The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hopefully it'll be this one
A great film. Cheers!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Out of the last 8, I have yet to see Come and See which I have not heard of; and North by Northwest, one of Hitchcock's more well known films I have yet to see.

There Will Be Blood is something I need to rewatch since I've only seen once and it's been a while since that viewing.

Rocky While the synopsis is, at this time, pretty ordinary and done beyond death, it's the authenticity to Rocky and those in his life that brings it to the forefront of such stories and clears it from the hokey nonsense that seem to be the norm for such films.
Stallone really gives us an authentic underdog with his character, Rocky. Awkward, not too bright, but with a heart and a lot of soul, he's pretty easy to get behind and we get to see him in the rough neighborhoods of Philly just eking by and trying to get a shy woman, Adrian, to go out with him.

One minor note I always enjoyed, and this is being a Detroiter, is that seeing Diana Lewis interviewing Rocky in the meat freezer. Lewis was a Detroit news reporter that rose to anchor on our local ABC News.

The Night of the Hunter I've always loved Mitchum and he is completely ideal for the charismatic wolf in sheep's clothing. Many of his playful, cavalier mannerisms can be seen as a staple for villains in so many films now. I can't honestly say if there is such a villain before his portrayal that was allowed to be like that without coming off as creepy or more like a weasel or slime bag than with such silky confidence. There are some that come close, but not with such panache.

The Terminator Pretty happy to see T1 show up. Since it has been quite some time since I've seen either 1 or 2, I'd have to sit down and watch 'em back to back to decide which is my favorite at this time in my life.

Gone With the Wind Seen this as a kid and only once as a young adult and would like to make the time to see it once more. Helluva film.

Sunset Boulevard A Billy Wilder film makes it to this countdown! One of my favorite Directors whom I have even more respect for as a Writer. This is not the Wilder film that made my list but it is DEFINITELY one that fully deserves to be here.

Movies Watched 35 out of 48 (72.91%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (#81)
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I considered Sunset Boulevard for my list, but I just couldn't find room for it. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

I've never heard of Come and See.

I need to watch Sunset Boulevard again before the end of this list, when I make my whole chart public, since Ace in the Hole is my highest-rated Wilder film and I feel that I might change that later.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I watched Sunset Blvd for a HoF here, loved it. It did not make my list.

Come and See is something I need to revisit.

Suspect's Reviews

You should see the difference between my favorite albums and this long-running bit:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/JGuy/...ve-ever-heard/
That is an impressive list, to say the least! I can only imagine how long you've been ranking those albums!!!

Sadly I have absolutely nothing to add to what's already been mentioned in relation to the latest clue

Thank you @Austruck for giving me the heads-up about Sunset Boulevard and the deadline on Amazon Prime! I got to watch it in time and I must say that it's a fabulous film. Love it and so glad I've seen it now.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63

Have seen 36 of 48

That is an impressive list, to say the least! I can only imagine how long you've been ranking those albums!!!

Eight years, although I started it on a difference website in late 2012 and transfered it to RYM a few months afterwards.

There Will Be Blood
Only watched it once and it was over ten years ago so I don't have much to say other than I thought it was good. Not my favorite PTA movie but it's top 3. What I really remember about it is the same thing I remember about all DDL films - the dude can act! He's one of the few actors where I'll watch a movies just because he's in it.

Rocky another
If I'm going to watch an underdog story my go to is The Karate Kid. I'm kind of surprised this movie keeps hanging around top whatever lists. I like it, not a favorite.

The Night of the Hunter
Powerhouse performance from Robert Mitchum, who I always seem to like especially when he's a baddie. Another one that's been awhile since I've seen it.

North by Northwest
- Only watched it once and that was a while ago. So I liked it but apparently not enough to watch it again. That's how it goes with Hitch for me. Even if I like the movie I usually don't have the urge to watch them again (there are, of course, exceptions)

The Terminator
- Thought once the sequel showed that was it for the Terminator so I'm surprised it made it. Wasn't in my top 25 but with five popcorn boxes it's in my top 88. Yeah, it's good!

Gone With the Wind
- Another one that I didn't really want to see but did because it's always mentioned as one of the "greatest ever". Didn't expect to like it but ended up loving it enough to place in my top 25 at no. 18. Was glad that the first time I saw it was at a theater and not at home. The ending is one of my favorite endings of all time (FINALLY!).

Come and See
I need to see it again but I wasn't blown away by it like many seem to be. Saw it earlier this year for the first time and I found it kind of slow at times. Might be another one that suffered from too high of expectations.

Sunset Boulevard
- My fav Billy Wilder flick and a lot of it has to do with Gloria Swansons performance. The story is great but her performance is one of the best ever. Top 5 for sure and that's including actors, actresses, cats, dogs, everything. I remember thinking early in the movie "Wow, she's really over the top" but as I kept watching I kept liking it more and more. She gets so close to being campy but never crosses the line. One of the rare movies that hit a 5/5 on first viewing and is it possible to like a 5/5 movie more the second time around? Yes it is, as I found out the next day. Had it at no. 22.

• 112 points
  • 8 lists
52. Fight Club

Director

David Fincher, 1999

Starring

Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf

• 113 points
  • 8 lists
51. No Country For Old Men

Director

Joel Coen, 2007

Starring

Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I haven't seen it in forever, but Fight Club is so damn overrated from what I remember.

No Country is a great movie though. Kind of crazy it didn't make it last time. It's another in my top 119.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Fight Club seemed like an easy guess to the clue to. So we are back to making them so obvious that they get overlooked because it can't be that. Mind games I tell ya!

Thought my guess about Fight Club highest ranked to drop off would be right. I don't hate the movie although I haven't seen it in years. I think there is much better Fincher to vote for. Much better movies about consumerism to vote for. Better thrillers to vote for. Better Pitt movies to vote for. I think what I'm saying is, it doesn't belong on a list like this.

No Country would have been on my list if I hadn't set the one film per director rule. It's better everytime I see it. Has one of the greatest villains ever, probably the greatest for me. Awesome Bardem performance. Brolin is perfect. Love the interplay with his wife. If that's not perfect enough, Tommy Lee Jones delivers at the age of a thousand.

I've never seen Fight Club, dunno why but it's just never really appealed to me.

Kinda expected No Country For Old Men to make an appearance, watched it once and thought it was ok but I've never really been drawn to watching it again.

Seen: 41/50 (Own: 18/50)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
50. Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
49. Blue Is The Warmest Colour (2013)

Welcome to the human race...
Fight Club is a film that blew me away when I watched it at a decidedly impressionable age and it cracked both top 100s as a result, but I honestly can't remember the last time I watched it and there's a fair chance that I won't think it holds up if I watch it again. I'm definitely thinking that I'll need to revisit at least a few of the films that I've either only seen once or not seen in a long enough time and I think Fight Club is definitely going to be one of them, but I've already seen it like a dozen times (admittedly not as many times as Fred Durst) so who knows.

I revisited No Country not too long ago and I do think it holds up, but I didn't vote for it.