The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I did like his Thin Red Line, though I really need a rewatch as it was like many years ago that I first watched it.
The Thin Red Line is great as well. Overall, I'm a huge Malick fan.

The Thin Red Line is great as well. Overall, I'm a huge Malick fan.
I'd totally be up for watching more Malick. Maybe one of his films will be nominated in the 25th HoF Thanks for the convo! I'm off for the night with a movie and pizza. That's a 24th HoF movie btw!

I'd totally be up for watching more Malick. Maybe one of his films will be nominated in the 25th HoF Thanks for the convo! I'm off for the night with a movie and pizza. That's a 24th HoF movie btw!
Yep, good discussion! I don't know what film I'll nominate for the 25th HoF, but I plan to participate in it.

Tomorrow's hint:

If you'd hold out for spring
You must endure winter's snows
Then expect the thing
That pride before goes
With each step it rings
You think you know them, although...
As you recoil, it sings
Meeting that gruesome merlot
The Thing and Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
12 Angry Men is probably the greatest courtroom drama ever made, even though it actually takes place in the jury room. It's been one of my all-time favorite movies for as long as I can remember, and it was #3 on my list.

I watched The Shining for the Horror Countdown, but I just don't get what everyone else sees in the movie. Needless to say, it did not make my list.

My list so far:
2) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
3) 12 Angry Men (1957)
7) West Side Story (1961)
10) The Wizard of Oz (1939)
19) North by Northwest (1959)
25) Sunday in New York (1963) (My 1-pointer)

I've been away for a while so here's a quick rundown of my thoughts on some of the films I've missed:

40.*Rear Window*(129 points) One of my favourite Hitchcock films.
39.*Spirited Away*(130 points) One of my favourite animated films.
38.*It's A Wonderful Life*(132 points) A classic but not a particular favourite of mine.
37.*Aliens*(139 points) Love it. Brilliant sequel. Was in my top 50.
36.*The Wizard of Oz*(143 points) Another enjoyable classic but not one of my personal favourites.
35.*The Godfather: Part II*(145 points) Second on my list but it didn't even crack the top 30...you broke my heart MoFos, you broke my heart. Amazing acting from an amazing cast, particularly Pacino and De Niro. Everything about the film is of the highest quality; direction, score, cinematography, script, editing. Entertainment and art, the absorbing story of Michael's descent into darkness as he alienates, shuns and kills everyone close to him in the pursuit of greater and greater power, intercut and contrasted with his father's youth; building a business, establishing a reputation, forging friendships, starting a family. Compelling film making of the highest order. Love it.
34.*Back to the Future*(147 points) Also on my list. Who doesn't love Back to the Future? Possibly the most enjoyable, heartwarming and re-watchable film ever. So iconic, so many classic scenes and quotable lines. The perfect cast, great story, great concept, funny, charming, hugely entertaining.
33.*One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest*(149 points) Another on my list. Probably Jack Nicholson's greatest performance sparring against the ice cold Louise Fletcher. Great performances all round. It has a that 70s realistic feel to it that adds so much depth. I haven't seen it in a while but it remains one of my favourite films.
32.*A Clockwork Orange*(150 points) Great film but not on my list.
31.*Once Upon a Time in the West*(154 points) On my list. An absolute classic Western of the highest quality.

30.*Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back*(159 points) My second favourite Star Wars film. Great film but didn't make my list.
29.*Se7en*(160 points) Another great film that didn't make my list. Top 50.
28.*The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King*(164 points) One of my favourite films, a close second to Fellowship but didn't make my list because I only wanted to use one vote on LOTR. So much to love about this film: the score, the scope, the battles, the stakes and emotions, a truly momentous achievement. Favourite scenes: Minas Tirith introduction, Frodo, Sam and Gollum on the stairs, the buildup to the battle, all the battle scenes especially the charge of the Rohirrim and the giant elephants, Shelob the spider, destroying the ring and the Grey Havens. The only things that bug me are the ease with which the Witch King is killed (he's built up for three films as the ultimate badass, so powerful that he even shatters Gandalf's staff and then he's taken down by a 90 pound woman and a hobbit, I mean WTF?! Maybe that's just the way it's wrote; JRR Tolkien the secret 1950s SJW?). Similar issue with the Army of the Dead, they just stroll in and wipe out Sauron's entire army without breaking a sweat.
27.*Psycho*(168 points) great film but not on my list.
26.*Seven Samurai*(177 points) This is on my watchlist, it's got a great reputation as a masterpiece.
25.*Stalker*(178 points) Didn't think we'd have a film ranked 25 that I've never even heard of but such is the case here.
24.*The Matrix*(178 points) This was on my list. Groundbreaking, iconic modern masterpiece. It's got everything; great concept, laced with metaphors and hidden meanings that you can dive into on each re-watch, great characters with perfect casting, stylish as hell, brilliant action, filled with iconic scenes and quotable dialogue. Brilliant film, love it.
23.*The Good, the Bad and the Ugly*(181 points) Also on my list. Amazing Western. Great story, great characters, hugely iconic, a masterpiece.
22.*12 Angry Men*(183 points) A brilliant film. Deserves it's place this high up but it's a film I respect more than love.
21.*The Shining*(183 points) Possibly my favourite horror film but I wouldn't rank it this high.

