Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I nominated this film because it was something a little bit different than your typical Holiday fare. I knew I wanted to do an animated film and it was this or Arthur Christmas, two holiday movies that both surprised the heck out of me with how much I enjoyed them.

With a creative mind at work and funny performances, Rise of the Guardians flies above expectations and lands with its feet firmly on the ground. A fun movie for kids and adults, it has laughs, adventures and lets us look into the eyes of depression for one character.

It's a film that I hope my kid will enjoy as I would love to add it to the yearly rotation of Holiday Classics.

Suspect's Reviews

I feel like the Muppets brand of humour is something I should love, but I simply just enjoy. That's how I viewed this film, it was enjoyable. The story is one that is told countless times around Christmas and at this point I might be numb to it all.

With funny dialogue, a great performance from My Cocaine and a great holiday time feel, Muppet's Christmas Carol is a win. My kids loved it, it helps that my son has a Kermit the Frog stuffed animal hanging off his window. He would continuously point that fact out to me during the film.

It was also nice to revisit these characters before their revitalization within recent years. Just to see them back in the day doing what they do best was an "welcome home" type feeling.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I nominated this film because it was something a little bit different than your typical Holiday fare. I knew I wanted to do an animated film and it was this or Arthur Christmas, two holiday movies that both surprised the heck out of me with how much I enjoyed them.

With a creative mind at work and funny performances, Rise of the Guardians flies above expectations and lands with its feet firmly on the ground. A fun movie for kids and adults, it has laughs, adventures and lets us look into the eyes of depression for one character.

It's a film that I hope my kid will enjoy as I would love to add it to the yearly rotation of Holiday Classics.

You made a great choice with Rise of the Guardians. I haven't seen Arthur Christmas. Is it as good as Rise of the Guardians?

I feel like the Muppets brand of humour is something I should love, but I simply just enjoy. That's how I viewed this film, it was enjoyable. The story is one that is told countless times around Christmas and at this point I might be numb to it all.

With funny dialogue, a great performance from My Cocaine and a great holiday time feel, Muppet's Christmas Carol is a win. My kids loved it, it helps that my son has a Kermit the Frog stuffed animal hanging off his window. He would continuously point that fact out to me during the film.

It was also nice to revisit these characters before their revitalization within recent years. Just to see them back in the day doing what they do best was an "welcome home" type feeling.

"My Cocaine"??? Is that a nickname for Michael Caine, or a typo?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Watching Rise of the Guardians very soon. Can't find Family Man on streaming anywhere so might take a bit longer with that one.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Home Alone

My first impression: good grief the decor is dated! What was it about the early nineties and florals?

It's been a few years since I last watched this, and I'm pretty sure that was my impression last time as well. That and PG rated films from back in the day are a lot more PG than PG rated films these days.

Anyway, it's a good movie, with nicely balanced Christmassy sentimentality and learning to appreciate what you have and slapstick violence.

I know I complained about the slapstickness of Just Friends, but at least Home Alone knows it's about a bit more than someone falling over or getting hit in the face. This is elaborate falling over, there's a set up, it goes further than that and that's why it works.

It never was and probably never will be a personal favourite, but it's a good kids' Christmas movie that is still entertaining. (Although I can do without the sudden rush of Christmas jumpers with 'Merry Christmas Ya Filthy Animal' on them...)

Watching Rise of the Guardians very soon. Can't find Family Man on streaming anywhere so might take a bit longer with that one.
I will have it to you shortly. I found it to stream for free.

A Christmas Carol (1951)
Original title: Scrooge

"The word "humbug" is misunderstood by many people, which is a pity since the word provides a key insight into Ebenezer Scrooge's hatred of Christmas. The word "humbug" describes deceitful efforts to fool people by pretending to a fake loftiness or false sincerity. So when Scrooge calls Christmas a humbug, he is claiming that people only pretend to be charitable and kind in an effort to delude him, each other, and themselves."

I learn something everyday! I read that quote in the IMDB's trivia section. I'm glad I did as I had thought that humbug meant that one didn't like Christmas or joy.

