The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, it's been ten films again.

This time there's been three that I haven't seen: Persona, Rear Window (I think, but like few others, I may have seen it as a kid), and It's a Wonderful Life (which I'm not interested in seeing in the least).

The Silence of the Lambs is a very solid thriller with some terrific performances (though I actually prefer Mads Mikkelsen over Anthony Hopkins as Lecter). It was never in consideration for my vote, but it could make my top-100 (and top-250 almost certainly).

Halloween, as a slasher, has never been a favorite. It's certainly influential, but I don't personally care much about it.

Unforgiven is a great western. Still, Clint has been involved in several better, so it wasn't going to land on my ballot.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is the second-best film in this trilogy. It would easily make my top-100, but there wasn't room in my 25.

Schindler's List is, in my opinion, a little uneven film. I still think it's good, but there's no room for merely a good film in my top-25.

Spirited Away is probably the best Miyazaki I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of anime, so that wasn't enough even for consideration.

Aliens is the other of my great teen favorites (hopefully the other will show up too), and I've seen it many, many times (probably closer to 50). It's not the definition of perfection anymore, but I still love it. With only a little help from nostalgia, it made #5 on my ballot.

Seen 37/64
My list this far:
01: The Exorcist (1973) [#47]
05: Aliens (1986) [#37]
13: The Seventh Seal (1957) [honorable mention]
15: The Terminator (1984) [#56]
25: Poison of the Fairies (1984) [1-pointer]

Side Note: Just got hooked up with HBO+. Now I'm going to crush through old fart classics that you clow....I mean, avid patrons of cinema gloat over.

Serious, I've got some great old films on my queue to discover anew and revisit old friends.

Knocked out a couple films last night. Watched "Paris, Texas" and was delighted. Always wanted to see this because of reviews I have read. It lived up to its billing. What a beautifully shot film and certainly deserving of a spot. Also revisited an old friend in " Dog Day Afternoon". I'll be highly upset if this isn't on the list.

• 143 points
  • 10 lists
36. The Wizard of Oz

Director

Victor Fleming, 1939

Starring

Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr

• 145 points
  • 8 lists
35. The Godfather: Part II

Director

Francis Ford Coppola, 1974

Starring

Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro

Two great movies I didn't vote for.

I watched Wizard Of Oz a lot as a kid. Have seen it as an adult and still think it's great. I have kind of moved past it being a favorite though.

Godfather II is an awesome watch but anyone who thinks it beats the original should be whacked.

About that hint:

Leave the fair weather friends
"Weather" a tiny nod towards the hurricane in Oz. "Fair weather friends" a reference to the themes of loyalty and betrayal in The Godfather: Part II. And obviously to create some nice symmetry with the next line:

Who won't give you a fair hearing
One of the most important scenes in The Godfather: Part II is a Senate hearing.

With their glowing red eyes
And their envious green
With their blanched machinations
Hiding, unseen
Okay, this one's pretty dense.

First level is that "red" is the ruby slippers and "green" is the Emerald City.

Second level is that "machinations" and "hiding, unseen" are a reference to the Man Behind the Curtain working his machine, and that "blanched" means "to drain color of," a nod to the black-and-white/color split in the film. It also means to coat something with tin.

The stupid third level which might be impossible to get is that "blanched" is also a synonym for white. Which means the colors in this group are: green, white, and red. Which gives you this:

Walk no road alone
Bring them along for the ride
For you'll always be home
With your family beside
Pretty straightforward: "road" because of the Yellow Brick Road, and "family beside" pointing to both the Mafia family and Dorothy surrounded by her family the whole time.

Welcome to the human race...
The Godfather Part II more than earns its place as a classic and both times it made my top 100 I ranked it higher than the original. Sorry, seanc. Still didn't vote for it.

The Wizard of Oz is in firm "view once and respect" territory for me.

A system of cells interlinked
1/2 ain't bad!

Two great films, which i have seen multiple times each, but neither made my list.

Going Godfather Part 2 for one of them.
^ only guy to get the second film. I'm guessing "hearing" is mostly what did it?

Lotta you got Oz, though. Mostly "road" and green/red, with the family thing?

We intended to watch It's a Wonderful Life over the holiday season, but didn't quite get to it. (We watched Wonder Woman 84 instead. I stand by my choice.) It's great Capra, but not the Capra that made my list.

Aliens is to Alien as T2 is to The Terminator, so I'm guessing Alien will show up at about #22, which for my money would be about right. Aliens is solid action but never quite reaches the intense highs of the original.

The Wizard of Oz, well, this is the one movie that actually gave me nightmares. I probably was about 6 or 7 when we watched it on TV, and the transformation of Miss Gulch into the Wicked Witch seared itself into my brain. It was literally about 30 years before I could bring myself to watch it again (mind, I saw plenty of actual horror films in between). When I finally watched it again (in a theater this time) it was, needless to say, not as scary, and I was also amazed that it was so short! In my head it had been this epic frightening journey, but it was actually a whimsical comic musical. Who knew? Not on my list, though, I still harbor some resentment.

The Godfather Part II is not even my favorite Coppola movie from that year, which isn't at all a slam against it, just a broad hint suggesting which of his films did make my list.

