Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles, Trevor Howard

• 117 points
  • 6 lists
47. The Exorcist

Director

William Friedkin, 1973

Starring

Ellen Burstyn, Linda Blair, Max von Sydow, Lee J. Cobb

I have not seen The Third Man, but seen the Exorcist, I thought the movie was more silly then scary, yea the scariest movie ever, my butt , well since this movie made it, this gives hope that Halloween might make it

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Amadeus is notable here because, as you may have noticed, it's in the top half of the list but it was only on six ballots. Films as low as 84th were on more, so it's obviously ranked very highly on the ballots it was on (it was first on two). There's only one more film the rest of the countdown on so few, and you'll see it tomorrow.
...and now you have. The Exorcist is the last film to be on only six ballots the rest of the way out, and there have already been 20 films on this countdown on more ballots. It has the fifth-highest ballots-to-points ratio of anything on this list and the highest ratio of anything from here on out. This is impressive because lower films have an "easier" time achieving that kind of thing. It achieves this because five of its six appearances are in the Top Five.

Two huge movies in cinema that I'm not completely a fan of.

Exorcist is certainly my favorite of the two, at least it's well crafted and well made all around, I just don't connect with it that much. I also find it more silly than out-right scary, but I do still admire it though.

The Third Man has an excellent finale but I hated the score and the dutch angles drove me crazy in the end. It's a fun little experimental kind of film, but it didn't really work for me.

No surprise to see The Third Man show up but it's really not a movie I care for, as mentioned previously that zither just gets on my nerves and kills it for me.

Not seen The Exorcist for decades, again no surprise to see it make the list but it's another that I've never much cared for as I found it far more laughable than horrifying/shocking. That said I only ever watched it the once and it probably does deserve a rewatch at some point to see if my attitude has changed any over the intervening period.

Seen: 44/54 (Own: 18/54)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
46. Oldeuboi (2003)
45. All About Eve (1950)

Thought "The Exorcist" was a fine film, but hasn't really aged well when compared to more modern horror. For the '70s, imagine it would be top tier. For all time, er, no. Haven't seen " The Third Man".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My List:  

41/54 films seen

Thought "The Exorcist" was a fine film, but hasn't really aged well when compared to more modern horror
I think it's still fine, but I watched it with II and III last year and found it the least favorite.

My mother and I both have our own crazy story revolving around The Exorcist.

Mine: I'm looking for Bergman movies and I find The Seventh Seal. It's the first Bergman movie I gave five stars. I become a huge fan of Max Von Sydow. The very next movie I watch, I didn't even know he was in, or was the titular character until after the opening credits: The Exorcist.

Mom's: Halloween night. She's a teenager who doesn't do Halloween. She has some friends over, and they decide to watch a movie. One of them brought over The Exorcist which Mom DID NOT want to watch. She puts a VHS into the VCR. It doesn't play. Puts in another one. No go. She goes through a couple more until her friend puts The Exorcist in, and it works! Mom assumes that the VCR is fixed, so she tries that first movie again. No go. After another round, the only movie that worked was The Exorcist. They didn't watch anything that night.

Also I'm starting to get the feeling there's going to be some truly shocking misses. Like in the case of people thinking "I would have voted for it but figured it didn't need my points." And tons of people thinking that way.

Isn't that kind of the norm? People want to see their movies place. As it is, my list was useless. Maybe not entirely useless...my list probably helped get Suspiria on it since it was quite low in the end result.

Eight films update this time.

I've most likely only seen half of these, though I'm not 100% sure of Amadeus and Raging Bull. I may have seen those as a kid, but in any case, it's so long ago that I'll consider them unseen. The other two I haven't seen are Sunset Boulevard and No Country for Old Men. At least the latter I'm probably watching at some point.

Come and See didn't blow me away, but it was alright. Like already mentioned, I'd need to rewatch it with my updated info on the German actions in Belarus (I doubt it's not enough to convert me into a hardcore fan, though).

Fight Club I saw it theater, and I remember it was the only time I ever contemplated leaving in the middle of the film. I absolutely hated it back then and haven't rewatched it since. One of those films, I suppose, that deserves a rewatch.

The Third Man I watched for the Noir HoF a while back. It looks gorgeous but, other than that, I wasn't that impressed. Another one of those OK films to me.

The Exorcist, on the other hand, retained the same position it held on my Horror countdown ballot, meaning it was my #1. My old review is way too negative (despite being one of the rare 5/5 ones), and I just can't think of putting any other movie above it at the moment.
The Exorcist review  

Seen 30/54
My list this far:
01: The Exorcist (1973) [#47]
13: The Seventh Seal (1957) [honorable mention]
15: The Terminator (1984) [#56]
25: Poison of the Fairies (1984) [1-pointer]

...The Third Man has an excellent finale but I hated the score and the dutch angles drove me crazy in the end. It's a fun little experimental kind of film, but it didn't really work for me.
Me too...from my old review:
...With all this praise, I do have a complaint, the music score. Which was composed of a zither stringed instrument. The music score was both a distraction and annoying. The other complaint is the constant overuse of the Dutch Angle shot. Normally this is used sparingly and only to show great tension or chaos in a scene. Here it was over used...
I did however rate The Third Man

These two fill me with joy, even if they barely missed my Top 25.

I had The Third Man at #29, but it was one of the last that I "pushed" out. I've seen it a couple of times and every time I love it more. From Reed's direction, the flawless cinematography, the way the mystery is built, the chemistry between Cotten and Valli, the mysterious Harry Lime, the great Major Calloway, that ferris wheel scene, and yes! the zither music. Oh, and the ending. One of the best final shots I've seen.

The Exorcist is my 2nd favorite horror film, and I had it at #49. One of those films that has "followed" me since I was a kid. Our mom forbid us from watching it, but even so, we managed to peek at a thing or two through the years. When I finally saw it as a teen, it blew my mind. I've rewatched it a couple of times after, and every time I find myself disturbed. I wrote something years ago where I talked about some parallelisms with Alien, in case anybody wants to read (click here)

Really pleased to see The Third Man. I really need to watch it again but that first watch was fantastic and I don't forget about it on my faves lists. It would sit right about here on my 100 so didn't make it on my 25.

I think The Exorcist is great too. Horror isn't my genre but the themes, performances, and cinematography in The Exorcist make it a 5 star movie for me. Depending on the day it will be in those last few spots on my 100. So it didn't make my list either.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Exorcists subject matter has always distracted from the fact that it's a fantastic film. Definitely a worthy film for the list.

Add the Third Man to my watch list.