My prediction for the top 20 films, in no particular order:

Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
Pulp Fiction
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Godfather
Blade Runner
Citizen Kane
Lawrence of Arabis
The Dark Knight
Fellowship of the Ring
Goodfellas
Chinatown
The Shawshank Redemption
Casablanca
On the Waterfront
Alien
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Vertigo
Jaws
The Social Network

• 205 points
  • 14 lists
20. The Thing

Director

John Carpenter, 1982

Starring

Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, T. K. Carter, David Clennon

• 212 points
  • 14 lists
19. Vertigo

Director

Alfred Hitchcock, 1958

Starring

James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Thing is a wild reimagining of the Hawks/Nyby 1951 flick and closer in tone to the original John W. Campbell Jr story which is apparently one of the first sci-fi stories about shape-shifters from outer space. At the time of its release, The Thing wasn't really greeted with good reviews, but I've always loved it, and I find it to be Carpenter's masterpiece. It's a lean, mean, fighting machine with almost nothing in the way of wasted scenes and a strong sense of its own capability of holding your interest while taking it's sweet time in building things up. Now, Carpenter has always tried to build his films in a similar fashion, but to me, this is the one where he's far more successful than ever before or since. Maybe it's the exotic location of Antarctica. Who can name more than five films, not including documentaries and cartoons, which take place on that continent? Maybe it's the mind-boggling special and makeup effects which to this day are some of the most-disgusting-yet-witty displays of violent destruction of life ever depicted on film. Maybe it's the combo of the men's camraderie and their contempt of each other because once it becomes clear what the hell this thing is and what it wants to do, it makes the all-male cast want to keep to themselves even though they all would probably like to have someone cover their back if they could only trust them. Both Twelve O'Clock High and The Thing are about men facing impossible odds in an attempt to survive and theoretically help save humankind. In The Thing, there's a computer calculation which states that if the ONE Thing were left to its own devices, it would take over every single living thing on earth in about three years. So yeah, that showdown at the end of The Thing, which reminds me more of John Huston's The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (Dobbs and Curtin betting on who's going to fall asleep first) than it does anything in Hawks' Red River or the original The Thing (Hawks being Carpenter's fave director), is basically about the survival of the human race.

Vertigo is thought of way better than it once was, but it deserves to be. Vertigo is basically about obsession, transference, guilt, fate, and possession of the characters. It's multi-layered, even if it's the viewers who increase its significance through repeat viewings. You've pretty much got what the characters did in the film after the first bell tower scene, but it should really be looked at from the perspective of a dream or nightmare which it resembles for the most part. It's not supposed to be rational, so if your problems with it are that it doesn't make sense, you'll never like it or get what you're supposed to get out of it. If you try to go along with it, you'll be rewarded with a hypnotic experience. I realize that I criticize similar films for similar reasons, but take my word for it , this one is better. I love the on-location and subjective photography of San Francisco and its environs but my fave is the walk in the Redwoods. Vertigo is not your average film or viewing experience. It seems to defy logic and has few likable characters. However, the photography and music are hypnotic. Vertigo is the kind of film which demands multiple viewings to "get into it", and then eventually you discover that the film is thematically-rich, not only in the way people behave in a relationship but how directors/scripters use their actors and how films use their viewers. Vertigo is a film which greatly divides people. Many believe it's the apotheosis of everything Hitch ever did and reveals himself more than any other film. Then there are those who like it up to a point but are baffled by some of the plot, plot twists, and character revelations. They just think it gets stupid and/or silly.

