The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen The Virgin Spring once and liked it, though I don't feel too strongly about it. Think it could use a rewatch.

Nausicaa is top 5 Miyazaki (and probably top 5 Ghibli) for me.

Virgin Spring was remade by Wes Craven as The Last House on the Left. Further remakes are not worth mentioning.
Interesting. I had no idea what Virgin Spring was about.

I've always had a special place in my heart for The Virgin Spring. As such I have it at #4 on my list.

I saw it in the early '60s, and it's sincerity and reality impressed and moved me. To me a layer of mystery and favor was added to the film, being foreign. I'd never seen anything quite like it. I was seeing a number of art house films in those days, memorably This Sporting Life, and Shoot the Piano Player.

The feel of The Virgin Spring and its story stayed with me for several years afterwards. Max von Sydow was just starting to be noticed in the U.S. at that time. I was very impressed with his performance then, and I've loved every part he's played since (a few favorites: Three Days of the Condor; The Exorcist; Hannah and Her Sisters).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Virgin Spring at 8. While not many have this one pegged as their favorite Bergman, it is mine. Like I said I think he may win this countdown in the long run.

I forgot the opening line.
I did very much enjoy The Virgin Spring, but there are a few Bergman films that are superior to it for me, and therefore it didn't make my list. If I were making a top 50 list it would definitely have made it. It was the first of his films I'd ever seen, and it's very much overdue a rewatch because I saw it so long ago - but I remember being incredibly impressed. To anyone who hasn't seen it - this one might be the most pressing to catch, but I can't say for sure because I haven't seen two-thirds of these films.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 10
Films that have been on my radar : 2
Films I've never even heard of : 22
Films I've heard of : 3

Films from my list : 0

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was my number 2 pick. It's my favorite Miyazaki film and one of my all-time favorite movies in general, so it probably goes without saying that I'm glad it made the list.

Virgin Spring was remade by Wes Craven as The Last House on the Left. Further remakes are not worth mentioning.
I thought The Night Train Murders was quite good. At the very least, a bit more tasteful than Last House (although you could argue that Last House benefits from its tastelessness). But yeah, not a genre/premise I've been eager to explore further.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched 3 of the last 4 films for this countdown, and while a couple of them were considered for my list, none of them made my list.

I liked Au Revoir Les Enfants, and I considered it for my list, but it just got bumped by movies that I liked more than this one.

I watched The Wages of Fear for a HoF a few years ago, and I liked it, so I rewatched it for this countdown. It's a great edge-of-your-seat thriller, but it takes a while to get to the thriller part of the movie, so it didn't make my list. (I haven't seen the remake Sorcerer, so I can't comment on which is better.)

I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and while I didn't think I had seen it before, parts of it looked familiar, so this may have been a rewatch, but I don't remember when I watched it previously. Having said that, this movie was only okay for me, so it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen The Virgin Spring.

I thought The Night Train Murders was quite good. At the very least, a bit more tasteful than Last House (although you could argue that Last House benefits from its tastelessness). But yeah, not a genre/premise I've been eager to explore further.
That was good too!

The Virgin Spring is one of those films that you mean to see, but for some reason or another, just haven't yet. I've seen both remakes and will agree that only Craven's take is worth bringing up. Can't help but to think the original will be better though.

Considering I've seen a whopping two Miyazaki films in my life, I haven't gotten around to Nausicaa yet. But considering my feelings on both, odds are I'll think it's a good one when all is said and done.

81 points, 6 lists
64. Red Desert

Director

Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964

Starring

Monica Vitti, Richard Harris, Carlo Chionetti, Xenia Valderi

82 points, 5 lists
63. Night and Fog

Director

Alain Resnais, 1956

Starring

Michel Bouquet

Two excellent films.

Red Desert was #21 on my ballot. Antonioni sometimes leaves me cold, but this is easily my favorite of his films. With the colors, the atmospheric and appropriately overwhelming sound design (even the opening titles have some stellar sound design), and menacing industrial shots, I find it to be a fascinating character study of unstableness. Due to all these technical elements, I think we're able to feel the protagonist's distress all throughout the film. Also, the girl on the beach story is terrific.

Night and Fog is probably the most horrifying film I've ever seen. While most war films present fictionalized accounts of the horrors of war and while most documentaries avoid showing the most harrowing bits to it, Resnais straight up presents them in their true, raw fashion and it makes for a truly powerful effect. It's not something I could see myself rewatching for obvious reasons, but I have a lot of respect for it.