That screenshot that I used was my favorite scene. There was something touching and quite sad about the young Ebenezer all alone in the boys school. He couldn't go home for the holidays as his father blamed him for the death of his mother. She had died during his birth. One gets a sense of rejection and hurt that the young Ebenezer must have felt during those lonely years.

The images that the ghost of Christmas past shows to Scrooge during their journey, allows us to see the events in his life that helped shape the bitter person we encounter at the start of the story.

I love the stories final outcome when we see joy bringing new light to Ebenezer's weary life. His shedding of his mistrust of his fellow man is his salvation.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-22 11-09-28.png
Views:	197
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	70482  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That was a lovely scene at the school. Following that with Fanny's deathbed and her dying wish that Ebenezer didn't hear because he walked out always causes me a pang of sadness.

Just finished Home Alone. Will probably write up tomorrow night along with finishing my last movie, Just Friends.

A Christmas Carol (1951)
Original title: Scrooge

"The word "humbug" is misunderstood by many people, which is a pity since the word provides a key insight into Ebenezer Scrooge's hatred of Christmas. The word "humbug" describes deceitful efforts to fool people by pretending to a fake loftiness or false sincerity. So when Scrooge calls Christmas a humbug, he is claiming that people only pretend to be charitable and kind in an effort to delude him, each other, and themselves."

I learn something everyday! I read that quote in the IMDB's trivia section. I'm glad I did as I had thought that humbug meant that one didn't like Christmas or joy.

I learned the meaning of the word "humbug" years ago from P.T. Barnum.

The trick is not minding
Scrooge (1951)

I recently watched both this and the 1935 Seymour Hicks version. The Hicks version left me lukewarm to it. It rushed through the story, left out too much, and despite a good performance from Hicks, didn’t really feel much for the story.
The 1951 version with Alistair Sim? Now this is completely different. This is the Dickens classic I never knew existed. It covers his background unlike any I’ve seen yet. We see more then just a few glimpses. We finally understand why he is the way he is. And the changes from kind young man (played just as convincingly by George Cole) to bitter miser. We see his disappointments along the way, and each tragedy that defined him.
At the center of all this is a strong performance by Sim. He allows his eyes and face to express his feelings as much as the inflection in his voice.
And when it ends on its redemption arc, the change is is so convincing and full of funny moments.
The special effects are what you expect for it’s time, but are handled as well as could be. Each ghost that visits him are represented well. At least we see Marley in this, who is invisible in the 1935 version but is perhaps better performed regardless. His lines are delivered better, anyways. But that’s a minor quibble.
But in the end, we have a good representation of the Dickens classic. Solid film.
Great pick!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Home Alone

Harry: Why the hell did you take your shoes off?
Marv: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Tis the Season to Jolly -- Fa la lalalaa la-- ow, sh#t, d@mmit, OWIE, OUCH!!

With a crowded house full of relatives all traveling to Europe in the morning and everyone wakes up late, it's easy to forget something. Close the garage doors. Write a note to the paperboy. Turn the lights off. Forget a child. . .

During the Eighties and Nineties it was pretty much hard NOT to see some kind of John Hughes comedy in the movie theaters. Some became classics, some just sorta petered out into mediocrity.
I would put this in the former status with the premise and much of the film easily known by most folks. In particular, the final night of defending the family home to the "Wet Bandits". Played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. Easily the highlight of the entire film and, for me, everything builds up to their failed assault displayed in some rather harsh slapstick. And this is coming form someone who grew up and still loves The Three Stooges.

With an underlying premise about how family DOES matter - especially during the Holidays, this is a good addition to this HoF.

You made a great choice with Rise of the Guardians. I haven't seen Arthur Christmas. Is it as good as Rise of the Guardians?
I thought it was a nice and innocent Holiday flick. I'd put it up there with Guardians as one of those Holiday movies that no one ever talks about, but is really good.

I thought it was a nice and innocent Holiday flick. I'd put it up there with Guardians as one of those Holiday movies that no one ever talks about, but is really good.
Rise of the Guardians was a good pick, it's a good movie and fit the Christmas theme well.