Very pleased to see The Thing show up, Carpenter's best for me and like Alien a huge omission from the 2010 countdown.

No surprise to see Vertigo, it's a solid Hitch but nowhere near my favourite from him.

Seen: 72/82 (Own: 37/82)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
18. Ran (1985)
17. Lat sau san taam (1992)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
2 solid films.

Carpenters second best for me and Vertigo is very good although it doesn't even crack my top 5 Hitch. But that's a big testament to the greatness of Hitch.

Hint explanation:

If you'd hold out for spring
You must endure winter's snows
The Thing takes place during a blizzard.

Then expect the thing
Literally says "the thing."

That pride before goes
Fall. "Pride goeth before the fall." Spring-Winter-Fall. Fall like, from a height.

With each step it rings

You think you know them, although...
Fits both, since both The Thing and Vertigo have the theme of mistaken identity.

As you recoil, it sings
Coil is a synonym for wire. "It sings" is the squealing when they place the heated wire down on the blood samples.

Speaking of...

Meeting that gruesome merlot
Blood.

Bonus hint explanation:

A trial simple and speedy
The wire-on-the-blood.

We must stand at the Ready
Okay, this one is super cheeky, but I couldn't resist. Two things should stand out about this line: first, that it's capitalized (Ready and not ready), and that it's a slant rhyme with "speedy." Both are explained by this being a reference to MacReady, Kurt Russell's character. It's capitalized because it's capitalized in his name, and if you pronounced it the way he does (Mac-Reedy), it rhymes perfectly.

Will keep them at bay
In Vertigo she jumps into the bay.

If you don't know their direction
Nor angle, nor way
Norway!

The tension is heightened
Height!

It will rise as you climb
Rise, climb. Heights. And literally climbing the stairs.

They won't miss the Point
Unless you reach them in time
Another cheeky one. Point is capitalized because it refers to Fort Point, the area under the Golden Gate bridge she jumps into. I like this because she'll only "miss the Point" (not jump into the bay) if you "reach [her] in time."

Damn, I picked the wrong horror film.Was torn between two horror films and "The Thing" lost out. Still hope my favorite of the genre will show up, but beginning to doubt it.

"Vertigo" is a film I never really cared for. Mid-tier Hitchcock for my taste and was more entertained by Mel Brooks parody "High Anxiety".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

64/80 films seen

The Thing wasn't for me. I don't think I will ever be a Carpenter fan.

Veryigo is great. It has Stewart. one of my favorite opening scenes, and one of my favorite endings. Sits at #3 in my Hitch rankings. Didn't make my list.

Saw that line and literally said to myself "no way it's The Thing."
*Mr. Burns voice* Excellent.

Really wanna set the tone for future hints, so if they're bad you had warning, and if they're super literal people will overthink them and assume they're metaphorical. Or vice-versa.

I really just want you all angry and confused the whole time.

12 Angry Men Not surprised to see 12 Angry Men this high even though it wasn't on my list. It's a great movie
. Fantastic script and solid acting all around. I had a lot of fun watching this open and shut case fall apart.

The Shining Love Kubrick and love Jack but I really do not like the Shining. At all.
Honestly, it's unwatchable for me mainly due to ALL the performances. Yeah, I'm one of them "the book is better" people.

The Thing Hell yeah!
It's in my top 10 at no. 8. It just edges out Alien as my fav sci-fi/horror, which are my two favorite genres. It's one of the movies that knocked my socks off the first time I watched it and it hasn't slipped a bit in over 30+ years. Of course back then I just loved it for the gore.

Vertigo Not a huge fan. Probably went in with too high of expectations. Only watched it once, don't remember much and I should probably give it another shot but at
and knowing my feelings for Hitch, I can't say I'm really interested in giving it another shot.

My List:
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#33)
5. The Exorcist (#47)
8. The Thing (#20)
11. The Empire Strikes Back (#30)
14. Amadeus (#50)
15. The Wizard of Oz (#36)
17. Rear Window (#40)
18. Gone With the Wind (#55)
19. Metropolis (#73)
20. Shindler's List (#41)
22. Sunset Boulevard (#53)
24. Se7en (#29)
25. One Pointer - Planes, Trains and Automobiles