The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've only seen one Haneke film, Funny Games, and can do without attempting another. Just not my thing.

Le Trou aka The Hole

Director, Jaques Becker, an assistant to Renoir during the '30s does a splendid job of creating tension and a more realistic visitation into the penal system by using a story based on a true incident. Along with having three of the actual prisoners from the attempted escape as technical assistance and having one, Roland, playing himself in the film as well.

While prison films are almost a genre upon themselves, Becker ignores the usual tropes of cruel guards or volatile prisoners and we find a close camaraderie accompanied by some truly inventive means to dig their way out. I was continually impressed by the way they created tools and props to hide what they were doing. As well as delving into the manual labor necessary to get through cement and rock to an escape route.

All of this culminating into the attempt and the betrayal, adding an additional stunning surprise when it ends moments later.
An excellent ending to quite an excellent film!
A serious contender, but didn't make my list.

Movies Seen: 8 of 20 (40%)
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

65 points, 4 lists
80. Fitzcarraldo

Director

Werner Herzog, 1982

Starring

Klaus Kinski, Claudia Cardinale, Jose Lewgoy, Miguel Ãngel Fuentes

65 points, 5 lists
79. Samurai Rebellion

Director

Masaki Kobayashi, 1967

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Yoko Tsukasa, Go Kato, Tatsuyoshi Ehara

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This is a pair I wouldn't have predicted. I didn't realise Fitzcarraldo was that popular on here, and I'd never even heard of Samurai Rebellion.

Fitzcarraldo is my favourite from Herzog so whilst it didn't quite make my personal ballot I'm delighted to see it show on the list. Samurai Rebellion has been on my 'want to see' list for quite some time now but sadly the opportunity just hasn't presented itself yet.

Seen: 13/22 (Own: 8/22)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
78. La grande bellezza [The Great Beauty] (2013)
77. El abrazo de la serpiente [Embrace Of The Serpent] (2015)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Fitzcarraldo is another of Herzog's films with scenes that no other filmmaker would attempt. Most of the scenes where the boat is hauled over the mountains are real. Kinski plays another of his obsessive characters where he doesn't seem to be acting, and during much of his abusive behavior, he probably was just being himself. All of these conditions contribute to the power of the film.

Samurai Rebellion seems a bit too formal and drawn out to be as exciting as it should be but when the action comes, it's pretty good. Worth seeing but too reminiscent of other classic samurai flicks.

No votes.

This is a pair I wouldn't have predicted. I didn't realise Fitzcarraldo was that popular on here, and I'd never even heard of Samurai Rebellion.
I haven't seen Samurai Rebellion, but several people (here and outside) recommended it to me after I saw and loved Harakiri, so that figures.

Anyway, another one I haven't seen. Fitzcarraldo is a film that I didn't love (hence, not on my list), but that still worked for me on many levels. It's a really interesting watch even if I don't feel it fully comes through in the end.

My Summary:

Seen: 5/22
My list: 1/25

My List  

It's rare for any discussion of Haneke not to at some point turn towards criticisms of his misanthropic view of the world. And, yeah, his films are undoubtedly bleak. But I think its overlooking how there is also an element of despair present in his depiction of man's darkest impulses. And you don't arrive at despair without at first caring deeply. And the sense of guilt that lingers in the mystery at the centre of Cache has deep humanistic implications. But we can also just put that completely aside, as the film is a ripping thriller. Deeply unsettling, but also deeply entertaining. I didn't pick it, and somehow overlooked placing my fav of his movies (The White Ribbon) on my list, but at some point I'm hoping his brand of sad and hopeless stories will crawl out from the shadow cast by the reputation of Funny Games (which, while maybe not a very human film, is also similarly pigeon holed as just being misery for misery sake)

The idea of making Fitzcaraldo has always been significantly more interesting than the movie itself. Possibly why I prefer Burden of Dreams to it. Is it a good movie? Sure. And I'm due to rewatch it at some point. But I place it pretty low on my list of prime Herzog's. It might even be at the bottom.

I know I really liked Samurai REbellion, but saw it at a period where I binge watched so many classic samurai films they just all eventually blended together. I think it was very likely near the top of all of them. I remember appreciating the contrast with how composed and sedate its narrative scenes were, and how explosive its moments of violence could blast through the formal constrictions the rest of the film would settle into. That is, if I'm thinking of the correct movie.

The trick is not minding
Fitzcarraldo is an interesting look into a mans obsession. I prefer Aguirre, Stroszek and The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser, but of the three, I only expect Aguirre to appear.

