The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Cache, Le Trou, Fitzcarraldo, and Samurai Rebellion all are films I haven't seen and I feel like I should. I've seen one Michael Haneke (The White Ribbon) and a couple of Werner Herzog documentaries (Lo and Behold and Into the Inferno).

I thought I was fairly well versed on foreign films heading into this with some blindspots (Fellini, anime). But I'm learning that I have a lot left to learn. Look forward to improving my education in the future.

Samurai Rebellion is the 2nd from my list to appear. Very little action which strangely is a plus for me. I'm not big into sword fighting but this movie has a great story and of course Mifune.

Fitzcarraldo was a contender for my list but didn't quite make it. It could be my favorite Herzog. Or maybe it's Nosferatu or Stroszek, I'm not sure.

9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)

Two from my list I didn't expect to see on here but am thrilled showed up
Knife in the Water (Polanski, 1962)

What a brilliant film. With three isolated characters, Knife in the Water builds a tension that can not be imitated by anyone but the master himself, Polanski. A well established-but obviously flawed- married couple pick up a young hitchhiker, and take him along on their boat for a sailing trip. The divide between classes is immediately evident. The film was made in Poland's communist era, owning a private car is a new concept and by any nations standard the couple is wealthy. There are sly remarks exchanged about age, but what's really being taunted is prosperity. The tension is so thick in the opening scenes you can cut it with a knife . You'd think a love triangle has already been in play that the audience is just unbeknownst too. But despite the tension and the discreet cruelty there's something so beautiful and serene about the sailing trip. Despite the build up suggesting a storm, the calming eastern-European setting was so free that I would have happily joined. Adding to the beauty is the cinematography which is the best I've ever seen. It's minimalist but every shot is beautiful, which is to be expected with Polanski's perfectionist mentality. But not only beautifully shot, the camera work is equally symbolic with its constant showing of exclusion. There's rarely a scene where the three, yes only three, cast members are together. It's usually 2 vs 1.

I also realized in this film how well Polanski incorporates props. For a long time I have considered Persona the best film in that regard, Knife in the Water takes the cake. Whether it's Andrjez watch, the upscale robes, the alarm clock, the pipe, the Crocodile floaty, the instruments of the ship, the hot soup, the liquor. Everything is in place and serves a purpose. Especially the knife, which is just as essential to the film as any of the characters. The film has a theme of materialism, and it seems Polanski's a very materialistic man himself. This can really be seen in his recent feature, Venus in Fur. The economic statement in this film was deemed "too western" for Polish audiences, but I believe the statements on hard work, bravery, and climbing up the ladder is a great one.

Outside of economic themes there are plenty of other ideas, often revolving around eroticism, but another interesting study in this film is that of masculinity. The two male characters constantly one up each other. It begins as man of sea vs man of land and evolves from there to general bravery. The shirts literally come off, and it's implied that this is to impress the center female figure, who is by far the wisest character of the film. But she's rather stoic if not irritated by this, she does not care who the "skipper" is, and often volunteers to be submissive to both of her fellow sailors instead of idly watching the fiasco. The film is very psychological in its questioning of actions- far more complex than Rosemary's Baby. (Which isn't a sly to the classic horror film, but more a compliment to this thriller). The story ends right where it began, with the couple bickering in their car. Despite the destructiveness and deception, what has changed?

Perhaps in the 25 best films I've ever seen

Cache is my favorite Haneke film

Week 5- Michael Haneke

Cache-
+

Cache is a tight nerve wrenching, heart pounding, film. The greatest thriller of recent history. A couple with a near perfect life gets disturbed by video tapes arriving at there door of someone watching them. No character development lead into this, the film dived right into this. Smart decision in my mind, because this film never wasted a second. These tapes and occasional letters turned there lives upside down. There were no threats, no foul play, just the pure idea of being stalked crashed there lives to the ground. I was incredibly tense through out, I was always on the edge waiting for what's to come next. The editing by Muse and Hudeck was unbelievable, the pacing was spot on. The only thing I wish is that there would be at least some more of a conclusion. I'm not saying a give away, but a hint. The film can be interpreted many ways with the open end, I'm still pondering a few possibilities. No doubt in my mind though that this will be remembered as a classic with in the thriller genre.
My List
3. Knife in the Water
12. Cache

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Cache is one of Haneke's most renowned and it's indeed very good, though far from my favorites of his. It's admirably slow, which makes the you-know-which moment duly affecting in both contrast and unpredictability. Still, I like Der siebente Kontinent, Funny Games, La pianiste and Amour more.

