The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Clues has vibes of another surprise film coming, although that seems crazy at this point.

I'll just go with Arabia and Strangelove as throw offs to the clue.

The Adventure Starts Here!
INCEPTIONNNNNN!!!

No, wait...
Fool's Gold... no, that was a terrible movie that nobody watched. That can't be it.
Fools Rush In... no, not the type of movie to be on this list, I don't think.
King Solomon's Mines?

I give up.

Gladiator or
Citizen Kane or (dying clutching at something that isn't worth much to other people... yeah, I got nothin')
Doctor Zhivago or (aka David Lean's Film of Doctor Zhivago, "David" being the name of a biblical king)
The Matrix (bending over backwards)

INCEPTIONNNNNNN!

Tomorrow's hint:

Don't bend over backwards
To avoid joining the dead
Let your feet leave the ground
Until you're light in the head

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
And you'll fly with the help
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written
By the one who faced lions

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
For which thing you fight
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
And they lie in their graves
Clutching iron pyrite
Shawshank Redemption and 12 Years a Slave

Tomorrow's hint:

Don't bend over backwards
To avoid joining the dead
Let your feet leave the ground
Until you're light in the head

You don't have to fall
For angels have wings
And you'll fly with the help
Of Biblical kings

Of that grand tradition
Of rulers and scions
Read the book written
By the one who faced lions

But no face off is civil
And no war is polite
And it isn't so frivol
For which thing you fight
Many men are made slaves
By money and spite
And they lie in their graves
Clutching iron pyrite
Coulda sworn this was The Exorcist but it's already made the list

The Matrix and Gladiator come to mind though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think I tried watching Seven Samurai a few years ago for either a HoF or movie tournament, but if I remember correctly, I didn't like it and I'm not even sure if I finished it.

I haven't seen Stalker.

Unfortunately, foreign (non-English) movies are a bit of a blind spot for me because I have a hard time with subtitles, so I have no desire to see either of these movies.

Since I just reviewed the #70 pick (Heat), I might as well repost my review of it in here as well:

Don't get attached to anything you aren't willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

WARNING: spoilers below
"A Los Angeles crime saga"; its tagline certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to setting the hype high for the film to come, but Michael Mann's Heat ultimately ends up justifying most of those lofty expectations, as Mann draws inspiration from both real life and from his previous films (including his 1989 TV movie LA Takedown, which served as the basis for this film) in order to create a sort of grand culmination of his career up to this point, pairing an excellent screenplay, a cast of Hollywood legends, and a sleek, stylish aesthetic in order to bring a unexpectedly expansive scope to a familar genre, creating one of his best films, and what can only be described as a true crime epic in the end.

Heat primarily tells the story of two men; Neil McCauley (portrayed by Robert De Niro), a high class armed thief looking to take down the biggest score of his "career" with his crew (while also avoiding a return trip to prison at all costs), and Vincent Hanna (played by Al Pacino), the LAPD detective chasing him, who is willing to sacrifice everything in order to catch McCauley, even as his personal life collapses all around him as his obsessive pursuit winds ever on. The two men's stories create a strong central dynamic through the sheer force of the screen icons portraying them, finally acting face-to-face with each other after a tantalizing close brush in the second Godfather (including a now infamous face-to-face conversation in the kind of all-night diner that Mann obsesses over), as they serve as mirror images of the other on their respective sides of the law, right down to the way that McCauley's newly-formed romance passes Hanna's crumbling marriage on a parallel track, and, even though they inevitably end up being enemies by nature, the two still can't help but share a respect for the other for their mutual professionalism, just like we can't choose one of them to truly "root" for here, so evenly spread are the film's sympathies for both of them.

However, while they would be enough to center an entire film around on their own, Heat's story isn't content to merely focus on just them, as Mann's screenplay widens its scope to also develop their personal lives, and their (often troubled) relationships with their associates, families, and lovers, weaving a multi-webbed tapestry of a crime drama that's just as much about the drama as it is the crime, with its well-written, emotionally insightful dialogue letting us know exactly what makes the characters tick. And, while the film is held back slightly by the occasional sense of bloat, with a few too many characters and sub-plots feeling crammed in, Heat's broader vision still ends up working in its for the most part, fully immersing us in its vivid LA underworld for nearly 3 hours straight, portraying each and every side of the city of angels, from shabby shacktowns to literal glass houses on the rolling hills above, to the point that the city itself is basically its own character here.

