Beatles Documentaries

Tools    

I've no desire to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm a little concerned about this quote from Jackson: "Sure, there's moments of drama — but none of the discord this project has long been associated with." It's the word "none" that bothers me. I'm just as excited as the next guy for the new footage, but I don't want a Paul-approved revisionist thing either. None of us have access to the full 60 hours so maybe it wasn't as bad as we've been led to believe but the band DID break up the next year after all. So it couldn't have all been jolly cups of tea. I'm just afraid ignoring the tense bits will make this seem cheap.

BUT I am beyond giddy at the footage we've seen. Hope I can see it in a theater.

Oh, I'm definitely watching this. I grew up listening to the Beatles. My favorite band.
Also a huge Beatles fan here, I am also watching this

I've no desire to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm a little concerned about this quote from Jackson: "Sure, there's moments of drama — but none of the discord this project has long been associated with." It's the word "none" that bothers me. I'm just as excited as the next guy for the new footage, but I don't want a Paul-approved revisionist thing either. None of us have access to the full 60 hours so maybe it wasn't as bad as we've been led to believe but the band DID break up the next year after all. So it couldn't have all been jolly cups of tea. I'm just afraid ignoring the tense bits will make this seem cheap.

BUT I am beyond giddy at the footage we've seen. Hope I can see it in a theater.
While I don't think there is any doubt that the Beatles at this point were a long troubled enterprise, an argument could be made that Hogg's "Let It Be" focused exclusively on the dour, and because he got there first, this has become the only reality we've accepted from these studio sessions. Since that side of the coin has already been represented, I'm okay if Jackson has decided (even if it is at the exclusion of the uglier side) to give us a cheerier look at the situation to complete the incomplete picture Hogg has written into the history books.

While I don't think there is any doubt that the Beatles at this point were a long troubled enterprise, an argument could be made that Hogg's "Let It Be" focused exclusively on the dour, and because he got there first, this has become the only reality we've accepted from these studio sessions. Since that side of the coin has already been represented, I'm okay if Jackson has decided (even if it is at the exclusion of the uglier side) to give us a cheerier look at the situation to complete the incomplete picture Hogg has written into the history books.
I realize now that I deleted it, but in my original draft I mentioned that the ideal solution would be to restore Hogg's film too, and maybe include it as a bluray bonus or something. I don't see that happening, just a thought.
Regardless, I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. I'll take whatever I can get. I just hope the mothereffer is 10 hours long.

I realize now that I deleted it, but in my original draft I mentioned that the ideal solution would be to restore Hogg's film too, and maybe include it as a bluray bonus or something. I don't see that happening, just a thought.
Regardless, I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. I'll take whatever I can get. I just hope the mothereffer is 10 hours long.
Frankly, I'd be happy if Jackson just left all 60 hours of tape, unedited, in an oil can on my front lawn.

Or maybe what I'm saying is this would be my preference.

I've listened to the tapes, and one could make the case either way. There was a bit of drama and a bit of comraderie. A lot of the former is more subtle than outright bitchyness - McCartney was very condescending throughout, not just to the group but to Lindsay-Hogg, Glyn Johns, and the rest of the crew. The way he either ignored or talked over Harrison was as incendiary as his actual criticism of his playing. Part of Harrison's quote during the famous "or I won't do it at all" argument was the follow-up "I certainly can't do it on camera". Lennon's long "snack breaks" and his lack of communication or engagement on return. And the general confusion of what the project was actually going to be, right up until the fateful decision of "fook it, let's go on the roof" all make it understandable why the group and those associated with it treated the whole thing as a debacle best forgotten. And Lennon's "sh*ttiest load of badly recorded sh*t" probably didn't help the reputation any more than the miserable film.

But there's enough moments of inspiration and joy to make a solid film's worth, and by all accounts the mood improved greatly once they shifted from Twikenham to Apple Studios (ie, from the dark cold cavernous sound stage to the cozy brightly lit white-walled homebase), which also coincided with their abandoning the ill-conceived TV special. But put me in the camp of those who are just happy to see as much more as possible.

So the Peter Jackson Get Back doc will be released as three two-hour films over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 26, 27, 28) on Disney+. Looks like I'll have to warm up the ol' VPN

So the Peter Jackson Get Back doc will be released as three two-hour films over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 26, 27, 28) on Disney+. Looks like I'll have to warm up the ol' VPN
Sounds good.

over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 26, 27, 28) on Disney+.
Correction: airing on Nov. 25, 26 and 27. I regret the error.

I knew these bastards were gonna make me join their cult in order to watch this. Called it months ago. The good news is that it's 6 hours but the bad is that I wanted to see it in a theater with very loud speakers.

And I assume there will be a BluRay for sale. Here's hoping I won't have to join the Disney Movie Club to buy it.

I haven't seen a lot, but I thought that Ron Howard's Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years was pretty good.

THE BEATLES: EIGHT DAYS A WEEK
THE TOURING YEARS

(2016, Howard)

"You must be kidding with that question. Culture? It's not culture... [It's] a good laugh"

Ron Howard takes a look at the Beatles rise to fame, international stardom, and the overall mass hysteria surrounding their touring years. It surely was a fun and interesting watch, particularly for someone who loves the Beatles but isn't as immersed into them as much as I wish, or as some hardcore fans might be.

The documentary manages to capture how the essence of their live shows and music changes from just pure fun and energy in the early years to a desire and need to experiment and go beyond. This I've said before and I still stand by it; there isn't a single musician/band that exemplifies what is musical evolution and growth paired with success as The Beatles, and that you can witness here.

If anything, one is left wanting to see more of them, but since Howard decided to focus on that rough period of 1962 to 1966, what could be considered their most experimental and maybe conflicting period is left out. It kinda feels abrupt the way the documentary ends. But anyway, a very fun and insightful documentary.

Grade:

The accompanying box set for the upcoming Let It Be doc was announced for release in October.