The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I thought I had voted for Run Lola Run but I guess I didn't. So that and Au Revoir les Enphants would be 26 and 27 for me. Both were on early drafts of my 25 but got bumped by films that probably have zero chance of making this countdown. Le Trou and Fireworks were also very close to making it. If it weren't for all the Emmanuelle movies and a few more Emanuelle, those four would have been in.

Rififi (15) and Diabolique (16) are the first ones from my top 25 to show. Seen 16 of the films so far and made one huge mistake. There's going to be a movie that should have at least 18 more points than it's going to end up getting.

81 points, 4 lists
66. The Virgin Spring

Director

Ingmar Bergman, 1960

Starring

Max von Sydow, Birgitta Valberg, Gunnel Lindblom, Birgitta Pettersson

81 points, 5 lists
65. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 1984

Starring

Sumi Shimamoto, Ichiro Nagai, Goro Naya, Yoji Matsuda

Bergman is my favorite foreign language director and one of my favorite directors period. For some reason I’m didn’t respond to Virgin Spiing though. I need to get to my second watch. Never going to be upset when one of his movies show.

Miyazaki is kicking a$$ with no help from me. Even if II end up being a fan I don’t think it will be because of movies like Nausicca or Princess Mononoke. They bored me big time.

The Virgin Spring is possibly my favourite of the Bergman's that I've seen, happy to see it turn up even though I didn't vote for it. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is ok but wouldn't figure in my favourites from Ghibli.

Seen: 24/36 (Own: 16/36)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
64. Tropa de Elite [Elite Squad] (2007)
63. Werckmeister harmóniák [Werckmeister Harmonies] (2000)

Both are one of my favorites from their respective directors, but no votes from me. It's still the second day in a row that I prefer a film's remake to a film that made the countdown.

Two more to the list of unseen films for me...

My Summary:

Seen: 9/36
My list: 2/25

My List  

And Miyazaki becomes the first director to have more than 2 films on the list! (and we all know he has *at least* one more)

Both are one of my favorites from their respective directors, but no votes from me. It's still the second day in a row that I prefer a film's remake to a film that made the countdown.
I will further prove my ignorance in public. Which of these was remade?

I've seen both of these. I respect both of them, but I like neither. As I said, Hayao Miyazaki just doesn't tell stories that appeal to me. Ingmar Bergman, on the hand, usually does but The Virgin Spring isn't one of them. It's probably my least favorite Bergman so far.

Bergman is considered to be one of the all time great directors. But I haven't enjoyed one of his movies yet and I've seen a number of them, they're just not for me. The Virgin Spring was more to my liking but no vote from me.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, I've seen this once, 35 years ago and it struck me as very deep and moving. There's a scene of the crashing airship that I never have forgotten. If I had rewatched this it might have made my list.

I will further prove my ignorance in public. Which of these was remade?
Virgin Spring was remade by Wes Craven as The Last House on the Left. Further remakes are not worth mentioning.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
PBS (which is where I saw many of my earliest Bergmans) showed The Virgin Spring in the '70s. It started out slowly but depicted a very specific world. When it came to the first shocking scene, I was quite disturbed and wasn't sure where it was going. But quickly it got to the next graphic part, and boy, I was blown away. Then you get the spiritual ending. I think it's Bergman's best at showing innocence and corruption or sin and redemption in a visceral manner. Sven Nykvist's cinematography is transcendental. When I later watched The Last House on the Left, I thought to myself that's where they stole that from.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is the first from my list (at #13) and my fave Miyazaki. It's action-packed, with a strong ecological message and spectacular animation. And of course, it's very weird.

Virgin Spring was remade by Wes Craven as The Last House on the Left. Further remakes are not worth mentioning.
Wes Craven, that explains my ignorance

Not a particularly inspiring four for me, mainly because I've only seen one of them.

Au Revoir Les Enfants I've not seen. It's a title I always have to read a couple of times to make sure it's not Enfants du Paradis (which I have seen and might've made my list, but I've only seen it once so, while I remember it fondly I'm not sure I'd have been confident enough to add it)

Wages Of Fear. I don't get it. Sorry. Not that it's bad or that I hated it, just that I found it boring (despite apparently being 'thrilliing') so maybe I'll watch it again soometime and change my mind. But I wouldn't bet on either of those things being that likely.

The Virgin Spring I've not seen, but do have, and assume that I'll at least like it.

Lastly there's Nausicca, which I obviously haven't seen.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
-Le Trou - 9/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10 -- Bergman is one of my favorites, but he has better movies. Didn't like this at all the first time.
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Au Revoir Les Enfants is on my watchlist and I'm pretty sure I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it when I inevitably see it.