Updated ballot:

19. The Mirror (1975, Tarkovsky) #86
21. Red Desert (1964, Antonioni) #64
23. Vampyr (1932, Dreyer) #84

Not seen Red Desert, haven't really been enamoured of any of the Antonioni I've seen thus far though. Night And Fog was in the running for a spot on my list but just missed out, glad to see it make the list without my help.

Seen: 25/38 (Own: 16/38)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
62. Häxan (1922)
61. Das Boot (1981)

I had Red Desert at #17. I think these are the one from my list that have made it so far, plus a one-pointer:

6. Chungking Express (1994)
13. Sonatine (1993)
15. The Mirror (1975)
17. Red Desert (1964)
21. Caché (2005)
25. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2004)

Also happy for Mark he finally got one!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I don't remember Red Desert at all, but I gave it a really low rating. 2/5. Only watched 3 Antonioni so far, so I need to go deeper in is filmography. Liked Blow-Up though, and I really didn't think I would.

Night And Fog is astounding. I don't usually consider shorts but if another Renais hadn't already been on my list I might have made an exception for this. I don't know that I will watch it again but it's unbelievable.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Red Desert follows the usual Antonioni theme of a mystery buried within alienation effects caused by the direction and the photography, I do find it better than his earlier films because they seem to go hand-in-hand with Monica Vitti's revealed mental illness and the use of color does heighten these intended effects. It still has some maddening-obtuse stretches, and Richard Harris seems out of place, but it's clear that it's leading toward the direction of Blow-Up.

Night and Fog is my #6.

This film, the first Resnais film I ever watched, is probably too potent for me to even discuss. It's 32 minutes long, and it's equally divided up into what the WWII Nazis at the concentration camps (Auschwitz, Birkenau, Majdanek, Struthof, Mathausen) documented in B&W with what the Allies found when they "liberated" the camps, and color footage of what the camps looked like 10 years later. The narration, written by poet Jean Cayrol and spoken by Michel Bouquet (Le Jouet, the original The Toy) is incredibly moving, as is the powerful music by Hanns Eisler. For me to even try to put what this movie conveys into some critical context seems to make me less of a human being, but I'll give it a try.

One of the subversive things about Night and Fog is that, even though almost NONE of its footage was readily available before the film's release, most people today believe they know the full measure of the atrocities committed at these camps. If you watch Night and Fog, which is highly philosophical and almost subliminal, you may well wonder what the big deal is today. However, I have showed this film to all my high school students; you know, the ones who think that the coolest scenes in Saving Private Ryan are the ones where the guy on Omaha Beach takes off the helmet which saved his life and immediately has his brains splattered, and the scene with the dueling snipers, where Jackson puts a hole in the German's shooting eye. Anyway, they just sit there, reading the subtitles and wondering what the point is, and then, all of a sudden, in the final eight minutes, the film turns into the most powerful thing you've ever experienced. All my female students are crying (just like this big wuss), but my male students aren't exactly crying, but they are quite impressed by the images which they could never imagine that they would ever see without special effects.

Resnais films are mostly about War and Rememberance. This film is the most perfect example of this in his entire filmography. At the end of Night and Fog, the narrator wonders if man will ever fully escape from enslaving and killing his fellow man when he finds it "necessary". The narrator also wonders who will ever take responsibility for the unspeakable horrors I will not show you here. Apparently, Resnais intended Night and Fog as a commentary on France's current occupation of Algeria in the mid-1950s and how his own beloved people could follow in the Nazis' footsteps by not learning from history. In fact, there are a few implications in Night and Fog that the French Vichy government aided the Nazis in their extermination of undesirables, but since this film was sponsored by the 1955 French government, anything along those lines is supposed to have been censored, although Resnais denies it.

All I can say is that if you can watch this film without becoming an overflowing wall of tears, then you're a much better man than I. I'm not actually sure if the film appeals more to one's brain, heart, soul or philosophy, but I truly believe everyone should watch Night and Fog at least once. I'll understand if you can't take it again. but I'm up to about 15 times now, and I feel good about myself every time I show it to a new set of students. I know; I'm reprehensible.

My List

6. Night and Fog
13. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Reply to Topic