The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Don't. Not a Happy Place for you gbg. I prefer happy gbg.
Thanks for the info. I'll avoid watching The Virgin Spring.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I had seen Night and Fog a while back, and I rewatched it for this countdown. It's a very powerful short film, but it's very depressing to watch, so it didn't make my list.

I've never heard of Red Desert.

I watched The Hunt for this countdown because I remembered that it got very good reviews when it was in a HoF. It's a very good movie, and it's kind of scary to watch, (not horror movie type of scary, but reality scary), because it feels like something that could easily happen to someone in real life. I considered including it on my list, but ultimately it didn't make the final cuts.

I haven't seen Incendies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Two recent films I don't have much to say about.

The Hunt is great but I'd take Festen over it anytime.

I didn't like Incendies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Fitzcarraldo is possibly the most impressive feat of filmmaking I've witnessed. Art mirroring reality, Herzog accomplishing the impossible. A cinematic paragon of insane ambition and dogged determination, both behind and in front of the camera. If people aren't dying during the production of your movie, are you even really trying? Number one on my ballot.

Samurai Rebellion was my #6. Graceful cinematography, compelling story, commanding performances. Feudal era or not, the themes remain universal. Escalating tension, mounting emotion. For a samurai film, there's very little swordplay, but the action is mesmerizing and edge-of-your-seat intense once it finally arrives. The ending floors me every time. I'm in the minority who thinks it's superior to Harakiri.

Knife in the Water is a technical masterpiece and one of the best debut features of all-time. Despite the majority of the film revolving around three people on a small sailboat, the camerawork is as fluid and vibrant as the bobbing water that surrounds the characters. This is a film of things unspoken, things implied, where motivations are more important than actions. Mesmerizing and ominous, full of sexual tension and ambiguity. Tenth on my ballot.

The Wages of Fear would've been been much higher on my ballot a decade ago, but with every re-watch the first hour seems slower than before and the ending increasingly goofy. I can't fault the movie too much, however, when it still provides some of the sweatiest, grittiest, most sphincter-tightening sequences ever filmed. My #19.

Rififi was my #22. Feels darker and more cynical than most noir I've seen. This is noir with dirt under its fingernails and deep crevices beneath its fedora. Grizzled, stoic, with a heavy heaping of gravitas. Also features arguably the most riveting heist sequence of all-time.

My List So Far:
#1) Fitzcarraldo
#6) Samurai Rebellion
#10) Knife in the Water
#19) The Wages of Fear
#22) Rififi
#25) JCVD (one-pointer)

Welcome to the human race...
The Hunt is the first film on the list that I didn't really care for. Just came across as a monotonous exercise in abject misery more than anything else. Incendies is pretty good, but it didn't make my list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks for the info. I'll avoid watching The Virgin Spring.
If you haven't already, I think Wild Strawberries might work quite nicely for you when it comes to Bergman. For a film about an elderly professor dealing with" the emptiness of his existence," it's quite a beautiful movie that I was quite endeared to.

***EDIT***
looking over your list, I see that you already have lol

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Seen: 1
Heard of: 8
My list: 1
My posts here: 5

No real update here, just never heard of the last ten. Knew this was my weakest genre, but dear God, this is hopeless.
Just look at it as a Sea of Possibilities and enjoy

Incendies and The Hunt are two films that I've been meaning to see but for some reason or another, just haven't found the time to watch.

89 points, 6 lists
60. A Man Escaped

Director

Robert Bresson, 1956

Starring

Francois Leterrier, Charles Le Clainche, Maurice Beerblock, Roland Monod

91 points, 5 lists
59. War and Peace

Director

Sergey Bondarchuk, 1966

Starring

Sergey Bondarchuk, Ludmila Savelyeva, Vyacheslav Tikhonov, Oleg Efremov

Just watched Man Escaped. Liked it well enough but Bresson seems to be a little dry for me at this point.

Just caught up with my list viewing and you guys drop a six hour movie on me. That’s alright, need to see it eventually and the length was probably the thing keeping me from starting it.

I haven't seen either of today's entries.

Looking at Thursday's hint, it's highly unlikely that anything from my list will show tomorrow - although it's possible that a favorite movie of mine that I did not vote for may show.

Saw A Man Escaped last year and I respected it a lot, liked it well enough, but wasn't captivated by it. Therefore, it didn't make my list.

Haven't seen War and Peace

My Summary:

Seen: 12/42
My list: 2/25

My List  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Saw Man Escaped recently. Didn't care for it.

I have seen War and Peace. It was a very well constructed movie but nowhere near making it for me.

Reply to Topic