Not sure where my preference lies when it comes to Sorcerer which I wrote "As a story and as a movie, this is really an intense and engulfing ride that also pulls you into the sweltering heat, the pain, frustration and the nerve-racking fear that the characters are subjected to throughout." Like so many others the swinging bridge scene REALLY stays with you. When it comes to comparing this remake to the original Wages of Fear since it was a couple of years between viewings. I DO know I loved both experiences and thought highly of both. I would imagine I would appreciate them equally instead of easily claiming one is superior to the other since I would happily revisit both.

The Wages of Fear aka Le salaire de la peur

Dick: When I was a kid, I used to see men go off on this kind of jobs... and not come back. When they did, they were wrecks. Their hair had turned white and their hands were shaking like palsy! You don't know what fear is. But you'll see. It's catching, it's catching like small pox! And once you get it, it's for life! So long, boys, and good luck.

I had originally seen the remake Sorcerer back in the 70s Hall of Fame and even though the original does not have that intense bridge crossing, there is still some taut, suspense-filled moments of two nitro laden trucks being driven some three hundred miles through the haphazard mountains of South America.

Director Henri-Georges Clouzot knows when to use extreme angles, when to set up close-ups and when to give a more grand scale to what is occurring to this collection of desperate individuals where no one is the good guy. Nor is anyone truly bad either. Just a very, highly dangerous job needs to be done and Clouzot gives us four flawed men with pasts looking for enough cash to get the hell out of the crummy town they've been stuck in.

Just over two hours this film actually clips along rather nicely, even with the extended introductions of the four men who jump at the suicide mission of driving such a dangerous payload of nitroglycerin and every conceivable obstacle that blocks their progress. Including one another.

Movies Seen: 17 of 34 (50.0%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Another two very worthy inductees.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Kushana: Nice valley. Think I'll keep it.

It's kind of amazing (and in no way a critique) that it's hard to talk about any given Miyazki film WITHOUT repeating one's self in regards to his other films or without mentioning them.
While creating the basis for several of his later films, Miyazaki definitely hits the mark for one of his first endeavors into Children Storytelling set in a Fantasy world with ecological concerns and a strong female character as the protagonist. All of which is done quite beautifully, especially when it comes to the artwork which I do find myself paying far more attention to than the story or characters at times. (Something I do with nearly all animation.) Even more so when it comes to hand-painted films and there is much for me to appreciate and enjoy in this film. Such as the truly exquisite floral of the "toxic" jungle that I found to have some of my favorite artwork.

I was also impressed by the selfless, and complete unabashed willingness of the lead character to "let go" when it came to the jungle and its denizens. There were a number of moments when I was inspired by how she opened up. A great lesson and a reminder to this old codger.

Along with Nausicaa, the remaining cast was quite good and enjoyable to see; rounding out the film's sojourn quite nicely.
Another wonderful film by a wonderful man.

The Virgin Spring

Beggar: Flying birds find something, sitting birds only find death. I have found both women and churches.

When I saw this, my experience with Bergman was nearly non-existent. Having only seen Through a Glass Darkly before this.
Something I have had the unique pleasure of changing (thanks to HoFs). Much of it has to do with seeing more of a young Max Von Sydow whom I've always enjoyed in later films and, of course, within this film with such presence as the loving, trauma-ridden father of the young Karin who is raped, killed and her clothes stolen.

In fact, I did enjoy the ensemble within this film. The mother and the farmhands, though not so much the daughter. Though that may be a subconscious distancing knowing what was to befall her beforehand.
The thieves/rapists/murderers did an excellent job as desperate, hungry, cruel individuals who covet and steal with brutality.
I especially like the performance of Gunnel Lindblom who played Ingeri. The jealous bitterness was displayed very well in the opening parts of the film. Her calling out to Odin in particular created a strong promise of the "mood" of this film.

Something I didn't realize until meandering through IMDb as I do, but the one-eyed Bridge Keeper is actually supposed to be Odin with a number of hints to express this. A nice touch, that. And an amusing irony since the family is ardently Catholic and it is a "pagan" god that answers the prayers of the servant girl, Ingeri while the catholic God allows the rape/murder to occur. Sydow's character lamenting over that fact at the end of the film while with the same breath promises to build a church for Him.

While I am someone who does struggle through most arthouse films throughout the years, I found myself involved and intrigued as this played out.
I also watched the interview with director Ang Lee with the DVD I rented from my library. He had an excellent remark about how this film was so serene even with so much violence. He also noted the intriguing use of filming Sydow's lamenting figure from behind instead of, as is more common, from in front to capture his emotions and how he would find himself doing the same thing when filming a character deeply lost in similar circumstances.
Intriguing stuff.

And an intriguing film.
My viewings of Bergman have increased since then and I do have a favorite that made my List which I'm sure will be appearing later on in the Countdown.

Movies Seen: 19 of 36 (52.770%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Reply to Topic