The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Saw and loved Pan's Labyrinth years ago and loved it. Haven't seen it since but the memory lingers.
Haven't heard of Andrei Rublev at all. I've heard of Tarkovsky because of [S]Solaris[/b] and The Stalker but have not actively sought his films out.

19.The Searchers (96)
1. To Kill a Mockingbird (85)

Have seen 26 of 34

Detroit Metal City definitely deserves to be higher than American History X
definitely xD

Pan labyrinth: just a fine film to me, not quite get the hype.

Andre Rublev : great film. sure we can hope for at least two more of tarkovsky. please don't disappoint me mofo.

Andrei Rublev is the first film on the countdown that I haven't seen. Fully admit that the prospect of watching it intimidates me. Its appearance should bode well for Solaris and Stalker (both phenomenal films), as they seem more widely seen and just as revered.

Caught Pan's Labyrinth in theaters when it first came out, but haven't seen it since. Need to revisit. I've said before that del Toro's reputation among cinephiles seems greater than the cumulative quality of his films. While I like most of his movies, I also tend to find them a tad overrated. Pan's Labyrinth was no exception.

Surprised to see American History X make it this high, even with the knowledge that @Derek Vinyard would be giving it 25 points. I'm skeptical that I'd find the movie as powerful nowadays as I did as a teen, but I'm sure I'd remain just as impressed with Norton's powerhouse performance. For me, the movie will always be synonymous with curb-stomping -- my go-to kill method when my katana is dulled.

Heat was my college roommate's favorite movie, and it seems like every time we'd get high, he'd force me to watch the heist sequence and the sit-down between Pacino and De Niro. It's an excellent movie -- Mann's best, imo -- but due to its length I don't often return to it.

So far A Woman Under the Influence is the only Cassavetes that I've found watchable, and that's solely because of the fearless performance from Rowlands. Stand By Me seems to be one of those movies that will stick with you forever if you watch it at just the right age. One of the better coming-of-age movies. Magnolia is PTA at his most Altman-esque. I'd rather just re-watch Short Cuts.

@crumbsroom already voiced my thoughts on Metropolis: It feels like something made by aliens, or some ancient gods that once visited the earth. I'm not even sure if I watched the proper cut, and I hadn't yet acclimated myself with the rhythm of silent films at the time, yet I walked away wondering if the medium hadn't already reached its artistic peak nearly a century ago.

Mel Brooks rarely tickles my funny bone, but even though Young Frankenstein doesn't make me LOL very much, I still find it highly enjoyable thanks to the effervescent charm of Gene Wilder and the loving homage/send-up of Universal Horror.

The prequels were my introduction to the Star Wars universe, so naturally I was befuddled by the rabid fandom. Even at a young age, when it didn't take much to impress me, I was like, "All that hype and hoopla for this?!" I didn't watch the original trilogy until in my 20's when a friend let me borrow VHS copies so that I could watch the unaltered versions. They were highly entertaining, and I can understand why they're so special to people who grew up watching them, even if the overall, never-ceasing popularity of the franchise remains a bit surprising to me.

I love Paris, Texas. Such a beautiful, poignant film. A road movie across America with a European behind the wheel. The big emotional payoff with the monologue and the one-sided mirror is one of my all-time favorite scenes. Keep meaning to watch more Wenders.

I was as young as five or six when I first watched T2: Judgement Day, so it left an indelible impression, which was further cemented by dozens of re-watches growing up. I'm sure it was the first R-rated film I ever watched. (Although my parents rarely objected to me watching R-rated films as long as the rating was because of violence and bloodshed rather than boobies and bush.) Despite its rating, I remember owning a lot of merchandise that was geared toward kids, from action-figures to trading cards to the video game to PJs. I think T2 remains one of the best action movies ever made, with stunning set pieces and FX that have held up surprisingly well. The first Terminator is great as well, and it fits my tastes better than the sequel, but I just don't have the same emotional attachment to it. Plus I simply prefer Arnold as the hero rather than the villain.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Pan's Labyrinth many years ago, but all I really remember about it was something about a little girl, and maybe a fairy that looked like a bug. I vaguely remember being very confused by the movie, and having no desire to ever rewatch it.

I've never heard of Andrei Rublev.

Andrei Rublev is the first film on the countdown that I haven't seen. Fully admit that the prospect of watching it intimidates me. Its appearance should bode well for Solaris and Stalker (both phenomenal films), as they seem more widely seen and just as revered.
Since it looks like you responded well to Stalker and Solaris, I'd say then that Andrei Rublev should be an easy watch. Despite being over 3 hours long, its pacing is a decent bit higher than the former two films with some occasional battle/fast paced violent scenes spread throughout the film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Tomorrow's hint:

I was running...and dr(iving).

Forrest Gump ("Run, Forrest! Run!", and "I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours.")
and
Back to the Future (Dr. Emmett Brown "built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?!", and "Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.")

. . . Logan's Run

. . . . . . and

7 Faces of Dr. Lao

(might be a bit low for both yet though)

A system of cells interlinked
Forrest Gump and Mulholland Drive

• 91 points
  • 9 lists
66. Mulholland Drive

Director

David Lynch, 2001

Starring

Justin Theroux, Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Ann Miller

• 94 points
  • 6 lists
65. Forrest Gump

Director

Robert Zemeckis, 1994

Starring

Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise, Mykelti Williamson

That clue was definitely too easy, but I was hoping the whiplash from really literal to really abstract would cause people to second guess themselves. It'll be all hard all the time now. Or at least I'm saying that in hopes that when it isn't it'll have the desired effect next time.

I think Forrest Gump is a fun film (and has a great soundtrack), but I've never understood why people love it so much. I didn't care at all for Mulholland Drive. David Lynch movies just aren't my thing.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

Forrest Gump is a movie I love but the combination of seeing it too much and that it has become a meme keeps me from putting it on a list like this. Really great movie with a great Hanks performance. I am glad it's here.

Did not like Mulholland Drive at all first watch. Nothing about it has really given me a desire to return to it. Sedai's story about it in this thread makes me feel like I should though. Lynch is very hit or miss for me with nothing from him in any danger of my favorite 25.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That clue was definitely too easy, but I was hoping the whiplash from really literal to really abstract would cause people to second guess themselves. It'll be all hard all the time now. Or at least I'm saying that in hopes that when it isn't it'll have the desired effect next time.
I think it should be easier once we start getting into more popular films with many voters.

What's been particularly hard has been trying to guess the films only voted for by 4-5 people, many of which I've never heard of.

I think it should be easier once we start getting into more popular films with many voters.
Yeah, by the end it'll be so obvious which films are still on the list that the hints will have to get stupidly difficult or (more likely) just replaced by trivia.

Welcome to the human race...
I put Mulholland Drive on my last top 100 - not entirely sure if it would still be on there, but I still like it quite a bit. Not sure if it's his best or even my favourite, but it may well be the quintessential Lynch film so if it ends up being the only one of his to make the list it'll be worthy recognition.

Forrest Gump...eh, that's obviously become another tall poppy to cut down in certain film circles on account of its cloying sentimentalism and dubious politics regarding the titular blithe spirit and his long-suffering love interest, but at the same time I'd begrudgingly grant it the slightest edge over other titles on this list that I've criticised like American Beauty or Braveheart.

Not a big fan of Forrest Gump although I never really watched it growing up to be able to develop an affection for it like a lot of people have.

I'm a big fan of Mulholland Drive which I was certain would make the list although I actually think most of Lynch's films are better than it. I had another of his films on my list but it almost certainly won't make it now.

36/36 seen.