The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tomorrow's hint:

Eden, and what drove them out.

The first two movies that came to mind were:

Paradise (1991)
and
Eve Knew Her Apples (1945)

But I'm sure that neither of those movies made the countdown.

Singin' in the Rain was my #8.

It's just wonderful - one of the movies that got me into them in the first place that I haven't grown out of. A timeless story simply and beautifully told, and full of music, dance and satire that's more than stood the test of time.

Since my last comment I particularly like Pan's Labyrinth and Mulholland Drive, both were in contention for my list.

Skepsis' List  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Die Hard in at 63 while The Seventh Seal doesn't make the top 100? Hmmmm. I guess the people have spoken.
Well we are a strange bunch to say the least.

Die Hard in at 63 while The Seventh Seal doesn't make the top 100? Hmmmm. I guess the people have spoken.
These 96 people, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Did not enjoy Mullholland Drive, so no placement from me.
Forrest Gump is a movie I love but I didn't place it on my list.
Singin' in the Rain I love this movie besides it being a great musical, it's also a hilarious comedy. Not on my list.
Die Hard On my list at #25 Best action movie ever!

• 95 points
  • 6 lists
62. The Tree of Life

Director

Terrence Malick, 2011

Starring

Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain, Hunter McCracken

• 95 points
  • 7 lists
61. City of God

Director

Fernando Meirelles, 2002

Starring

Alexandre Rodrigues, Leandro Firmino, Phellipe Haagensen, Douglas Silva

As promised after every 10 movies

2010 vs 2020 Comparison  

What a weirdish countdown. A lot of really good movies are going to miss this.

I actually hated City of God I just don't get the love for it, but obviously we see here that I'm alone.

Tree of Life is a pretty beautiful shot film although not a favorite. I didn't think it would make it though.

These 96 people, anyway.
Indeed, those 96 people, with varying definitions of favorite, some of whom are literally just saying "I have had more fun in my life watching X instead of Y."

I watched City of God several years ago and thought it was very good, but haven't ever had the desire to revisit it. Tree of Life was a Hall of Fame nomination not long ago and I didn't care for it.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

never seen both movies, let's keep up with those 2000s and 2010s movies.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Indeed, those 96 people, with varying definitions of favorite, some of whom are literally just saying "I have had more fun in my life watching X instead of Y."
Should ruffle some feathers by listing 102-109

I thought Tree of Life was pretty good but I haven't really connected with that director yet.

City of God is the 4th from my list to show up.

6. American Beauty
18. City of God
19. The Apartment
21. Die Hard

A bit surprised to see Tree of Life here - at least this high... but I’m glad.

I had it on my list of course. I mean, if there’s a movie out there that lives up to my username it gotta be this one.

I’ve seen City of God once and really enjoyed it. But I want to see it again since it’s been so long.

Absolutely hate the opening minutes of The Tree Of Life, thankfully the rest of it is decent enough imo. Very unlikely to ever be a fillum I'll revisit though.

A little surprised to see City Of God turn up this high (yes I know it was higher last time) but there'll certainly be no complaints from me about that.

Seen: 33/40 (Own: 13/40)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
60. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
59. The Sting (1973)

Time for another 10 film update. This time there's only two I haven't seen; Andrei Rublev (which I really should watch) and Singin' in the Rain (which I happily keep in its unseen state).

Heat I saw when it came to video, and don't remember that much. It's a film I've meant to rewatch multiple times, but it never quite seems to interest me enough. Maybe one day...

American History X is another one I've seen a long time ago. Kinda like Heat above, I remember it is OK but not really to my liking.

Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite del Toro. Had I actually rewatched some movies for this countdown, it would have been among them. Nice mix of brutality and child's fantasies.

Mulholland Drive is one of the better Lynch films I've seen, but I'm not exactly a fan of his. I can't say that I remember much of this either, but I think there's some hot girl-on-girl action here.

Forrest Gump I saw in theaters (one of the two films I remember for sure seeing while in the army, the other was Pulp Fiction). Not a fan of Hanks (or Zemeckis) these days, and I don't remember liking it that much then either.

Die Hard is one of the best action movies. It didn't make my vote, but like Pan's Labyrinth, it would have deserved a(nother) rewatch for this.

The Tree of Life was in an HoF a while back, and I liked it a lot more than I expected. Not nearly enough to be even considered for this, but still. Quite beautiful and poetic.

City of God is pretty good, but there are quite a few similar films that I'd rather see on this list (from the obvious Godfather I & II to Scarface to A Prophet).

Seen 22/40
My list this far:
13: The Seventh Seal (1957) [honorable mention]
25: Poison of the Fairies (1984) [1-pointer]