The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If I can get the code to work, I will be revealing 3 movies today.

The movies at #101 and #100 were tied on points, and while only one can officially be on the countdown, it seems fair to let #101 have its moment in the spotlight too.

Yoda unveils the required code for each entry:

I so read that as testes GIFs first time around

56 points, 4 lists
101. Porco Rosso

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 1992

Starring

Shaichira Moriyama, Tokiko Kata, Sanshi Katsura, Tsunehiko Kamija

56 points, 4 lists
100. Paprika

Director

Satoshi Kon, 2006

Starring

Megumi Hayashibara, Toru Emori, Katsunosuke Hori, Toru Furuya

It has begun!

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but the entries are rendering strangely on my browser. I am using Chrome. Here's a screenshot:

Is this happening for anyone else?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	top100_chrome_rendering.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	78652  

Looks fine in Chrome here. Mac rather than PC? Maybe a rogue plugin or adblocker or whatever? I assume desktop and not a tablet or something, as well? Anyway, send me the details if ya' can and I'll have a look.

If anyone else is having issues, please PM me directly. Don't wanna debug in this thread if I can help it.

Might take a day or two for me to get everything looking normal everywhere (still fiddling on mobile, too).

The trick is not minding
I’m getting the same. I’m not bothered by it, so no biggie.

So, I have not seen Porco Rosso yet, but I have seen both Paprika and Nights of Cabiria, so I’m 2 for 2 to start this.
Paprika was a recent watch and was a pleasant surprise for me. I’d rate it higher then Perfect Blue.

I don’t remember much from Nights of Cabiria, except I was lukewarm towards it. But that’s how I usually feel towards Fellini.

Looks fine in Chrome here. Mac rather than PC? Maybe a rogue plugin or adblocker or whatever? I assume desktop and not a tablet or something, as well?

If anyone else is having issues, though, please PM me directly. Don't wanna clog this thread up with debugging.

Might take a day or two for me to get everything looking normal everywhere.
I cleared my cache, refreshed the browser and it looks good.

In case anyone is wondering about how the ties are broken when two (or more!) films have the same number of points, it first goes on the number of lists, the one on more lists goes higher. If they are on the same number of lists, it goes to which placed highest on an individual list. Paprika's highest placing was 3rd, Porco Rosso's was 7th.

Paprika at #100?! Oof. That doesn’t bode well for many of the films on my ballot.

I think Satoshi Kon was a masterful filmmaker and Paprika is a really visually stunning film. It’s an all-time favorite of mine. I voted for it at #8.

Porco Rosso is one of 10 Hayao Miyazaki films that I have seen. His films are very beautiful and I respect their artistry, but the stories he tells just don’t appeal to me.

My Ballot:
8. Paprika (#100)
25. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (One-Pointers)

Not seen Porco Rosso, no reason other than simply haven't gotten round to it yet. Not seen Paprika either, in fact not yet seen any Satoshi Kon for that matter. Nights Of Cabiria on the other hand is one of my two favourite Fellini fillums and nice to see it squeeze onto the lower end of the list as I didn't expect it to show.

Seen: 1/2 (Own: 1/2)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.0):
98. Nanjing! Nanjing! [City Of Life And Death] (2009)
97. Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant [The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant] (1972)

OK, this is embarrassing but I think I made a mistake on the list. There are so many ties that have to be broken manually and I'm afraid I have written down the wrong film at #99. I am going to triple check the ties and placements again, sorry!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Porco Rosso is a weaker Miyazaki film but still quite enjoyable.

I hated Paprika the first time I watched it. Should I rewatch it?

Nights of Cabiria is my second favorite Fellini and a masterpiece.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nights of Cabiria that low, oh my. I would've figured that to be top 50 material. I didn't care for Paprika on the first watch but warmed up to it on a second watch. Still I'm glad it's lower than higher on the countdown....

Oh and, Thursday Next your hard work is appreciated! Thanks for doing this for us...And same to Yoda who's working hard behind the scenes so we can have some fun

Reply to Topic