The Wizard of Oz is a very good film and an absolute classic that deserves to on this list. I remember growing up that my step-dad at the time used to make sure he watched it at least once a year around Christmas. I've inadvertently pretty much copied that tradition as it's always on TV. A simple tale that has been copied over and over ever since, there's a lot to love about it but it wouldn't come close to personally being considered one of my very favourite films nowadays.

The Godfather: Part II was number 4 on my list and I'm really disappointed to see it show up so low. One of the films I'd consider a contender for my number one spot.

For me the first two Godfather films are perfect filmmaking, combining formalist filmmaking with terrific, gripping stories. I used to consider The Godfather to be the superior film, and only found its sequel to be very good at first but now that I've seen both a handful of times my opinion has changed.

What is astonishing to me about the film is its bravery in its narrative. Taking the characters from the first film it becomes broader and experimental, giving us two storylines far apart but edited together in such a way that makes all the stories involved even more compelling. As the family expands, the problems that haunt us are more personal, intimate ones. The relationship between Michael and Fredo is absolutely devastating. For me, this film is bleaker, with its "reveals" unfolding in ways that continue to astound me each time I watch it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
^ only guy to get the second film. I'm guessing "hearing" is mostly what did it?

Lotta you got Oz, though. Mostly "road" and green/red, with the family thing?
Hearing was the big clue, but other parts apply to it aswell, Stay close to your loved ones, Fredo? Keep your enemies close.....Envious, hiding unseen, Michaels enemies, in fact all in his world are envious of him and his position.......Family, walking no road alone, isolating himself. Leaving the fair weather of Nevada for snowy New York, then later Cuba for the snow that has reached Nevada too. Probably other Fredo references in there.

You can tell me how much I've got right or misunderstood.

Nice to finally get one that I didn't copy from someone else.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Edit I didn't actually see your above explanation before I wrote the above.

Victor Fleming joins the multiples, and Francis Ford Coppola has his first entry, which likely means his three hits The Godfather, Pt. II and Apocalypse Now are all going to be in the MoFo top 40, unless we see the miracle of The Conversation getting in.

The Wizard of Oz is my number 11. Even after 81 years, the effects and music hold up to the standard that many movies set after it.

3 entries
  • James Cameron: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (71), The Terminator (56), Aliens (37)
  • Steven Spielberg: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (89), Saving Private Ryan (83), Schindler's List (41)
2 entries
  • Alfred Hitchcock: North By Northwest (57), Rear Window (40)
  • Billy Wilder: The Apartment (84), Sunset Boulevard (53)
  • Paul Thomas Anderson: Magnolia (74), There Will Be Blood (60)
  • Victor Fleming: Gone with the Wind (55), The Wizard of Oz (36)
I didn't vote for The Godfather Pt. II, but it still gets a 100/100. The scripting, acting and direction are all flawless, even if the story is less personal than the predecessor's.

I've seen both movies, Godfather 2 I liked, a good sequel to the original. I didn't care much for Wizard of Oz, saw it in color as I remember when seeing it.

The 70s are almost tied up with 12 on 2010 list and 11 on 2020 list, I think will atleast see three or four more from the 70s, my guesses are Taxi Driver, Godfather and maybe Alien. I would love to see the Warriors make it but I think it's too late for it but who knows

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

A system of cells interlinked
I've seen both movies, Godfather 2 I liked, a good sequel to the original. I didn't care much for Wizard of Oz, saw it in color as I remember when seeing it.
The film is in both black and white and color, which is how it was originally shown in theaters when it was first released. It changes to color when Dorothy arrives in Oz.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Wizard of Oz was probably the first film I fell in love with .I watched it every year on commercial TV and it was always the most thrilling and fun film a kid could imagine. It's spectacular on a technical scale and definitely introduced a little kid like me to ironic humor and satire, and much of that was in the awesome song lyrics. I fell in love with Judy Garland and it almost seems a perfect movie to me, at least in many ways. I especially love Frank Morgan, who plays the "fake" Professor Marvel, the Gatekeeper, the Carriage Driver, the Doorman and the "fake" Wizard of Oz. The F/X are awesome - the tornado, the flying witch, the flying monkeys, the scenes in the Wizard's Hall ("Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.") I want to mention again how witty the songs and dialogue are. This film may have more indelible images than any I've ever seen. Forgive the out-of-sync video, but it's the only one with what I want.

The Godfather Part II is in my Top 100, but I've never cared for it as much as the first one. When I made my Top 100 I had recently seen II again and appreciated and enjoyed it more than I ever had before. I felt quite warm toward it, so I put it quite high up on my list. Now, having seen it again a few times, I'll be the first to say that it's really not a movie to feel warm about. The second one is more of a downer with darker characters and situations, far more episodic (which means just when you get comfortable with how it's going, it changes the time frame) and it certainly feels 200 minutes long, while the original's 175 minutes seem to me to go by much quicker. Of course there is a lot to admire in II - the performances, the meticulous art direction and cinematography and the downer "qualities" I mentioned make it more like a Shakespearean tragedy. Like I say, it's a really good movie, but I have always kept it separate from the first since, after all, I saw "Part I" first and it's a completely self-contained film. I realize that another thing that those who favor the second (or see the two as one continuous movie) like is how the second comments, highlights and embellishes performances and characters in the first. Again, that's part of its strengths, so I'm not knocking it. I just prefer the 1972 version to the 1974.