Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano, Hope Elizabeth Reeves, Ciarán Hinds

• 97 points
  • 8 lists
59. Rocky

Director

John G. Avildsen, 1976

Starring

Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers

Never seen There Will Be Blood but seen Rocky though, it was a good boxing movie, not a big fan of the boxing stuff though

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Oh yeah, third film from my list to show up...

I had There Will Be Blood at #12. I've seen the film a few times and every time I see it, I fall more in love with it. Anderson is so meticulous and masterful in building this character in this world that you feel it as if he's real. And of course, equal credit goes to Daniel Day-Lewis who delivers one of the best performances I've seen from any male actor. To me, this is probably the best film of the 2000s, or at the very least on the Top 5... and one of the best films ever, period.

As for Rocky, I saw that film dozens of times when I was a kid, and I've always loved it. But the truth is that I haven't seen it properly in probably 20 years. I need to revisit it now with a more adult frame of mind, but I'm glad it popped up here.

That's actually lower than I expected to see There Will Be Blood. I had it at #11.

Anyway, well done MoFos for getting another PTA on our list! I think that's probably the last we'll see of him now although The Master has an outside chance. I just wouldn't have expected it to beat TWBB.

Skepsis' List  

Rocky was yet another I shortlisted but got cut...

Blood though... my #21...
One of the best performances I've seen.
Unrelenting in its sheer style of photography... and after watching the making-of, I learned that the aesthetic is taken directly from turn-of-the-century olde timey photos.

One thing I loved about the movie though, was it captures your attention at the very start in a very clever way.
There's no talking for the first 15 minutes (apart from the occasional grunt and murmur from Day-Lewis) and it simply fixes your eyes to the screen immediately.
Good writing as well with what could have been a dislikeable character in Plainview... they managed to make you at least understand him and even agree with some of his more extreme and ignoble actions.

My List  

My Summary:

Seen: 33/42
My list: 3/25

My List  

Technical question: How do you guys do the collapsible post thingy that has the button to "show more"? No the spoiler one. Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, just got it.

Rocky is great. Simple, but great. It sure is higher than I think it should be though. But I enjoy it. I love me some Sly...

As for There Will Be Blood, I’m a huge PTA fan. But his “greatest masterpiece” has never been that in my eyes. I love PTA more when he’s a bit more off the main road. TWBB feels a bit more controlled and calibrated than some of his other efforts. It is certainly this most “award friendly” film yet. Of course I still think the movie is really good. There are simply too many top notch elements to call this a bad or even mediocre film. But it doesn’t do as much for me as many of PTAs others. I’ve tried 3 times I think, or more, and I’ve never walked away from it feeling what I hoped for.

Some random list trivia... PTA is now the second director to appear twice on the list, so far (Spielberg is the other).

My Summary:
Seen: 13/40

My list: 3/25
Die Hard - #10
Terminator 2 - #12
Step Brothers #25 - one pointer

Decade Breakdown so far - update
20s - 1
30s - 0
40s - 0
50s - 3
60s - 7
70s - 8
80s - 6
90s - 10
2000s- 5
2010s - 2

27 New Movies from 2020 List
15 Movies from 2010 List

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There Will Be Blood is a film that flew over my head. I didn't get what's all the fuzz about. Actually, I disliked every post-Magnolia and pre-Phantom Thread film. Perhaps I should rewatch There Will be Blood but I'm afraid I'll end up still disliking it.

Rocky is a film I watched so many years ago I don't remember it at all. To make it even worse I also watched the sequels so now all the films in the series are indistinguishable to me and both Drago and Apollo can be from the first film for all I care.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.