The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm gonna give people the option of using the cryptic poem if they want the boost:

WARNING: "Two-morrow's hint" spoilers below
Whether estranged on the range
Or just plain insane
Whether your strength has peaked
Or is on the wane

In both our stories
It's hard to live
Having done some things
You can't forgive
I'm going with Cuckoo's Nest and Unforgiven on this one

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The zither was a popular and ubiquitous instrument used in mid 20th Century Europe for music of the day. It's use perfectly evoked the time, spirit and setting of the film.

Still, if one did not realize it's significance, nor was not familiar with the instrument, it's understandable how one could be surprised by its unusual sound.

The director, Carol Reed, heard the instrument being played in Vienna at a production party (some say a cafe), and he was immediately smitten by the sound. In my opinion the use of the instrument, and Anton Karas' stylings in particular, was a masterstroke. I couldn't imagine the film without it.
This. I think it's one of the most unique elements of the film.

I like that you're always guessing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I'm always guessing...

INCEPTION!

No, wait...

Unforgiven and
Inception.

Or... no...

Never mind. I'm clueless.
Definitely not Clueless.

As if!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Only hint/poem I've been able to come up with for tomorrow is probably too obvious, for at least one of the films, so let's go with this:

Tomorrow's hint:

Based on this and the poem, one of them is Unforgiven.

It's the other one that proves tricky. Based on the clues, I'm thinking The Dark Knight.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The zither was a popular and ubiquitous instrument used in mid 20th Century Europe for music of the day. It's use perfectly evoked the time, spirit and setting of the film.

Still, if one did not realize it's significance, nor was not familiar with the instrument, it's understandable how one could be surprised by its unusual sound.

The director, Carol Reed, heard the instrument being played in Vienna at a production party (some say a cafe), and he was immediately smitten by the sound. In my opinion the use of the instrument, and Anton Karas' stylings in particular, was a masterstroke. I couldn't imagine the film without it.
I wasn't necessarily taking issue with the instrument per se. But the score itself sounds too much like it belongs with a movie that would be a lot lighter in tone. It just sounded completely wrong to me—the music itself, played on *any* instrument. The zither perhaps made it worse, but I suspect that other instruments could have made it worse still (the bagpipes, an accordion, the triangle...).

Sorry, but at *too* many spots I was so focused on the wrongness of that music that I wasn't paying attention to the dialogue as closely. It was distracting.

I wasn't necessarily taking issue with the instrument per se. But the score itself sounds too much like it belongs with a movie that would be a lot lighter in tone. It just sounded completely wrong to me—the music itself, played on *any* instrument. The zither perhaps made it worse, but I suspect that other instruments could have made it worse still (the bagpipes, an accordion, the triangle...).
Did you listen to "The Cheese Shop" sketch from the Monty Python record before you saw The Third Man. Maybe that's why you associate it with something lighter?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Silence of the Lambs for the Best Picture HoF. It's a good movie, but there were some plot issues that bothered me about it. Most notably, why would they put an inexperienced FBI agent in with a serial killer who's known for getting in people's heads? That just didn't make sense to me at all. Regardless, it's not the type of movie that would have made my list, even if it was a perfect movie.

I watched Persona a few years ago, but I didn't care for it. If I remember correctly, I was bored with it, but I think it picked up a bit in the second half. Obviously, it didn't make my list either.

I will mention I had Persona as my 1-point film. It's definitely my favorite Bergman film, though there are a couple others that are close. My initial reaction was one of awe, and as I've seen it a few more times, I think I find the film more inscrutable with each viewing.

My List:
3. North by Northwest (#57)
15. Metropolis (#73)
21. Enter the Dragon (#97)
24. There Will Be Blood (#60)
25. Persona (#45)

Only hint/poem I've been able to come up with for tomorrow is probably too obvious, for at least one of the films, so let's go with this:

Tomorrow's hint:

Love Story? I kid! I joke!

Love both Persona and Silence of the Lambs and consider both of them as classics of their respective film genres: the "Puzzling but Great" genre, and the "Cannibalistic but I'll Still Eat a Huge Dinner Afterwards" genre. Again, I kid! Both excellent films that I totally blanked on when compiling my list. Oy!

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63

Seen 43 of the listed films.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Can I just say that if it's not Unforgiven then Yoda is the grandmaster of misdirection.

I'll copy some other people and say One Flew Over for the other one.

It's Unforgiven unless he is intentionally playing with our minds. Which honestly is a possibility.
Nah, I think even he would regard that as unforgivenable.

Unregistered User
Hey folks, been away for 2 weeks so only back now to see the list. Still expecting a load from my list but the films out so far are very good. Big problem with A Woman Under The Influence being so low but I will get over it i suppose.

• 127 points
  • 11 lists
44. Halloween

Director

John Carpenter, 1978

Starring

Donald Pleasence, Jamie Lee Curtis, P.J. Soles, Nancy Kyes

• 127 points
  • 11 lists
43. Unforgiven

Director

Clint Eastwood, 1992