One is obscene and yet heard
The other strong but unsound

Only one's science is sweet
But in the end both hit the ground
INCEPTION!

No, wait...

Up? And this sequel to Up?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Remember that Wings episode with Trivial Pursuit and Lowell kept guessing Ann-Margret?
No, but you're making me want to hunt the series down and rewatch it all. Such a great show...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Fight Club yesterday after reading that everyone seemed to think that it was going to be one of today's movies. I already knew the spoiler twist at the end, so I kind of watched it looking for clues about the upcoming twist at the end, and you can definitely see the twist coming if you know what to watch for. It's an interesting movie, but I doubt it would have made my list even if I hadn't known the twist.

I watched No Country For Old Men recently because it aired on one of the cable movie channels, and I thought it was a western, so I watched it for the recent western countdown. It's not really my type of movie, but it held my attention throughout, and that's a plus for a movie with this much violence.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Remember that Wings episode with Trivial Pursuit and Lowell kept guessing Ann-Margret?
No, but you're making me want to hunt the series down and rewatch it all. Such a great show...
"Wings" was such a great show. I still watch the reruns whenever they're on.

Every Wings episode I remember involves me unable to find the remote after Cheers ended.
The best episode of "Wings" was the crossover episode with Frasier Crane. It's called "Planes, Trains and Visiting Cranes".

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm reading sweet science as a boxing film. I'm gonna guess Raging Bull.
And I'm thinking the other one is Gravity.
I think you are right about Raging Bull.

I still can't see how 'obscene and yet heard' relates to Gravity though.

A system of cells interlinked

I still can't see how 'obscene and yet heard' relates to Gravity though.
I took the first two lines of this hint to be talking about each film separately, with the final two lines being about both films:

One is obscene and yet heard < ---- Not about Gravity
The other strong but unsound <------- About Gravity

Only one's science is sweet
But in the end both hit the ground

Gravity is technically a "weak nuclear force," so can be considered unsound in some cases where it can be almost completely ignored, such as in chemistry when observing the chiral behavior of chemical bonds.

"Both hit the ground" fits with Gravity, even if it's in a fairly abstract way, as it is really the object affected by gravity hitting the ground.

The biggest factor working against one of the films being Gravity is that, this high up on the list, it seems like a real stretch for it to make the list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I see. I was taking 'strong but unsound' to refer to LaMotta in Raging Bull.

I guess we'll just have to see when Yoda reveals the films!

I expect 12 Angry men and Network to make the list.
That is half right.

12 Angry Men is an absolute lock, it may even be Top Ten. Network...not so much. Brilliant film, not gonna show in the top half of this list. None of his other brilliant movies will. Network, Dog Day Afternoon, and Serpico made the '70s List but The Verdict didn't place on the '80s List and the only of his '60s films to place was Fail-Safe. At the bottom of the list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Fight Club is a film that I'd recommend to anyone who's at the start of his/her cinephilic journey. How can you not be impressed by that film? It's insanely well made and as some have already stated, it remains great on rewatches as well.

• 115 points
  • 6 lists
50. Amadeus

Director

Miloš Forman, 1984

Starring

F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce, Elizabeth Berridge, Roy Dotrice

• 115 points
  • 8 lists
49. Raging Bull

Director

Martin Scorsese, 1980