Finally, Heat impresses through its sheer overall style, as Mann paints the concrete jungle that is Los Angeles as a veritable sea of urban lights, with its immaculate, steely blue pallete and moody Elliot Goldenthal score creating an almost dream-like vibe to its imagery, which contrasts nicely with the film's insistence on a tactile sense of realism otherwise, as Mann engages in another familiar element of his films, that of the elite, professional criminal who's so good that you can't help but admire him, as the film takes joy in meticulously laying out the step-by-step intricacies of each heist, culminating in a spectacular centerpiece shootout that turns LA into a literal warzone, as the deafening sound of automatic weapons boom throughout the streets, with the thrills not coming from any truly unrealistic stuntwork, but from the sheer intensity that such an incident brings with it (which would see a terrifying echo in real life just a couple of years later with the North Hollywood shootout). All in all, this is one of the strongest efforts from one of the best directors working today, and ultimately well worth its lengthy runtime, so all I have to ask you now is, can you feel the Heat, coming roaring your way? Because I know I can.

Final Score: 8.5

I hope no Lebowski if Fargo is the casualty
Have you got your long list? Would be interesting to see how many now have to be chopped. Surely Lebowski makes it though. I'm a little worried about Fargo.

Personally, I am hoping stuff like The Matrix doesn't make it but it looks like it could be next. I really don't see why people regard that as one of the greatest films ever.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Fargo and Lebowski are my top 2 Coen movies.

Suspect's Reviews

Fargo and Lebowski are my top 2 Coen movies.
Same here.

EDIT: For full ranking
  1. Fargo
  2. The Big Lebowski
  3. No Country for Old Men
  4. Blood Simple
  5. Raising Arizona
  6. A Serious Man
  7. The Man Who Wasn't There
  8. Burn After Reading
  9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  10. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  11. True Grit
  12. Intolerable Cruelty

I remember liking, but being a bit lukewarm towards Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink, but it's been more than 20 years I think, so I can't rank them properly. Been meaning to rewatch both.

For me, something like:

1. The Big Lebowski
  2. Miller's Crossing
  3. Inside Llewyn Davis
  4. Barton Fink
  5. Fargo
  6. No Country for Old Men
  7. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  8. Blood Simple
  9. Hail, Caesar!
  10. True Grit
  11. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  12. A Serious Man
  13. The Hudsucker Proxy
  14. Inolterable Cruelty
  15. The Man Who Wasn't There
  16. Burn After Reading
  17. Raising Arizona
  18. The Ladykillers

The top 2 are definite, 3 to 8 are pretty much interchangeable depending on my mood.

MoFos ranked the Coen Brothers filmography in THIS THREAD.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For me, something like:

1. The Big Lebowski
  2. Miller's Crossing
  3. Inside Llewyn Davis
  4. Barton Fink
  5. Fargo
  6. No Country for Old Men
  7. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  8. Blood Simple
  9. Hail, Caesar!
  10. True Grit
  11. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  12. A Serious Man
  13. The Hudsucker Proxy
  14. Inolterable Cruelty
  15. The Man Who Wasn't There
  16. Burn After Reading
  17. Raising Arizona
  18. The Ladykillers

The top 2 are definite, 3 to 8 are pretty much interchangeable depending on my mood.
Edited my above post for my ranking.

MoFos ranked the Coen Brothers filmography in THIS THREAD.
Cheers Holden. Looks like my rankings haven't changed much since 2016 to be fair, I've just managed to fill in the viewing gaps!

Fingers crossed for both The Big Lebowski and Fargo on here. I have faith MoFos!

Personally, I am hoping stuff like The Matrix doesn't make it but it looks like it could be next. I really don't see why people regard that as one of the greatest films ever.

"The Matrix" is poo. There, I said it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The remaining films:
*The Godfather
*Shawshank Redemption
*Casablanca
*Goodfellas
*Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
*Fellowship of the Ring
Dark Knight
Up
*Raiders of the Lost Ark
*Blade Runner
*Jaws
*Taxi Driver
*Alien
*Dr. strangelove
*Lawrence of Arabia
All About Eve
Citizen Kane
*Fargo
Wall E
Social Network
Inception
*Apocalypse now
On the Waterfront
*Double Indemnity
The Master
Rashomon
*Chinatown
*Lebowski
*The Thing

This was my list WITHOUT The Thing. Which I think will make it because it's so loved here. Star my new predictions, including Lebowski since everyone bringing it up.

• 178 points
  • 12 lists
24. The Matrix

Director

Lana Wachowski, 1999

Starring

Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving

• 181 points
  • 13 lists
23. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Director

Sergio Leone, 1966