Le Trou is a masterpiece of show-don't-tell and the arduous labor of the prisoners sure couldn't have been portrayed in a better way. Although there is no robbery in this movie, some parts of the film remind me of the earlier French masterpiece Rififi (which, In turn, inspired Melville's The Red Circle). I wonder if another French prison break film, Bresson's A Man Escaped will make it...

Fitzcarraldo sure speaks volumes of Herzog and hints at the idea that he was only a little bit less manic than Kinski. The fact they really moved a ship over the mountain during that infamous scene really speaks a lot about Herzog's opinion that for him there is no difference between fiction and documentary. This is the ultimate film on a dreamer, and I wonder how much Herzog felt like one while making this film.

"Chuck Norris will die in bed. Werner Herzog will die after falling from an airship into a volcano." - Roger Ebert

Samurai Rebellion is one of Kobayashi's towering masterpieces. A film bigger than life, starring two mega actors, Toshiro Mifune and Tatsuya Nakadai. Love, dignity, and family versus the feudal law of the clan! Putting honor to the hardest test. Rebellion or submission to authority? Love or loyalty to the code? A piercing cry after years of suffocation results in a timeless, multidimensional struggle between morality and repressing principles of Confucianism. I rebel, therefore I am. Sometimes you have to die to feel that you are alive. Sure, Harakiri and The Human Condition trilogy are better but that only speaks of how masterful Kobayashi was.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Cache and Fitcarraldo are both films I own but have not seen. Naturally I think I'll like both but, maybe, we'll see someday.

Not seen Le Trou or Samurai Rebellion but they both seem like films I might like.

Naturally I think I'll like both but, maybe, we'll see someday.
Naturally, you think you'd rather rewatch Charlie's Angels than watch any of these two.

67 points, 4 lists
78. Fireworks

Director

Takeshi Kitano, 1997

Starring

Takeshi Kitano, Kayoko Kishimoto, Ren Osugi, Susumu Terajima

67 points, 6 lists
77. My Neighbor Totoro

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 1988

Starring

Noriko Hidaka, Hitoshi Takagi, Chika Sakamoto, Shigesato Itoi

Love My Neighbor Totoro! One of my favourite films and #16 on my ballot. So glad it made the countdown. I haven't seen Fireworks.

Another one to see. I will check out Fireworks this week.

My Neighbor Totoro could be my favorite Miyazaki. It’s in a race with Porco and Spirited. I need to watch them again though, as I have mentioned.

Hana-bi is my favourite Kitano, very happy to see it turn up even though it wasn't on my own ballot. Not seen My Neighbour Totoro, in the main the Ghibli I've seen have exceeded expectations though so despite the brief synopsis not particularly sounding appealing to me perhaps one day I might get round to this one.

Seen: 14/24 (Own: 9/24)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
76. Devdas (1955)
75. Tabu (2012)

Fireworks is top form Kitano. Very beautiful. Dolls is my favorite Kitano but Fireworks sure places in TOP 5. I have to rewatch it, too.

My Neighbor Totoro is easily the best anime film ever (FIGHT ME @Guaporense ). I think this is the film, in which Miyazaki nailed this child-like feeling of wonder and beauty, which made Totoro so extremely moving.

Both films were scored by Joe Hisaishi, and needless to say, he did one helluva job with these soundtracks, immensely improving both films.

I watched Samurai Rebellion for a Hall of Fame and thought it was very good, but for some reason it didn’t come to mind when I compiled my list. Glad to see it here.

I had 9 animations on my ballot but none were Miyazaki. I don’t think I’ve seen Hanai-bi and I definitely haven’t seen Fitzcarraldo.

My Ballot:
2. The Skin I Live In (#92)
8. Paprika (#100)
23. Raise the Red Lantern (#91)
25. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (One-Pointers)

I was thinking of mentioning that Fireworks was my favorite Takeshi when Sonatine came up, but I didn't.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Fireworks is more of Takeshi's violent poetry and since I'm going into broken record mode, AGAIN, it's watchable yet I still haven't gotten the deep love. It should be watched, as all of Kitano's films, since there's so many scenes that can mean a lot.

Totoro was one I originally found boring and just plain strange, but after a rewatch (or three), I now find it charming, funny and downright "normal". Didn't vote for either.

Perhaps watching it in English wasn't the best move.
Go to dubbing jail!

Reply to Topic