James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter

• 130 points
  • 9 lists
39. Spirited Away

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 2001

Starring

Rumi Hiiragi, Miyu Irino, Mari Natsuki, Takashi Naitō

A cool pair of films, I had considered Spirited Away for a guess but didn't go for it, d'oh!

Rear Window is a really great film. There are only a few Hitchcock film's that I love more than it and it's pretty damn close. I've seen it a few times including once at the cinema which was a really good experience. The simple premise is perfect for Hitchcock's suspenseful style. It didn't make my list though.

Spirited Away is a very good animation. Overall I think Hayao Miyazaki is a solid director with a lot of enjoyable films. I don't consider it to be a masterpiece like some other people but I've only seen it once. My personal favourites from him I think are My Neighbour Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

62/62 seen.

Welcome to the human race...
Didn't vote for either. I would consider Rear Window one of Hitchcock's best, but that doesn't mean I love it. Spirited Away is a five-star classic and not far off the top 25, but I did vote for a different Ghibli film that I'm now pretty confident is not going to make the list. So it goes.

I love the concept of Rear Window, the viewers point of view is as hobbled as that of Jimmy Stewart, that we're stranded, that we are forced only to passively observe, but in the short list of Hitchcock classics, it's never been probably even in the top 10 for me. I always do appreciate how Hitchcock did his best to make Stewart come off as a pervy creep though. He just did this better in Vertigo

Spirit Away is great, and eased all of my resistance towards Japanese animation, opening up that whole world to me, even though I've only just dipped my toe in so far. Totoro is my favorite HM, and that just missed making my list, but Spirited Away is probably top 50 material. Anything that takes the basic structure of Alice in Wonderland, and adds some meat to its bones without interfering too much with the simplicity that makes it so perfect, is worth its weight in hookah smoking caterpillars every time.

Another two fine films.

Rear Window isn't a favourite Hitch of mine but it's certainly upper tier, engagingly playful and deserves to be on a list such as this.

Spirited Away is quite wondrous once it moves to the alternate universe and again fully deserves to be here.

Seen: 52/62 (Own: 22/62)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
38. Once Upon A Time In The West (1968)
37. Taxi Driver (1976)

I have to watch Rear Window again, but last time I saw it I really liked it.

I grew up with Spirited Awat and it's always been one of my favorites. It was my number #23.

Rear Window was my #17. Hard choice between this and The Birds for my Hitch pick. Grace Kelly in that dress probably pushed this one over the top as my fave. Really a perfect film by one of my favorite directors, starring my favorite actor. That damn helicopter though, I need a director's cut with that out.

Spirited Away is a fine film. I am pleased it made it just for Rauldc.

Watched Akira last night. That's probably going to get my vote for worst movie on the list. Dated animation and plot heavy dialogue made it a tough sit.

Also, good timing with the appearance of Spirited Away as yesterday was Hayao Miyazaki's 80th birthday!

That's a nice addition...

Fun Facts

Rear Window is on a whopping 14 lists, more lists than TWO films that made the top twenty! Correspondingly, it has an incredibly low ballots-to-points ratios of 9.2, which is the second-lowest on the countdown (Star Wars was the lowest, at just under 8.8).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rear Window was 3 for me. It's the movie that I can credit with starting my seriousness of film watching. Has every element I look for in a film. Especially the great performances by Stewart and Kelly.

I had Spirited Away at 15. Credited as my favorite animated movie of all time, even beating out another animation that was on my list but probably won't make it anymore.

A system of cells interlinked
Ah, glad to see these results this morning. Blade Runner will appear higher, after all! At least, it better!

Rear Window is, well...one of the best films ever made! It made my list at #24.

I have never seen Spirited Away!

Nice...

Rear Window is my #5 Hitchcock, but it's a great film. However, I only had two Hitchcock's on my Top 25. But anyway, Hitchcock does a great job of using space to tell his story with some great characters. The chemistry between Stewart and Kelly is surprisingly great, and Thelma Ritter is excellent. Definitely worthy of the list.

Most of my fellow RT/Corrie friends probably know that I wasn't a huge fan of Spirited Away, but then again, I'm not a fan of anime in general. Here's what I wrote when I first saw it a couple of years ago (click here) Anyway, I know I'm in the minority and like I said pages ago when someone was questioning if it would come up, I knew the film had its fans and would eventually appear.