposition, the teenage part for conflict and the child part for the world building.

Like most films from this era it has a very simple and strong message that I'm not sure I agree with and that's what hurts the film in my eyes...to a point. The film isn't just about a love of movies but also the role of a father and family in each person's lives. Salvatore has been orphaned by the war while Alfredo is a confirmed bachelor. Alfredo leads a somewhat sexless life while Salvatore grows into a person that just has meaningless relationship after meaningless relationship. What is this film telling us about love. The conflict in the first part is the teenage Salvatore falling in love with a girl and then going off to serve and losing touch with her. Is their is a strong sense of cynicism to go with the nostalgia, at one point Alfredo loses his sight in a fire and his love of film is basically taken away from him.

Unfortunately when you have a film where the artist is trying to tell you something other things fall by the wayside. I'm not really sure if any of the performances where strong or if they even mattered because the messaging overwhelms the film. Is this a film or is this a philosophy lecture and how does one properly rate a film like this.

Yeah I don't think I need to rewatch it either

The trick is not minding
All the Presidents Men

The 70’s were a time of paranoia, and fear. Serial killers, Vietnam, corruption, riots. As such, films tend to be influenced by the times. Often, they found inspiration from actual events.
This is, perhaps, among the finest examples.

We all know of Watergate. This films start there, and slowly builds the suspense as it becomes apparent there were some shenanigans going on in the White House. It’s how it’s revealed, slowly, and layer by layer, that’s so exciting.

At the center of it all, are two reporters, initially rivals, forced to work together. Woodward (Redford) and Bernstein (Hoffman). Both were from different backgrounds, and there is a key exchange between them where Bernstein keeps taking Woodward’s reports and “polishing them up”. After a little back and forth, Woodward agrees the polish was better, but also let’s him know he overstepped his bounds.
“For the record, it isn’t what you did, but how you did it.”

Along the way, we meet many interesting characters, all finely cast: Hal Holbrook as the mysterious “Deep Throat”, Jason Robards as Ben Bradlee are the standouts here. (Robards would win an Oscar for his supporting performance here. Criminally, this film would lose out Rocky for Best Pic. A time when we also had Tax Driver and Network. Perhaps the academy recognized how dark things had gotten during this period, and needed to give the audience the crowd pleaser. But I digress…..

It is among the best reporting procedures I’ve ever seen. Maybe even the best. And it seemingly get better with each viewing. A perfect movie.

I forgot the opening line.
Salvatore has been orphaned by the war while Alfredo is a confirmed bachelor. Alfredo leads a somewhat sexless life while Salvatore grows into a person that just has meaningless relationship after meaningless relationship.
A strange thing about this film is that Alfredo actually has two wives during the course of all the events - but we rarely meet them and they're barely talked about. It definitely makes it seem that Alfredo is a bachelor. Film critic Millicent Marcus posits that Alfredo is sterile, thus the fact he's had no children. None of this refutes the overall point you're making with your review though.

Sweet Smell Of Success: My third time with this gem. The lead performance by Curtis with Lancaster's towering supporting role take center stage. However, for me, what makes this movie so great is the script. The dialogue is so biting. What struck me this time is that the biting dialogue gives importance and weight to what really is a no stakes plot. I love that about this movie. I am totally invested in the games and whims of two men who have no importance in the grand scheme of things. That's what makes the character of Steve so great. He is used sparingly despite being the only player that makes any sense. The scene at the television set is tremendous. Really great film.

Sweet Smell Of Success: My third time with this gem. The lead performance by Curtis with Lancaster's towering supporting role take center stage. However, for me, what makes this movie so great is the script. The dialogue is so biting. What struck me this time is that the biting dialogue gives importance and weight to what really is a no stakes plot. I love that about this movie. I am totally invested in the games and whims of two men who have no importance in the grand scheme of things. That's what makes the character of Steve so great. He is used sparingly despite being the only player that makes any sense. The scene at the television set is tremendous. Really great film.
My nom and I've been wanting to nominate it for such a long time, ever since I first joined HoFs.

I of course agree with you whole heartily about the script especially the written dialogue. Awhile ago I was watching an obscure 1940s noir that I had never heard of and the dialogue that the actors spoke wasn't the usually 40s hard boiled catch-phrase stuff, but was prophetical prose spoken from the street-level. So I looked up who had written Deadline at Dawn (1946) and seen it was Clifford Odets who also scripted Sweet Smell of Success.

I like to commit on the rest of your review, but I need to rewatch this first as it's been a long time. But I'll keep what you wrote in my mind as I watch it.

I will keep Deadline At Dawn in mind, although it’s not available on my services at the moment. I used to have a Noir watchlist, but apparently I deleted it. Need to make another.

I think my first watch of SSOS was for a HOF. Might have been Firghtened Inmate who nominated it.

I will keep Deadline At Dawn in mind, although it’s not available on my services at the moment. I used to have a Noir watchlist, but apparently I deleted it. Need to make another.

I think my first watch of SSOS was for a HOF. Might have been Firghtened Inmate who nominated it.
I only came across Deadline at Dawn as I was watching Susan Hayward's filmography. Not a 5 star film, I'd give it a 3.5 to 4 and mostly for the details and dialogue...I'm guessing most would rate it a 3 or 3.5