The Polar Express! (2004)

→ in
Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block

Having just got back from seeing this at the cinema i feel full of the festive beans. Zemeckis and Hanks are back toegether again, but this time in the form of CGI characters (Hanks, Not Mecky). I was always going to see this at the cinema just because i have always enjoyed Zemeckis and Hanks together (Forrest Gump, Cast Away), but i never thought it would be as good as it was. The whole film is a total treat for the eyes, and if you enjoy getting into the holiday spirit this is without a doubt the film for you. Its so full of christmassness that it is litterally overflowing. Now obviosuly for poeple that dont enjoy the Christmas shmultz, i wouldnt reccommend it, as it can be seen as a little too sickly sweet, however, i dont mind a bit of sacharine gooeyness, and at this time of year i embrace it! Tom Hanks plays several characters in the movie, voice wise and motion capture wise, and although some may find it slightly creepy with every face turning round to be his, i absoloulty adored it. Mecky's attempt at trying to produce truly humanlike CGI works quite well, but the scenery and images the film throws out will be what really impresses you. With a very good story, some incredible action sequences (one of which involves the train skidding across a frozen lake i particulary(sp?) wobbled at.) and some amazing secenery it will be very hard for the kids and anyone who watches it too get bored. With Alan Silvestri beautiful music score and Zemeckis's enchanting abilities of telling a story, the film is touching for adults as well as the kids.

- A must see on your Holidays Movies List

i thought the film was cleverly done and the cgi was done well...at times i forgot i was looking at an animated film...i love the idea that the north pole looked like a tiny city...and the idea of santa's sleigh bell...

I wanted to see this, then I saw the trailer and Tom Hanks looked creepy so then I wasn't so sure. But maybe I will wait til it comes to video (but Christmas will be over). Maybe I will wait til next year. This also happened with another recent Hanks movie. Hanks laughed and looked creepy so I decided not to watch the movie. Good review though blibby!

Shameless self promotion
I was kind of wondering whether or not to see this. I'ce never seen a Christmas film at the cinema and was going to see Bad Santa but i think it's gone now. Was worried this may be a bit too "kiddie", you know, being a kids film and all lol but seems like something I may like. Like gummo says, ythought about waiting for video but would be a bit pointless really. Great review blibblobblib, may have to check it out.

You should definalty go see this if your a fan of sacharine Christmas movies like It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street etc. Obviosuy the first is an absolout classic, but they all match in Christmasjoyness. Dont NOT go and not see this just because you think Tom Hanks will creep you out, thats just silly.
Originally Posted by susan
i love the idea that the north pole looked like a tiny city...and the idea of santa's sleigh bell...
The idea of the Bell is so so sweet. I wish i could still hear it And the little girl in it was so nice. i wanted to hug her and kidnap her. As for the kid with the glasses....he was the only annoyiong thing in the film, i serioulsy would have chucked him in the coal burner.

Shameless self promotion
Thanks blibblobblib, may give it a go. Or Lemony Snicket even, that's out now. Not really a fan of Jim Carrey but it looks nice and seasonal. What does everybody reckon on my Christmas viewing conundrum?

You should see both!! Why limit ya self? Snickett is going to be awsome, the books are great fun so the film should be too. Go on, Its Christmas!

Shameless self promotion
Yeah, your right. For some reason I never really thought of that, duh!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I've heard this is a wonderful candy colored film. I've wanted to see it myself, and my stick-up-his-ass boyfriend is refusing. I suppose I'll have to wait until DVD.

didnt like it thought it was boring

Personally, I disliked the film. The overall dark tone seemed an odd fit for a Christmas movie, and what's worse was that the film actually tried to make us accept a happy ending after an hour and forty minutes of what struck me as pessimism. If I want a good Holiday film, I'll opt for the lighter and more comical A Christmas Story, and if I want a good collaboration between Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks I'll watch Forrest Gump.

Ah, I liked this movie a lot. It's been a while since I last saw it. I loved the animation, with a passion. I'm not really a big Christmas movie person, but I liked this movie.