The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
Not getting much time on here unfortunately. Crazy some films that are missing from this list. Also, The Shining outside the top 20 is a travesty.

Aight, ah give it a go.

10. Jurassic Park (I am genuinely putting this in as my dark horse)
09. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
08. Blade Runner
07. Citizen Kane
06. Jaws
05. 2001
04. Goodfellas
03. Apocalypse Now
02. The Godfather
01. Pulp Fiction

I'm having a niggling doubt about Casablanca this time round.
For some reason I just don't think it made it, and am having a tough time accepting that Jurassic isn't gonna make it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Even though I'm 90% certain of my guesses, there are a couple I'm not as sure of. Mostly Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, and maybe Casablanca. I agree that The Dark Knight might be a potential dark horse, but so is Fargo.
I'd love for there to be a surprise.

Nobody throwing out any love for Ghostbusters then?

So far I got 15 movies I woulda put real money on making the top 100 that haven't been revealed yet.

So 5 of these ain't making it.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Dark Knight
Ghostbusters
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
RoboCop
Predator
Pulp Fiction

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nobody throwing out any love for Ghostbusters then?

So far I got 15 movies I woulda put real money on making the top 100 that haven't been revealed yet.

So 5 of these ain't making it.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Dark Knight
Ghostbusters
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
RoboCop
Predator
Pulp Fiction
2 of these never had too much of a shot.

Welcome to the human race...
Everyone who voted for Ghostbusters 10 years ago clearly grew up.

A system of cells interlinked
Everyone who voted for Ghostbusters 10 years ago clearly grew up.
Still a big fan of The Ghostbusters, but, that's not something I would ever put in the running for a Top 25 of all time.

If there is any movie not making it that might make me happy it would be Jurassic Park.

Like, how is that movie even still a thing. Outside of the special effects (which actually do hold up compared to most) what is memorable about it? It's a boiler plate Spielberg with no iconic performances to carry it through, a completely basic plot, and, um, I've already run out of anything to say about it.

It's not bad, but I've never got the appeal. It would almost definitely be my least favorite movie on the list if it made it.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd disagree on Jurassic Park not having iconic performances, even if they're not necessarily on the same level as a Martin Brody or an Indiana Jones. Sam Neill as the curmudgeonly palaeontologist, Laura Dern as his capable offsider, Jeff Goldblum as a rockstar mathematician of all things, RIchard Attenbourgh as the "spared no expense" idealist founder of the park, even Wayne Knight as the treacherous I.T. guy.. The plot's basic, sure, but Spielberg has shown time and time again that films don't need to have complex plots to be good (and that complicating them can be for the worst, as the Jurassic sequels[/i] tend to show)

If there is any movie not making it that might make me happy it would be Jurassic Park.

Like, how is that movie even still a thing. Outside of the special effects (which actually do hold up compared to most) what is memorable about it? It's a boiler plate Spielberg with no iconic performances to carry it through, a completely basic plot, and, um, I've already run out of anything to say about it.

It's not bad, but I've never got the appeal. It would almost definitely be my least favorite movie on the list if it made it.
The movie didn't need an iconic performance to make its impression.
While I agree with the CGI part as it still outranks any movie made since... JP has everything else about it being an exercise in perfection.
Spielberg basically took everything he'd learned about filmmaking from Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, and mashed all those techniques into JP, then backed it up with cutting edge, break-the-mould special effects and trick photography.

Horror, humour, adventure, photography, special effects, story, screenplay... are all perfection.

The "basic plot" of JP, is also one affected by movies that were made after JP.
Like the points I made about Alien and The Thing.
It's a basic plot... now.
Because every movie since has tried to replicate it and it has become commonplace, so when looking back at JP, the screenplay seems quaint and generic.

Spielberg never tried to to push the movie beyond what he knew it was.
He simply took the various simplest forms of movie making that he'd perfected over the years, mashed them into one movie, and culminated the lot into one piece of perfect filmmaking.

This vid is brilliant at showing how Spielberg knew how to work with both the limitations of the time, and with what he'd learned from the previous 20 years of working in Hollywood.

Edit: Also this:
I'd disagree on Jurassic Park not having iconic performances, even if they're not necessarily on the same level as a Martin Brody or an Indiana Jones. Sam Neill as the curmudgeonly palaeontologist, Laura Dern as his capable offsider, Jeff Goldblum as a rockstar mathematician of all things, RIchard Attenbourgh as the "spared no expense" idealist founder of the park, even Wayne Knight as the treacherous I.T. guy.. The plot's basic, sure, but Spielberg has shown time and time again that films don't need to have complex plots to be good (and that complicating them can be for the worst, as the Jurassic sequels[/i] tend to show)

• 284 points
  • 16 lists
10. Citizen Kane

Director

Orson Welles, 1941

Starring

Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore, Ray Collins

Citizen Kane was #3 on the MoFo '40s List behind The Third Man and Casablanca. It leapfrogged over the Carol Reed, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If you're interested in Citizen Kane, or just filmmaking in general, there are two things other than the film itself worth your attention:

1. Roger Ebert's Commentary. You'll find this on some (most?) deluxe editions of the film on DVD, Blu-ray, whatever. It's just Ebert commentating over the whole film, and it's one of the best commentaries you'll ever hear. He's just constantly rattling off interesting trivia, drawing attention to framing and camera techniques, particularly those that Welles more or less invented for the film. You really get a sense for how many things that might seem unremarkable now were totally new back then. The film is filled to the brim with meaningful artistic advances and thoughtful storytelling choices. Here's a clip:

2. Mank. This is David Fincher's latest film, it was produced by Netflix (and is on there now), and it came out just a few months ago. It's the story of Herman J. Mankiewicz, who wrote the film's screenplay. I really enjoyed, as discussed in this thread a bit. Interesting just to see how the film was (and wasn't) made, apart from being a great story in its own right. You're gonna hear a lot more about it as the Oscars approach, too, I think, so if you're the type to let the nominations and likely winners inform your to-do list anyway, get a head start on that by watching Mank.