Asian Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Does....does this means there’s hope for me?
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The trick is not minding
Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Awww. 🙁

For a second there...just for one second....I thought I had the Mr Minio seal of approval.
Just for a second there.....

Tears of the Black Tiger (2000)

This was a trippy experience...I suppose if you were to put it in a genre it's an acid western. Everything is very over the top, the visuals, the action set pieces and colors. Still I think the most important part of a film like this is to engage the audience and I was engaged.

Their is something to be said about a film that throws everything at you at once that you can get distracted from it and miss the performances. But I was actually drawn in by Stella Mallucchi's performance. Apparently some critics compared this film to Sirk...which I can get with the use of color though at points it felt almost like a Jordowsky film.

One of the things I loved about this film is that each action piece just got more and more absurd. This is a film that you really shouldn't take seriously but you can enjoy it. One of things that I particularly enjoyed in this was the backgrounds, I'm kinda surprised this was made 20 years ago when another film seemed to have a similar idea yet looked far worse. But this was a good nom I liked it.

t That's a very narrow-minded approach to editing and cinematography.
Kay...that's your opinion you didn't submit a film, for me a man who has watched every Kurosawa film his early work is too ugly and amateurish for me.

Yet another argument, which simply says somebody finds the movie boring. It usually means it lacks action sequences and a gripping plot full of twists.
I'm not often bored by films, Dust in the Wind was boring though. A film doesn't need to have action sequences and plot twists but it does need to have what I would consider tempo. When the characters aren't given personalities or interesting things to do and it takes forever to get to the point than your film is boring.

Do you guys even rate this HoF as a positive experience? Because you sound as if you were suffering.
I would only give positive recommendations to four films from this hall...does it make it the worst I've ever been in...I don't know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
for me a man who has watched every Kurosawa film his early work is too ugly and amateurish for me.
I've seen every Kurosawa, too. I mean, some of his films are among the best-blocked films ever made, but his early films are aesthetically pleasing, too. Just not in a wow-inducing way. Much more subtle and realistic filmmaking. Rough. But with moments of beauty. Rashomon looks better than 99% films made today.
I'm not often bored by films, Dust in the Wind was boring though. A film doesn't need to have action sequences and plot twists but it does need to have what I would consider tempo. When the characters aren't given personalities or interesting things to do and it takes forever to get to the point than your film is boring.
Yet another reminder this forum is for movie buffs and not for cinephiles. What slow cinema films do you consider well-paced?
I would only give positive recommendations to four films from this hall
Which ones?

Yet another reminder this forum is for movie buffs and not for cinephiles. What slow cinema films do you consider well-paced?
Repulsion
The White Ribbon
Melancholia
Barry Lyndon
Stalker
Elephant
Broken Flowers
Post Tenebras Lux
Killing of a Sacred Deer
All is Lost

The trick is not minding
Just to back up Siddon here, he isn’t a newbie who just started watching films. While I may disagree with him some times, his opinion isn’t without merit. He’s just as much a cinephile as you.

And making a reference to this site being for “film buffs” and not for “cinephiles” doesn’t dispute anything he is argued, so I’m unsure of its point here.

Ciniphiles can disagree about a film, afterall.

The trick is not minding
Hanagatami

Every scene is like a dream, a surreal quality, tranquil and idyllic, that seems at odds with the roiling thunder that is war, serving as a backdrop to this tale. It’s ostensibly a coming of age tale, but it hypnotizes you with its images, so much so that you realize there is more to it then a simple coming of age story. This film won’t allow itself to be pegged down so easily.

Water colors flowing through the frames as if drawn from the well directly, every scene almost seems to cry out in a desperate howl of loneliness.

Each of these characters seem lonely, of course for a reason. Only Toshihiko seems truly happy. Some are sick, such as Mina, who suffers from TB.

Full of anti war imagery, death permeates the boundaries, inescapable for some.....embraced by others. A feeling of hopelessness.

I can’t say I understood everything, and it’s easy to be distracted by the images, but this won’t be a film I’m liable to forget any time soon.

OK I'm starting to add up the results...at this point I have NO idea which movie is going to win. Any guesses on 1st place? on last place? or on the overall results of the 11 movies?

OK I'm starting to add up the results...at this point I have NO idea which movie is going to win. Any guesses on 1st place? on last place? or on the overall results of the 11 movies?
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it will be an 11 way tie and everyone is a winner!

My only guess is that Paprika will do really well, since I think everyone seemed to like that one. At the very least, no one hated it.

I think four of the top five are going to be Rashomon, Paprika, Black Rain, and Mother

I think four of the top five are going to be Rashomon, Paprika, Black Rain, and Mother
Is the missing film from your expected top 5 Daimajin? I'd have to go back through the reviews again, but that seemed to have a good overall reception as well.

I'm really interested to see how the more divisive films like Hanagatami and Tears of the Black Tiger do.