The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Terminator is a lean, mean thriller of a woman, a time traveling man and a Terminator. It's good, but didn't quite make my top 25 (although to be fair, I slightly preferred T2).

For the third consecutive day, a film of mine shows up on the list. Gone with the Wind is my #2.

Although I will acknowledge its take on slavery isn't politically correct, Gone with the Wind is more than just a 4 hour gussied up soap opera about a woman who fell for her sister's lover and slowly warms up to someone she meets poorly with. It's a story of a woman who had to grow up from a spoiled young woman to someone who's confident and capable of running her parent's plantation. It's a film that one minute dives into the horrors of a civil war and the next minute dives into an action sequence involving fire, horses and Rhett. It is able to handle multiple genres and does so with aplomb.

There's also one scene towards the end that I honestly can't defend.

But from the beautiful look of Tara and those gowns at the beginning barbecue to the first sight of Tara following the end of the Civil War to the changing relationship between Scarlett and Mammy (I remember another film she appeared in that I saw last year called Judge Priest where she unveiled her singing voice), Gone with the Wind is deeper than you might think and well crafted from the beginning to the climax.

My List:

2. Gone with the Wind
6. Metropolis
9. There Will Be Blood
10. City of God
13. Night of the Hunter

I'm another who prefers T1. It made my 80's list and is firmly cemented into my top 5 action films.

Gone with the Wind made the tail end of my 30's ballot.

No votes from me.

I have seen both Terminator and Gone With The Wind. I would say I like Terminator more.

Tomorrow's hint:

Not quite senseless, not quite night.
One has no voice, the other wants sight.

Marching in the woods, or riding in a car.
Dusk comes for all: nations, and stars.
The Artist
V for Vendetta

I didn't vote for either. The Terminator is a really good movie [not Arnie's best - that's Total Recall] - but I'm not really ready to defend it more than that. Instead I'll defend GWTW.

Excellent commentary, Mark! You've outlined many of the reasons why GWTW is a great film, and managed to disarm most modern day criticism of it.

Cheers!
~Doc

My List:

2. Gone with the Wind
6. Metropolis
9. There Will Be Blood
10. City of God
13. Night of the Hunter
Woah, your number 2??? I'll be watching for your no. 1.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Both The Terminator and T2 are great movies, but I prefer T2 over The Terminator, so if I was going to include one of these movies on my list, it would have been T2, but neither made my list. However I'm not surprised to see that both movies made the countdown, and I'm happy to see them both on the countdown, regardless of which movie placed higher.

Gone With the Wind is one of those movies that I like, but I rarely have a desire to rewatch it, mostly due to its length. However I've seen it several times, and I seem to like it more each time I watch it, and I think it's a worthy entry on this countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tomorrow's hint:

Not quite senseless, not quite night.
One has no voice, the other wants sight.

Marching in the woods, or riding in a car.
Dusk comes for all: nations, and stars.

The line "One has no voice, the other wants sight." made me think of the Charlie Chaplin movie City Lights (1931).

I'm still thinking about the second movie.

Nice! Things are moving at a nice clip here...especially if you've been gone a couple of days.
The Night of the Hunter What an awesome movie! To quote a tired old phrase, it works on so many levels! Film noir, horror story, fable, good-against-evil, straight-forward thriller, directing genius. etc. etc. I found there to be a good bit of humor in it also, especially when Lillian Gish gets the upper hand (gun) on Mitchum and some of his reactions. A true classic.

North by Northwest Super fun Hitchcock at his most playful. I know James Stewart, my favorite actor, was considered for this role, but fan that I am, I know that Cary Grant was the perfect fit for Roger Thornhill. Eva Marie Saint fit right into the roster of beauties that inhabited Hitchcock's films, and James Mason was almost as suave as Grant in this movie. The action set pieces were top-drawer, the music by the great Bernard Herrmann just makes things all the more thrilling, and as has been mentioned, the humor is aces. For some reason, though others might not find it all that funny, one of my favorite lines is from Cary Grant while he's looking through a telescope at Mount Rushmore and says, "I don't like the way Teddy Roosevelt is looking at me. " Gets me every time. Not the Hitchcock I picked for this list, but still glad to see it here.

The Terminator Nice to see it make it. Wow, was I blown away by this when I first saw it at the cinema. Great story, good acting, and even good effects IMO. Not getting into the "first film versus sequel" debate. I love them both equally.

Gone With the Wind Classic film that I've seen twice on television and once at one of the old grand movie palaces during a re-release back in the 90s. A great experience to be sure. Excellent film, and thanks to @mark f for his take on this once-in-a-lifetime epic.

Love all four films but not a one on my list.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63

Have seen 35 out of 46.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I didn't vote for either. The Terminator is a really good movie [not Arnie's best - that's Total Recall] - but I'm not really ready to defend it more than that. Instead I'll defend GWTW.

I might re-watch GWTW - I barely remember it.. Mark is very convincing, and every movie he's recommended to me have been great, not just good, maybe except "Give Em Hell, Harry". I think he knows exactly what I love (Lies My Father Told Me).

Let's face it, he's our movie God.

• 109 points
  • 8 lists
54. Come and See

Director

Elem Klimov, 1985

Starring

Aleksei Kravchenko, Olga Mironova, Liubomiras Laucevicius, Vladas Bagdonas

• 111 points
  • 10 lists
53. Sunset Boulevard

Director

Billy Wilder, 1950

Starring

William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich von Stroheim, Nancy Olson

Absolutely LOVED Sunset Blvd when I first watched it. Really wanna see it again...

I have not seen Come and See but I really want to. Been on my watchlist for ages and I know of its reputation. Even so I’m a bit surprised to see it here and this high. Because it’s not really on MoFo that my attention was brought to this film. But I’m glad to see it also gets praise here. I really look forward to it.