The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Children of Paradise is one of my favorite movies of the 40s. It's about art inspired by reality and deeds inspired by art, and how theatre and life intertwine. Mark's remark that at times the film is too prolix may very well be true, but Baptiste's make-up face's sad look expresses more than words, proving that cinema can develop its own ways of talking about feelings.

Memories of Murder is very socially and even nationally engaged, presenting a multitude of topics, from the ineptitude and brutality of the police to the duel of intuition and rationalism. I need to rewatch it. It'd be so interesting to experience that ending again knowing the killer was recently identified after more than 30 years. Oh, and don't worry, @mark f, you're fine. This is not a neo-noir. These guys are nuts!!!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Memories of Murder is very good but the humor puts me off a little.

Children of Paradise is one of the best movies I've seen.

8. Children of Paradise (#58)
9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)

Memories of Murder is playing on Hulu.
Yep. Actually most of his films are, with the exception of Snowpiercer and Okja, both of which are on Netflix. I still haven't seen Okja, but I would strongly recommend all of the others, and I'm sure a few more will pop up here in this countdown.

Two more I haven't seen. If I'd managed to get out of my funk and properly prepare for this countdown, Memories of Murder probably would've been on my watchlist and I may check it out still. Children of Paradise looks interesting, but I struggle to engage with a lot of films from that era so I don't know if I'll ever actually watch it.

We're getting close to the halfway point in the list and I've only seen 13 of the films so far (14 if you count Porco Rosso). I really ought to get better acquainted with foreign cinema.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've only seen one of the last four movies posted.

I watched A Man Escaped for this countdown. It's a very good movie, but it felt more like I was watching a documentary about how to break out of prison than a movie about it. I liked the movie, but it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen the other three movies posted. War and Peace is such a long movie that I'll probably never get around to watching it, but Children of Paradise and Memories of Murder both sound like interesting movies. I might decide to watch these movies at some point.

The Wages of Fear is a very intense and suspenseful film. I remember being very busy the day I watched it, on top of that, while watching, it was very noisy in my house. Despite all these ‘distractions’ Clouzot managed to grab/hold my attention and focus the entire runtime. I saw it for the first time this year, so it might have profited from some ‘recency bias’ on my part. Had it on my ballot at #22. (Sorcerer is a great re-make, equally intense and suspenseful but in color and with an outstanding score.)

Bondarchuk's War and Peace is a truly dazzling piece of cinema with incredible technique
it's hard to deny how much of a thunderous epic it truly is.
War and Peace is a gargantuan spectacle. So epic, wide-scope but at the same time full of detail that nothing has yet topped it even though it's been more than 50 years since its release.
These ^ quotes accurately describe my thoughts about Russia’s national epic War and Peace.
It’s probably the largest scale war drama epic masterpiece I’ve ever seen. Had it on my ballot at #5.

Movies Seen: 22/44

My Ballot: 5/25

25. Mongol (1-pointer)
22. The Wages of Fear (#67)
21. Fireworks (#78)
7. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
5. War and Peace (#59)

I forgot the opening line.
One from my list! My #21 was Memories of Murder - a seemingly impossible blend of humour and the hunt for a serial killer that is nonetheless poignant and hilarious in all the right places. Just watched it again recently, and if anything it went up in my appraisal of it. It won't be Bong Joon Ho's last entry in this countdown. Come on South Korea! Aside from my one pointer (Audition) this is the first film from my list to show up.

Children of Paradise has been on my watch-list for a long long time now. Won't be long before I see that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 11
Films that have been on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard of : 26
Films I've heard of : 4

Films from my list : 2

#57 - My #21 - Memories of Murder - (2003) - South Korea
One pointer - My #25 - Audition - (1999) - Japan

Memories of Murder is great, and Bong's best film in my opinion.
WARNING: "Memories of Murder" spoilers below
The fact that the real killer admitted that he had watched the film several times, makes the ending more chilling.

Not seen Children of Paradise.

I think I've had 2 of the films so far on my ballot.

The only other list I was around for was the all-time top 100 last year, but looking at the other lists this forum has done, I think this one is my favorite as well.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Children of Paradise was my #24. A really excellent film.

Memories of Murder is good, but suffers from the things that stop most Bong Joon-ho films being great for me - it's too long and tonally weird with an uneasy balance of excessive violence and odd humour.

92 points, 7 lists
56. The Battle of Algiers

Director

Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966

Starring

Brahim Hadjadj, Jean Martin, Yacef Saadi, Samia Kerbash

99 points, 7 lists
55. Z

Director

Costa-Gavras, 1969

Starring

Yves Montand, Irene Papas, Jean-Louis Trintignant, Jacques Perrin

I had The Battle of Algiers at #14.

6. Chungking Express (1994)
13. Sonatine (1993)
14. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
15. The Mirror (1975)
17. Red Desert (1964)
21. Caché (2005)
25. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2004)

Also, yes this is a great countdown, one of the best, but the 90s list had it all: action, drama, comedy, romance! Plus all the movies.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Happy enough to see The Battle Of Algiers show even if it didn't quite make my personal ballot and has meant me finding a replacement faildiction for this next set. Have never seen Z.

Seen: 32/46 (Own: 21/46)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
54. Playtime (1967)
53. Dung che sai duk [Ashes Of Time] (1994)

Both of these were movies I enjoyed. I’m pretty well a pushover for political stuff. I don’t remember a whole lot about either so they will definitely get a rewatch at some point.

Both were 3.5 from me, I believe, so even if I had seen them recently I don’t think they would have cracked my list.

The Battle of Algiers was #16 on my ballot. Character development is almost non-existent in the film, but this is sacrificed in service of presenting the events in the film on a larger scale and illustrating how widespread the conflict is. The scope of the film wouldn't have been as expansive as it was if Pontecorvo presented more intimacy amongst the characters. In addition to this, with the chaotic nature of some of the terrorist bombings, it often feels like we're watching a documentary and, at times, I found it hard to believe that I wasn't watching real-life footage, especially with the final sequence. Finally, numerous people are caught in the crossfire between the terrorist organization and the government, but fortunately, Morricone's soundtrack provides objectivity to the film and helps the viewer to recognize this brutality, like in this scene:

Overall, it's a masterpiece.

I've also seen Z. Though my memory of it isn't the best, I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I liked how it presented a similarly wide scope by showing the conflict from the perspective of multiple people. With that being said though, a different thriller whose title is only one letter long made my ballot instead

Updated ballot:

16. The Battle of Algiers (1966, Pontecorvo) #56
19. The Mirror (1975, Tarkovsky) #86
21. Red Desert (1964, Antonioni) #64
23. Vampyr (1932, Dreyer) #84

Reply to Topic