25th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Chimes has certainly turned it around here.
It's a dark horse nom! I haven't watched it yet but this is good advice:

Chimes at Midnight
...My advice to anyone who couldn't keep up with the dialogue is to look up the plot to familiarize yourself with any details you were fuzzy on and rewatch the film with subtitles...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Chimes has certainly turned it around here.
Aye, and forsooth!

Translation: it does f@ckin seem to
Looks like it will be me playing the role of Neiba this time! Wish me luck!
you're in fine company, welcome to the caboose, my friend
It's a dark horse nom! I haven't watched it yet but this is good advice:
Subtitles ARE a must for Shakespeare films. Absolutely. Even if you're quite familiar.

American Movie (Chris Smith, 1999)

Of the films nominated that I'd seen before, this was definitely one of the ones I was dreading the least but I was also in no way excited for. It's just a film you don't need to see a second time. There's nothing to gain from additional viewings, it being as direct as it is, and since my initial impressions were only marginally positive it felt like there was nowhere for my feeling toward this film to go but down. And they did. To be honest I don't think the film really accomplishes anything. It's not terribly interesting or inspiring (nor are the people in the film), its kind of boring, sloppy, has a couple laughs but overall isn't all that strong in that regard either. Also, Mark just outright sucks. Despite all that its never a pain to watch though and Coven actually looks kinda alright. Maybe I'll track that down at some point. Uhh, yeah its whatever. Does nothing but is mostly inoffensive.

The Long Goodbye (1973)
Directed By: Robert Altman
Starring: Elliott Gould, Nina van Pallandt, Sterling Hayden

The Long Goodbye provides an interesting spin on a classic genre, as well as one of its most iconic characters. It acknowledges traditional noir clichés, and highlights how out of place someone like Phillip Marlowe would be in a world that has undergone many changes since Raymond Chandler first starting writing his novels. With overlapping dialogue and a meandering plot, this isn't a detective story that's told in a clean, succinct manner, but it's a satisfying one nonetheless.

The camera often moves around the perimeter of scenes, and films conversations from the other side of a glass screen or car, giving the impression that the audience is an outside observer. Marlowe himself doesn't seem to have much agency in the story until the very end, which fits this particular characterization of a man who is at odds with the world he lives in. Though he was perhaps a little too flippant at times, I really enjoyed Marlowe's attitude, with Elliott Gould's performance being the highlight of the film for me.

I wish I could say the same for the other actors, but most of them were just serviceable at best. This didn't bother me too much, with the exception of Sterling Hayden, who I found actively repulsive. I do wonder whether or not that was intentional, or just a side effect of his alleged inebriation at the time. Other than that, I did thoroughly enjoy The Long Goodbye for its use of humour, stark flashes of reality, and the near non-stop barrage of wisecracks.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodbye.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	77949  

How bad is it that it wasn't until now that I'm reading the other write-ups for The Long Goodbye that I realize essentially the same music was playing throughout the entire film.

How bad is it that it wasn't until now that I'm reading the other write-ups for The Long Goodbye that I realize essentially the same music was playing throughout the entire film.

Just wait till you realize it's the title of the movie.

Sundays And Cybele: Yikes! After reading the reviews I expected to fall somewhere in the middle of the debate. Unfortunately, I don’t think this movie is ever not on Pierre”s side, and I don’t think it holds onto any ambiguity for very long either.

Sundays And Cybele: Yikes! After reading the reviews I expected to fall somewhere in the middle of the debate. Unfortunately, I don’t think this movie is ever not on Pierre”s side, and I don’t think it holds onto any ambiguity for very long either.
What do you mean by: "I don’t think it holds onto any ambiguity for very long either."...I haven't seen the movie yet btw.

What do you mean by: "I don’t think it holds onto any ambiguity for very long either."...I haven't seen the movie yet btw.
You don’t want me to answer till you do.

Why would it be or not be on anyone's side?

Are you really asking whether or not movies can take a point of view?
Some movies definitely do but I just didn't see it in this particular movie. I just saw it as a story being presented.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
American Movie

I watched this back in March but I was really excited to see it again. I love how full of life Mark Borchardt is. Well and Mike Schank is too. Borchardts passion for film kind of reminds me of Ed Wood. I actually recently watched Coven too and while it wasn't the greatest film obviously, you could tell that Borchardt was very passionate and has a love for his craft. There's a lot of laughs to be had, he's just a funny guy. The 30 takes or whatever with his uncle had me laughing again. I just love following these people for the 100 minute runtime as they are a hoot. Someday I hope Northwestern can be finished so I can see another Borchardt masterpiece. Very good doc.

+

Some movies definitely do but I just didn't see it in this particular movie. I just saw it as a story being presented.
I think the way the other adults in the movie act put us on Pierre”s side.

Without you saying it, what I am sensing is that you were against him. Therefore anything less by anybody else might be on his side in your eyes.