The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The 2010 All Time, The Shining was in 61st place.
Yea but I predicted it doing much better this time, so I want to pretend I'm right

Got to be something Hotel related to this clue and there's not many Hotel movies, but I guess it could be just a clue about the beginning of a film.

Will be interesting. We'll see soon enough.

Die Hard? hopefully not the Shining. Too early surely.
Die Hard is too early also , well if Die Hard or Shining make it this early to the list, it's fine with me, atleast they made it to the list

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Forrest Gump was number 9 on my list. A movie I can watch countlessly. A movie that has everything for me. And love Hanks performance as well as the rest of the cast.

Mulholland is ok but I still haven't figured the movie out at all. Although sometimes I like to give props to movies for doing things like that.

Goodfellas (1990) will be #1.
It was either that or Pulp Fiction. But I thought it would be too high for Fiction which I'd guess would make the top 10.

Didn't know Goodfellas did so well last time. As per usual, I'm probably very wrong about that one.

For what it's worth in the Lynch being dated argument, I guess I can see what people mean if they're referring to the cheesiness of some of his stuff, in particular the original Twin Peaks. Lynch definitely satirises the world of film and TV, it deliberately feels largely like a bad soap opera. I was quite shocked when The Return came out just how different the feel of the show was, a lot less sentimentality at least early on. One of the things I admire about Lynch is how he's progressed as a filmmaker and has been willing to adapt to new ideas and technologies, from starting out shooting with film, to dabbling in TV, to his use of digital with Inland Empire.

My favourite films from him are Lost Highway, Inland Empire and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. They won't make it now but it would be cool to see Blue Velvet make it, I think it probably has a chance.

• 94 points
  • 7 lists
64. Singin' in the Rain

Director

Stanley Donen, 1952

Starring

Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen

• 94 points
  • 8 lists
63. Die Hard

Director

John McTiernan, 1988

Starring

Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, Reginald VelJohnson, Paul Gleason

*how F-ing SWEET would it be for Die Hard to make the countdown ON Christmas Day? The greatest yuletide film of all time!
It'd be a Christmas miracle to have Die Hard appear on Christmas Day
That it would, gentlemen. That it would.

This one was tricky, and all the hints were indirect/non-obvious...but it was chock full of 'em, at least:

After you're done relaxing in the hotel
Die Hard anecdote about how to unwind in the hotel by making your toes into fists.

put on your dancin' shoes
Dancing shoes = dance numbers. Also, dancin' rather than dancing, a nod towards Singin'.

You'll definitely want to wear shoes
Die Hard scene where he cuts his feet up because he lost his shoes (Holden nailed this part).

because this won't be cut
He cuts his feet.

It won't be dry because they're singin' in the rain. *points to forehead*

It won't be easy...so what's the opposite of easy?

I grew up watching Die Hard every Christmas and several times throughout the year. If I were to have made a top 25 back then, it might have made it (though I always preferred Die Hard II). These days though I mostly look at it with nothing more than a nostalgic fondness.

I don't think I've ever actually watched Singin' in the Rain but I'm absolutely certain I'd hate it if I were to.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Awesome that these two films fall on Christmas day.

I'd consider Singin' in the Rain a Christmas film too (like Wizard of Oz, Casablanca etc.) in the sense that it's always on TV and I always watch it over Christmas. It was actually on the BBC earlier today and I've recorded it, so probably stick it on later after I have my dinner.

I think Singin' in the Rain is a superb film and I love everything about it. Gene Kelly is superb, the musical set-pieces are shot so well, the story and Hollywood setting is really interesting to me. One of my favourite musicals. I think it was last year I got my mum and my brother to sit down and watch it properly with me and I was so happy that they enjoyed it too. I considered it for my list but it just missed out.

Die Hard is a really fun film too that I enjoy a lot. Not much to say about it but its become so iconic because it's so good. A great hero, a great villain, lots of humour, great action sequences. What more could you want?

38/38 seen.

Never seen singin in the rain, I hate musicals so no need to bother with it, but seen Die Hard alot of times and love the movie. Yippee Ki Yay Mutha F*cker, it's #10 on my top 25

Welcome to the human race...
Didn't vote for either. Die Hard cracked both my top 100s and stands a good chance of cracking a third, though I guess there's still a part of me that considers it a little too imperfect. Likewise for Singin' in the Rain, which I do want to consider the closest thing there is to an objectively perfect Hollywood musical even if so many of its numbers are unapologetically recycled (or is that reinvigorated?).