Have not watched Rebellion yet, but much like everything else here, it’s on my watch list.

Fitzcarraldo is justifiably the more famous Herzog/Kinski collaborations, but, like crumbs, I think I prefer Burden of Dreams (ad maybe even My Best Fiend). Anyway, it wasn't the token Herzog I chose.

Samurai Rebellion is one of the best of the second-tier samurai films, and does have that extraordinary and gorgeous climax fight shot in tall grass.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I preferred the documentary of Fitzcarraldo, but didn't care for the movie.. I gave it no more than a 5/10

Never saw "Samurai Rebellion", but thought I would have, especially because of Toshiro Mifune, one of my favorite actors.

Samurai Rebellion not on my list but I reviewed it here and gave it a

Excerpt from my review:
I liked this! Even though there's some sword fighting at the end of the film, this is essentially a melodrama.

What I thought was interesting is how this Japanese film from 1967 seemed to take it's cues from late 1950s American melodrama films. There's some resemblances to Douglas Sirk's earlier films

The samurai for all his status, is dominated by his strong willed wife. A woman who was forced on him by an arranged marriage. In some ways this is Japan's version of a feminist film. Many earlier Japanese films showed women as being subservient. Here, the women are full of will power and determination and make bold statements.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I haven't seen Samurai Rebellion, but several people (here and outside) recommended it to me after I saw and loved Harakiri, so that figures.
I will wholeheartedly add myself to that list of recommendations. If you enjoyed Harakiri, you'll definitely love Rebellion.

I know I really liked Samurai REbellion, but saw it at a period where I binge watched so many classic samurai films they just all eventually blended together. I think it was very likely near the top of all of them. I remember appreciating the contrast with how composed and sedate its narrative scenes were, and how explosive its moments of violence could blast through the formal constrictions the rest of the film would settle into. That is, if I'm thinking of the correct movie.
I believe it could very well be.

For me, it made #13 on my list

Samurai Rebellion aka Jôi-uchi: Hairyô tsuma shimatsu (1967)

Isaburo Sasahara: Each must live his own life.

A slow-burner of a film with such a wonderous reward for the time invested in viewing this film by Masaki Kobayashi.
Starring Toshirô Mifune, who, for me, can do no wrong. The calm waters that scarcely conceals the turbulence beneath have continuously amazed and captivated me every single time I've seen him. He plays Isaburo Sasahara, an aged samurai who has spent his life as a henpecked husband preserving the standing of the family he had been chosen to be married into.
So, when he sees that the eldest of his two sons would be put into a very similar position when their lord insists that he marries his mistress, Ichi (Yôko Tsukasa) who, even though she had just born him a son, has fallen out of his favor; Isaburo is more than just a little hesitant.

Against everyone's expectations, especially Ichi and her assigned husband, Yogoro (Gô Katô), the two fall very much in love and are gifted with a baby girl within the first two years of marriage.

But, when the lord's first son dies, he demands that Ichi return to be the now new heir's mother.
Ichi does not want to return. Nor does Yogoro wish to part with her. To the agitation of their self-preserving family clan. The only one on their side is Isaburo as the chess match of diplomatic formalities, codes of honor, and, above all, what is truly right, escalate to the inevitable bloodshed.

A beautifully told story. The measured telling drew me in with such sublime subtlety I had no idea just how captivated I was until the third act as the two lovers, especially Ichi, remained resolute in the face of such insurmountable odds. Her poetic nobility causing a loud cheer to bubble out of me.
Have not seen Fitzcarraldo.
From Werner Herzog I have only seen Aguirre, which I only respected. It didn't compel me to venture deeper into his films. The anomaly being Nosferatu and that's more out of a strong curiosity to see what he does with the subject matter.

Movies Seen: 9 of 22 (40.9%)
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

I forgot the opening line.
Another 50/50 for me. Seen one / haven't seen one. Fitzcarraldo deserves a place in the top 100, even though it wasn't on my list (sadly, I don't think any Herzog films made my list.) There's not much on my list that I'd change, but I feel my #24 is way too obscure to show up here - and I wish I'd given Caché or especially a token Werner Herzog film it's due. Trouble is, I feel that the Kinski period of his work with the likes of Cobra Verde, Aguirre, the Wrath of God, Fitzcarraldo etc etc, while all being excellent films, doesn't have one that really pushes itself forward as the 'best' one. So it's either pick none or pick them all.

Samurai Rebellion looks very interesting - I look forward to watching it,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 7
Films that have been on my radar : 1
Films I've never even heard of : 14
Films I've heard of : 1

Films from my list : 0

Reply to Topic